Shoma Uno | Page 756 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Latremu

Final Flight
I have to laugh at the "Crap, my boots are misaligned!" Explains why he didn't jump the other 4T on time. Better to skip it then try to jump with misaligned boots and fall again. It's funny how he was thinking things through on how to get another jump in and sort of laughing at it all in the back of his mind. [emoji23] I love him. He's really so relatable.

Get some rest and quality gaming time, then back to training! He never really takes a break. I'm glad he'll be staying with Stephane in Switzerland before Nationals. Ganba and tanoshimu, Shoma!

Added: I know that we want him to win, but somehow, this struggle and the journey that he's going through this season- it feels more meaningful. The fall and the fight to rise and move upwards shows the indomitable human spirit. Shoma has it in spades. He reflects the struggles we ourselves go through in our lives, and he never gives up. Thank you for being such an inspiration!

Hronop

On the Ice
Added: I know that we want him to win, but somehow, this struggle and the journey that he's going through this season- it feels more meaningful. The fall and the fight to rise and move upwards shows the indomitable human spirit. Shoma has it in spades. He reflects the struggles we ourselves go through in our lives, and he never gives up. Thank you for being such an inspiration!

Exactly my thoughts. His personality and the path he follows is what makes it really fascinating, not his medals. And if medals come, this season or in the future, this will just turn into one of these great comebacks which will make his story truly memorable and meaningful, and will somehow close the circle (or start a new one). But even if not, fans will always support him. As far as I see, his fan base only grew after Grenoble. The support he had in Moscow was unbelievable.

Latremu

Final Flight
Yes. Honestly, the skating was truly beautiful. He was so committed to this program today, and the flow was really nice to watch. His spins were good. Even the falls didn't really interrupt the program flow. It didn't feel like he was fighting through as in IDF, but that he was IN the moment. It's also reassuring that he had that sort of commitment even while he was thinking of how to add another jump in. The "before I knew it, I was at the last jumping pass" tells me that this program is now in his muscle memory- his body commits to it and gets through it even while his mind is thinking of other things.

Even if he didn't get on the podium here (there's a lot we can discuss but I choose not to), I think he's on the right track. Moreover, his beautiful smiles with Stephane in the K&C... it makes me all teary-eyed and feel faint at the same time. 🤣 That's a VERY handsome pair. [emoji41][emoji7]

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
My mom just came back after traveling after I took her to Kelowna, and she was catching up to the two events she’d missed (because she really loved SkC), and she called me to tell she really, really loved Uno in IdF. Falls or not, he’s incredible. :hap10:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
My mom just came back after traveling after I took her to Kelowna, and she was catching up to the two events she’d missed (because she really loved SkC), and she called me to tell she really, really loved Uno in IdF. Falls or not, he’s incredible. :hap10:

Uh Oh it has happened again another shoomed victim. The Shospatil is getting pretty crowded. ;)

demarinis5

Record Breaker
I wonder what program Sho has lined up for the Gala and will Calvin make an appearance?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Shoma with his YOLO 4T :eek::
He couldn't believe that he passed through his second jump either! I smile reading all these interview excerpts from him.

I wonder what program Sho has lined up for the Gala and will Calvin make an appearance?

I'm hoping for La Vie en Rose or Winter in honour of Stephane! :laugh:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Uh Oh it has happened again another shoomed victim. The Shospatil is getting pretty crowded. ;)

I dunno, seeing Hanyu live apparently was some sort of a life-changing experience or something, because she’s binge watching GP now, and, like, gets the names half-right most of the time, so the guessing game is not so bad. Was Shoma, def. based on the context of booming music and ‘he’s doing million movements in every step’ which pretty much describes GrS.

I dunno which program I want in the exhibition skate... gonna be a surprise!

Lyyli

On the Ice
It was almost too exciting to watch Shoma´s performances. After all he looked much better now, made it pretty well and skated as beautiful as always. His glance to Stephane and everybody laughing when he finished his FP was a surprising and very funny moment and in my mind somehow also raised hope for the future.

Stephane´s presence must have meant a lot for him. These two working together feels right. They are connected and Stephane is the mental support Shoma is looking for. Looks like a natural choice for the next coach but let´s see how the season of transformation goes on and shall we face one more big surprise.

rabidline

Final Flight

So well-put and can't agree more, Latremu. Following Shoma's journey this season has really made me cherish all the little things, and appreciate the things he has achieved even more. There's something very human and compelling in Shoma's quest for his happiness, even if maybe he didn't mean it to be compelling. And yes, it currently isn't translating into results especially compared to his previous seasons, but right now... this period feels so pivotal, I can't help but feeling it would be one of the deciding milestones for the future of his skating.

Also, looking at my YouTube history and feeling so, so happy that I have Shoma's SP, FS and FS practice to rewatch until JNats! And there's great fancams of them too. I mentioned it before, but I'm really loving the adjustments made to Grespi even if they still need more work, but especially the end of the StSq to the ending pose, that back twist ending pose is truly glorious and Shoma making sure to hit it right on the awesome final beat makes me instinctively want to applaud by hitting the nearest hard surface repatedly. It's been amazing since I first see it but I have no idea why it really gripped me during this week. Really hoping that Shoma gets the opportunity this season to attack Grespi when in a better physical and mental state.

