Shoma Uno | Page 789 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

dramasocks

On the Ice
rabidline and 16Olympics, thanks for sharing your thoughts! Shoma’s skating is somehow beyond music, where it becomes the music. It really feels like the most natural progression of movement, in accordance to the music, almost like he’s transcribing it, but with movement. And I feel like David gave him a vehicle in DOMO to really bring out that high level of musicality.

Update from Itsuki (and translation by @yawning_shoma)

Itsuki:
"great job at Challenge Cup! after coming back to Switzerland, he had to get his boots prepared in a hurry. we're grateful to the boot tech that flew in from Japan!
# Skate Lab's Hashiguchi-san
# my graduation ceremony is soon
# competitions ending in smiles are the best"
(from @yawning_shoma)

Only a few weeks until then! Wishing Shoma and everyone else competing the best, and to everyone going, have fun and cheer extra loud for us!

16Olympics

On the Ice
Thanks to yawning shoma for the translation. I wonder if Itsuki got to see/do any field hockey things in NL? That would be the place if he had the time.

New boots, again? Training well spent!

globalsoul

Rinkside
I'm with Stephan, I see no limits for Shoma. DOMO is transforming into a masterpiece, a true vehicle for Shoma to express himself freely and it's such a privilege to see it.

None of the top skaters would be where they are now if they didn't truly love skating, but even with that said, Shoma is in a category above the rest. There's something so rare about him, the quality that immediately drew me in when I first saw him in juniors in 2013 or 2014 and I couldn't take my eyes off him. I never watched juniors at the time but just a glimpse of his Don Juan de Marco immediately turned me into a fan. The quality he has is hard to describe but impossible to miss - our smol, introverted guy skating from the depths of his soul is nothing short of mesmerizing. Stephan said something about how they both share this passion for skating... The word "passion" may be overused in general and should be reserved for occasions like this. Skating from your soul and leaving your heart on the ice with every performance is true passion realized.

I highly respect both Yuzu and Nathan but neither of them to me has the magic that Shoma does. I look at Yuzu and I see extreme ambition and an iron will to win. I look at Nathan and I see an highly talented and well-trained athlete. They have both produced great performances and thoroughly deserve all the metals they've won. But Shoma can surpass both of them in my book, if he's able to realize his potential. He is the most complete skater of them all.

And I love how he shows it with his most recent statements about how in the end he wants to enjoy skating more than anything, and be with a coach who enables him to do that, instead of just focusing on technical fixes and results. Now THAT's a true skater.

die Wolke

Rinkside
Thanks to yawning shoma for the translation. I wonder if Itsuki got to see/do any field hockey things in NL? That would be the place if he had the time.

New boots, again? Training well spent!

Itsuki has mentioned that Shoma changes his boots every three weeks :scard8:

CuhyShoma

Rinkside
I'm with Stephan, I see no limits for Shoma. DOMO is transforming into a masterpiece, a true vehicle for Shoma to express himself freely and it's such a privilege to see it.

None of the top skaters would be where they are now if they didn't truly love skating, but even with that said, Shoma is in a category above the rest. There's something so rare about him, the quality that immediately drew me in when I first saw him in juniors in 2013 or 2014 and I couldn't take my eyes off him. I never watched juniors at the time but just a glimpse of his Don Juan de Marco immediately turned me into a fan. The quality he has is hard to describe but impossible to miss - our smol, introverted guy skating from the depths of his soul is nothing short of mesmerizing. Stephan said something about how they both share this passion for skating... The word "passion" may be overused in general and should be reserved for occasions like this. Skating from your soul and leaving your heart on the ice with every performance is true passion realized.

I highly respect both Yuzu and Nathan but neither of them to me has the magic that Shoma does. I look at Yuzu and I see extreme ambition and an iron will to win. I look at Nathan and I see an highly talented and well-trained athlete. They have both produced great performances and thoroughly deserve all the metals they've won. But Shoma can surpass both of them in my book, if he's able to realize his potential. He is the most complete skater of them all.

And I love how he shows it with his most recent statements about how in the end he wants to enjoy skating more than anything, and be with a coach who enables him to do that, instead of just focusing on technical fixes and results. Now THAT's a true skater.

You wrote my thoughts completely. I feel that with DOMO Shoma is taking his skating to another level.
Can I love him more?

Matthew

On the Ice
Hi rabidline,
you're a pianist, right? So, you know what an experience of art, an artistic experience is. It's always a kind of -itis :) And that you - and me, and all the others - had this experience watching Shoma at the Challenge Cup means that we were watching two great pieces of art, two masterworks of figure skating. They will truly find their place in the eternal hall of that sport.
What moves me the more is that he said in an interview to have decided "to dance a bit more than usual" to please all the people which had come to the Challenge Cup to see him. THAT is a truly unique and great thing: the performing artist loves and understands his audience and, whishing to please it, to give it what it wants, creates a great piece of art, greater - like he himself said - than he did in practice, recently. Isn't this unsurmountable? The motivation to give something special and valuable to his fans leads him to do that. That's how it should be, that's ideal. (speechless) And regarding worlds, I want to say this: Shoma, we are thirsty and hungry, so, we need water and food, but not normal water and food, but pieces of art made in the medium of figure skating.

