Shoma Uno | Page 788 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
It was a thrill and absolute honor having Shoma here and doing so well and seeing him so happy. :love: Hope he continues to train in Champéry and grace us with his presence again next year!

formersk8ter

On the Ice
I'm assuming that Shoma and Stephane communicate with one another in English... has anyone heard Shoma speaking English lately?

Vilya

On the Ice
Country
Finland
I'm assuming that Shoma and Stephane communicate with one another in English... has anyone heard Shoma speaking English lately?

There were bits and pieces in the JNats free K&C! But as Stéph told, their "Japanese language" is the body language!

Which brings me to this hilarious interview where Shoma tells the reporter that Stéphane speaks a little Japanese and Stéph, who was listening, just pops in and says "Very little okay!"
https://twitter.com/yawning_shoma/st...017104385?s=19

In this interview, Shoma talks about 4S and the upcoming Worlds. I loved how he told that after his skate, he turned right away to see Stéphane's reaction, wondering if he was surprised too :D
https://twitter.com/yawning_shoma/status/1231305092902641665?s=19

And this might be the cutest video ever: Shoma cheering for Keiji, doing some lil happy hops ❤️
https://twitter.com/MaryAgnetha/stat...977400321?s=19

Vilya

On the Ice
Country
Finland
Thank you taro!! I just realized how amazing this "to be able to perform even better than in practice" moment actually is for Shoma - because I feel for the past 2 years or so he has repeatedly been commenting that he wants to be able to perform in the way he does in practice, and he's trying to focus on this in his training - and many times he has said that he wasn't able to do that.
Now, to give a performance that's even better than any other time in practice - that must be so important for Shoma mentally! Not to feel like he's going to competition only to be disappointed by mistakes again but to actually give a performance better than ever before. I'm so happy for him!!! And oh my god that "pigs do fly sometimes" comment :laugh: :laugh:

Such a joyful time to be his fan!

16Olympics

On the Ice
Thank you taro!! I just realized how amazing this "to be able to perform even better than in practice" moment actually is for Shoma - because I feel for the past 2 years or so he has repeatedly been commenting that he wants to be able to perform in the way he does in practice, and he's trying to focus on this in his training - and many times he has said that he wasn't able to do that.
Now, to give a performance that's even better than any other time in practice - that must be so important for Shoma mentally! Not to feel like he's going to competition only to be disappointed by mistakes again but to actually give a performance better than ever before. I'm so happy for him!!! And oh my god that "pigs do fly sometimes" comment :laugh: :laugh:

Such a joyful time to be his fan!

This exactly. They're so happy and that makes me happy.

They've been working together since November so I think they've got a body language skater English thing going on that works. Stephane has some smarts knowing that something had to change so adding the 4S and adding choreo to the spaces in the free that had lots of forward crossover stroking gave Shoma the courage to go for it.

I find myself looking at travel plans for GP and/or Worlds next year to see him so, yes, a joyful time to be a fan.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Thank you, Taro! Wow, luck was with all of us to see that 4S. Honestly, though, the whole program, it was like he was flying. Beautiful....

Danibellerika

Medalist
It's so wonderful that Shoma has rebounded! Beautiful skate! I'm so glad it's working out with him and Stephane. And I looooove his FS Costume! Looking very forward to Worlds! :hap10: :hap10: :hap10: :hap10:

IceCrystalChris

On the Ice
Well done to Shoma for a fantastic FS and gold medal! The best I've seen him perform his FS all season and I cheered so much when he finished.

Thank you Stephane for giving Shoma his confidence back and I can't wait to see where their new partnership takes them in the seasons to come!

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I have to chime in with the congrats. This is the first time I have connected to Shoma's FP this season. He skated with such confidence and ease, and added many little touches, it was very pleasant to watch. :) I hope that once again the Japanese boys manage to podium at Worlds! I certainly look forward to seeing what the 'new' Shoma can do ^ ^
I quite believe he's struggling with English - the podium reaction to 'Shoma, will you lead the victory round' spoke volumes. :] And the Keiji/Shoma reaction to the female technical controller (?) bowing instead of shaking their hands was hilarious too.

rabidline

Final Flight

I'm honestly still reeling from CC DOMO, so forgive me for rambling.

Almost every single one of his strokes, if not every stroke, was one with the music. Just... the entry to the 4S, taking off right on the piano note. The 3Aeu3F, with the final flip landing on the timpani. And that's just the obvious ones with the element, but also every simple movement: forward strokes, crossovers, turns, his arm gesture when he's preparing for his jumps- everything was with the music. I wonder if this was David Wilson's intention when he asked Karl Hugo's team to create this sort of arrangement for DOMO music track? But Shoma's blades was just one with everything: the melody, counter melody, accents, nuances- there are some parts where I thought he literally was skating the lyrics out, making his own music, and that's through the less than ideal stream quality.