Every outing of DOMO makes me strongly feel that this program is a piece of Shoma's skating soul. No matter what's going on, whether it's a disaster or a jumping pass chaos scramble- Shoma skates it so naturally. It's like... he's living this program instead of performing it. My personal interpretation of Shoma's interpretation style is he always lets himself be the vessel for the music to possess, embodying every sound, silence and reverberations to his fingertips, and DOMO's music arrangement is very sentimental and personal, it felt to me like Shoma's embodying his own soul but in sound form. I hope Shoma can skate it in competition clean this season, especially now that I've seen him doing a clean run-through of it. There's this moment in the steps sequence where after his first twizzles and back spiral, he opens his arms while looking straight to the judges/camera direction, and I can't help but reach back. It's beautiful, he's beautiful... I'm so glad I found him.

But anyway, can't wait for the Gala (no spoilers yet of what Shoma's going to skate?). Some cute content of Team Japan and Nam:
https://twitter.com/asverit/status/1195962917012807681
https://twitter.com/FSIgstories/status/1195964447707283456

c3zara

On the Ice
Country
Romania
-You were performing and then suddenly had to fix the components, how did you feel?
Shoma: When I fell on the 1st jump, that sort of messed with my feet and it made me nervous about the 2nd jump.
Oh it didn't hurt or anything but it just misplaced my feet inside my boot and i thought "god, my feet."
And then, can't believe I actually frigging passed through... the jump. For real.
And I thought "oh no I did it," but for some reason that calmed me down and I thought "okay, start from here."
Then I had been thinking about the components all the while, and before I knew it, I was almost at the last part of the program.

-From france to russia, it could have been something you've never experienced before. How would you sum up those 2 competitions?
Shoma: Well I... the 1st jump was a fail but... the 2nd jump, I also missed completely, however I feel my performance was exactly what I aimed at while practicing.
That's how I feel. Missing 2 jumps is not acceptable really, but while performing, I didn't panick.
I was laughing to myself and simply like "what to do?" So that part was good. I didn't make it worse for myself and calmed myself down.
Though I fell on some jumps, I'm trying to see it in a bigger picture, not just how it happened in this competition.
But more for the 2nd half of the season, I would have to fix it. So I'm going to work hard when I go back.

Thank you for the translation! And it’s your first post, welcome.

demarinis5

Record Breaker

jerrymouse333

On the Ice
Country
Japan
From Russia with love.:love:
It was my first experience to see figure skating overseas, and like adventure for me.
I attended men’s SP practice, 15th all the competitions, men’s FS practice, 16th all the competitions, and the gala.
So amazing experience for me.
I could meet some Russian Shoma fans and took pictures and they gave me Shoma stickers and paper banner.
They were wearing Shoma T-shirt, and they were nice.
Maybe they were waiting for Shoma’s invitation to Rostelecom.

I enjoyed SP morning practice.
Shoma was the most popular men’s skater.
I like his skating only because I love Shoma!?
Do you know Alex Shibutani’s comment about Shoma’s skating?
He said Shoma’s skating was kind like ice dancer’s, and just good to see his back cross or something.
(I’m sorry I don’t remember very well.)
I felt Shoma’s jumps were getting better and better compared with IDF.
And glad to see bar Stéphane.:luv17:

But I was very nervous to see his SP.
He fell 4F, but he was great.
I waved the banner and cheered loud with gacchan.
I was very happy to see everybody enjoyed Great Sprit.
It was like his home not away.
Great to see Russian skate fans love of Shoma.
Did someone say “Shoma kawaii” before his performance?
I loved very warm Kiss&Cry.:love:
He was not perfect but I didn’t worry about him because Stéphane was there.

I don’t have a time to check FF.
Sorry for my first day report.
I’ll try to post again.:thumbsup:

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Thank you for your report jerrymouse! Glad you enjoyed yourself and got to meet the Russian fans.
The audience was very supportive, cheering loudly for Sho and all the skaters. The camera showed
the audience after Shoma's performances and we got to see all the lovely Shoma banners.

dramasocks

On the Ice
Thank you for your report jerrymouse! :) Sounds like a really good time. Glad you were able to connect with other fans, have fun, and support the skaters!

Nam Nguyen and Shoma doing something sort of pose/hand signal during gala rehearsal :laugh: from the Olympic Channel’s instagram story
https://twitter.com/fsigstories/status/1195964447707283456?s=21

(Not sure if this has been posted) Team Japan (Kazuki, Satoko and Shoma) pictures with several other skaters preparing for the gala, from Absolute Skating’s Twitter
https://twitter.com/absoluteskating/status/1196025128720703488?s=21

Another post from Absolute Skating, this time, Shoma in his exhibition outfit :love:
https://twitter.com/absoluteskating/status/1196124008980328448?s=21

Yuhana Yokoi posed for some pictures with Shoma and Satton
https://twitter.com/fsigstories/status/1196267313068204032?s=21

Gorgeous Joosep Martinson pictures from the gala!
https://twitter.com/wmujod5vzuk2nas/status/1196159465495519232?s=21