rabidline

Final Flight

globalsoul, your post makes me think of just how lucky it is that Shoma is able to connect with Stephane and his school for the next step of his career after Machiko and Mihoko pushed him to spread his wings, for reasons exactly like you said. I don't take Shoma's latest statements as him wanting to forsake winning competitions entirely, but I feel now he has a different perspective on it (especially after IDF 2019), one which is harmonious with Stephane's own perspective of skating. I hope Shoma is able to continue striving to be the best version of himself as a person and skater, while also enjoying skating. Choosing joy takes a lot of courage :agree:

I actually forgot to add this at the end of the interview he did before Nationals
but he said DOMO was intentionally designed that way, so you have a great eye. :agree:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8xtAV2zlK8

05:28
The reporter:
This season, his choreos were designed to be much more in sync with the musics.
Especially in FS, he said he even makes the sounds of entries/landings of jumps part of the music.

And here's for anyone who wants him to sing a love song for you.;)
(It's actually a song of heartbreak, but oh well)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch4a_LUDDME

I haven't thanked you, taro, your translation brought good omen for Shoma's 4S :laugh:

Yeah, I remember reading a translation from Shoma's quote before Friends on Ice about how he chose not to skate DOMO because the rink for FOI was too small (since it's an ice show) and the construction of the program requires him to skate 'unbrokenly' (paraphrasing) so I've been keeping that in mind following DOMO's development. Maybe I missed more translations but Shoma rarely talks about his program in detail so when he says anything about it, it's always interesting to me. Of course I'm assuming but the music construction of DOMO feels like it allows Shoma's skating to converse with it in this light but intimate way, and as the season progresses it's like the conversation grows richer in vocabulary and connection. I'm probably confusing everyone with this analogy, sorry :laugh:

Who can forget Lemon? And of course, almost a year later since that impromptu karaoke moment, Shoma and Koshiro are now teammates.

Hi rabidline,
you're a pianist, right? So, you know what an experience of art, an artistic experience is. It's always a kind of -itis :) And that you - and me, and all the others - had this experience watching Shoma at the Challenge Cup means that we were watching two great pieces of art, two masterworks of figure skating. They will truly find their place in the eternal hall of that sport.
What moves me the more is that he said in an interview to have decided "to dance a bit more than usual" to please all the people which had come to the Challenge Cup to see him. THAT is a truly unique and great thing: the performing artist loves and understands his audience and, whishing to please it, to give it what it wants, creates a great piece of art, greater - like he himself said - than he did in practice, recently. Isn't this unsurmountable? The motivation to give something special and valuable to his fans leads him to do that. That's how it should be, that's ideal. (speechless) And regarding worlds, I want to say this: Shoma, we are thirsty and hungry, so, we need water and food, but not normal water and food, but pieces of art made in the medium of figure skating.

Hi Matthew, welcome to the FF! Have fun and post often.

I used to be one (got to a conservatory and everything) but unfortunately I've left it for my current career, and now I'm more of an appreciator :laugh: But yes, I understand what you mean about artistic experience. Sometimes you don't need words to explain it, there's just a moment or two that makes you go, ah, yes, this.

I love what your post said about Shoma's motivation to "dance" more for the people who came to support him. Compared to other DBC members I have only watched Shoma live twice, both at the same ice show, and the funny thing is that when I see him live, I get the impression that he doesn't necessarily enjoy being in the spotlight or the star of the show- when he was collaborating or conducting the show, there's this vibe of him wanting the crowd to enjoy every performance of every skater, that they all are the stars of the show.

But when it's his turn to skate, when his own music starts- well, that's another world entirely.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I have now watched every Fan Cam, every everything for DOMO so many times that I’m starting to see it in my dreams! I liked it from the very beginning, but as Shoma is getting it more and more committed to muscle memory, it is really becoming a masterpiece. It’s such a pleasure to see him skating without his previous ankle issues. He looks SO strong, so fit and well-trained, and so committed to his performances. His stamina seems to be in a really good place too.

There definitely was a more “dance-y’ feel to the CC version, and I loved it. From beginning to end, the program was seamless and flowed SO beautifully. The last time I described a program as “seamless” was when Patrick Chan won the gold at 2016 4CC with his Chopin FS. Shoma’s beautiful skating skills (on the Patrick Chan level) were a thrill to see in this heartfelt performance. There is one move that I love so much -- it's where there is a piano chord and he does a cool head and arms movement. It just looks so awesome and is so in tune with the music...I don’t think Stephane has been emphasizing or prioritizing spins with him yet, but he already seems much more committed to the spins. Sometimes when he was tired, he had a tendency to let his focus drift a bit. Not now! Wow! That last one was a beauty and didn’t have a trace of traveling. I envision them taking his spins to a whole new level. Can’t wait to see that!