It's obviously my bias talking but it's almost like Shoma's... free-styling. There was little sense of "this choreo should go here" or "it's time for me to do this move" or something like that. His skating just flows, one unbroken piece from start to finish. (I really understand what he means when he said this in the beginning of the season.) Of course I know the elements are rearranged to get the second 4T into that bonus section but the comparison shows how he started the step sequence on a later point and it doesn't... matter at all, and it even improved because everything, everything was one with the music.

I may be reaching hyperbolic levels of Shomatitis, but I really do adore Shoma's musicality. So much. Perhaps it's something innate of his, perhaps it's the results of his hard work and repeated training. Perhaps it's both. To me, Shoma doesn't just skate responding to the music or with the music, he gives back something through his skating, and makes the music sounds better. And the DOMO music arrangement is already beautiful so Shoma making it even more beautiful is a tough feat, but somehow he does- his skating brings out the layers and nuances of what seems to be like a simple and light (almost shallow-sounding), piano and orchestral addition to Calum Scott's vocals. It makes me listen to everything layered underneath it.

TL;DR I am so grateful he requested and got a new FS from David Wilson for this season, no matter how late he got it. And of course getting David to help him improve the program with Stephane. DOMO is beautiful.

PS. Sorry for the sudden bout of extreme Shomatitis, I really can't help it.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am also looking at both of his SS and FS programs this year and I am like, yes, yes, that's Uno, that's the experimentation with musical choices... yes! I have my heart in my mouth for the Worlds, but I think this had been the next most important year for him after winning silver in the Olympics... gosh, what will we see next season?

16Olympics

On the Ice
I'm honestly still reeling from CC DOMO, so forgive me for rambling.

Almost every single one of his strokes, if not every stroke, was one with the music. Just... the entry to the 4S, taking off right on the piano note. The 3Aeu3F, with the final flip landing on the timpani. And that's just the obvious ones with the element, but also every simple movement: forward strokes, crossovers, turns, his arm gesture when he's preparing for his jumps- everything was with the music. I wonder if this was David Wilson's intention when he asked Karl Hugo's team to create this sort of arrangement for DOMO music track? But Shoma's blades was just one with everything: the melody, counter melody, accents, nuances- there are some parts where I thought he literally was skating the lyrics out, making his own music, and that's through the less than ideal stream quality.

It's obviously my bias talking but it's almost like Shoma's... free-styling. There was little sense of "this choreo should go here" or "it's time for me to do this move" or something like that. His skating just flows, one unbroken piece from start to finish. (I really understand what he means when he said this in the beginning of the season.) Of course I know the elements are rearranged to get the second 4T into that bonus section but the comparison shows how he started the step sequence on a later point and it doesn't... matter at all, and it even improved because everything, everything was one with the music.

I may be reaching hyperbolic levels of Shomatitis, but I really do adore Shoma's musicality. So much. Perhaps it's something innate of his, perhaps it's the results of his hard work and repeated training. Perhaps it's both. To me, Shoma doesn't just skate responding to the music or with the music, he gives back something through his skating, and makes the music sounds better. And the DOMO music arrangement is already beautiful so Shoma making it even more beautiful is a tough feat, but somehow he does- his skating brings out the layers and nuances of what seems to be like a simple and light (almost shallow-sounding), piano and orchestral addition to Calum Scott's vocals. It makes me listen to everything layered underneath it.

TL;DR I am so grateful he requested and got a new FS from David Wilson for this season, no matter how late he got it. And of course getting David to help him improve the program with Stephane. DOMO is beautiful.

PS. Sorry for the sudden bout of extreme Shomatitis, I really can't help it.

Really do love this. You're right about skating every note. He was doing this with the JNats version but since he's added movements and he's freestyling a bit ala Stephane's influence, it just made that musicality that much more noticeable and fulfilling to watch. He's living the Stephane quote 'Go out and do it. Show us your colors.' His carriage makes his skating look so big and accessible. I'm with you on the 'can't stop thinking about that beautiful skate' and the happiness it brought. David is working on his next programs, too, according to Stephane. DOMO and SL for Jason are the two BEST programs. Now the drought til World's. I don't think he's going there just happy to be there. I envy every single person who gets to see this live.

Shoma's worth the gushing.