Great Spirit just keeps getting better and better. The abandon and the wildness are still controlled and provide such a great contrast to DOMO. The music is not my cup of tea, but I love that it showcases Sho’s tenacity, ferocity, and versatility. I love how the program builds and builds to the step sequence and the final pose! :clap:

What a difference a few months can make! I was really apprehensive (as many were I’m sure) about what direction Sho would take. Finding a coach for someone of his caliber, experience, and his gifts seemed to be a near-impossible task. Little did we know we would be treated to watching The Dynamic Duo. They are amazing together and definitely seem to “get” each other and to be on the same wave length.

Next up, Worlds! Just three weeks and the Prince will be in Montreal! Break those boots in Sho!!!! Light the candles for him, start the prayer circle, etc. :pray:

globalsoul

Rinkside
globalsoul, your post makes me think of just how lucky it is that Shoma is able to connect with Stephane and his school for the next step of his career after Machiko and Mihoko pushed him to spread his wings, for reasons exactly like you said. I don't take Shoma's latest statements as him wanting to forsake winning competitions entirely, but I feel now he has a different perspective on it (especially after IDF 2019), one which is harmonious with Stephane's own perspective of skating. I hope Shoma is able to continue striving to be the best version of himself as a person and skater, while also enjoying skating. Choosing joy takes a lot of courage :agree:

I totally agree! I think the motivation changes everything. If your main motivation is to "win competitions", it's like someone who wants to "get rich" - that in itself is not productive. You "get rich" or "win competitions" when you passionately and relentlessly hone your craft. You can have your eye on the prize but your love and joy has to be your craft. Only then will the results follow, and even if they don't (as it's not entirely up to you), you still have your joy and love for your craft, so basically you can't lose. I think Shoma is exactly in the right place, with the right coach by his side. <3

16Olympics

On the Ice
I think I have now watched every Fan Cam, every everything for DOMO so many times that I’m starting to see it in my dreams! I liked it from the very beginning, but as Shoma is getting it more and more committed to muscle memory, it is really becoming a masterpiece

I felt this exact same way after watching the JNats version- that I knew every move and thought it was so well done. When the CC FS started, right from the new opening move on the pose and then the added dance moves and changed jump layout and the 4S added, it showed just how much more this program could be. Compared to the JNats version, the body movements in the CC program are so much less tense which allows it to flow.
I did notice Stephane applauded the spin Shoma did in front of the kiss and cry. It was a beauty and fast so maybe a tribute to Stephane's great spinning influence.

Happy for everyone who is going to World's and can see this beautiful skating live.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I already had formed my own conclusions about Sho's programs at Challenge Cup, but I was curious to see what the thoughts were on The Skating Lesson. I know, not everyone's cup of tea. They do make some interesting observations. As best as I was able to, I transcribed their comments. I purposely left out a few things such as some comments on jump combinations and comments on the Prince's 4F.

D: We finally see Shoma Uno skating. We didn’t see him at 4CC. Where do you see him right now?

J: I was glad to hear he was doing this since he wasn’t at 4CC. The timing of this seems good. He seems more settled. There were still some issues. There was no combo in the SP. I think the potential of that short program is so immense. So, to see it just a little bit closer to how I—uh, I hope it has a moment at Worlds, because I think it really could.

(Discussion about his picking on the 4F)

D: What I did notice, we haven’t seen him skate in a while. I do have to say that overall, I think he looks more trained and more consistent. I don’t know what his training habits were before. It does seem they’ve changed the order of his program to do his jumps, then the footwork and the choreo sequence. At the end, I didn’t go back and double check. He looks more confident. His body language looks more trained and settled and better shape and happier. I thought that allowed him to fight and recover a little better. Usually when Shoma skates, I feel like I am on a wild ride with him where you don’t know what’s going to happen and you are bracing yourself. He did have a mistake in the FS but it seemed like he got things back on the next jump. I wasn’t as concerned watching him. I felt more appreciation and a relaxed quality, which then translates into the judges feeling more relaxed and higher scores. So I was seeing him as more of a medal contender again and seeing that Nats wasn’t a fluke. So, it seems that Stephane Lambiel is helping and getting him trained and ready and over the hump.

J: Maybe just having any structure in general. We saw the flip and sal, he had an issue with the 4T but then was able to rebound and put the combo on the second 4T. It seemed the combos were throwing him a little bit. At the end, he seemed very much in charge of the skate in that he didn’t seem winded and didn’t seem flustered. He could be a real wrench in things at Worlds. I really do hope he’s on that podium. Even though it’s a little more open in some sections of the FS, I still find it’s just such beautiful overall pure skating, such projected moves in general. It would be really nice to see a skater and programs like that skated well at Worlds.

D: Both music choices are perfect for him.

J: 100%

D: And they bring out different sides and really show off his skating qualities. I actually think there are times that his components are the best of the top men in terms of overall skating skills. (I know we’re going to get killed for saying that). There are things he does when he is just skating that are some of the best in terms of projection, deportment –

J: That are truly remarkable, not just good.

D: He’s shorter than the other 2 men and is more compact. He has an elegance and carries himself in a long, lean way and it works.

J: There is an abandon in those step sequences in both programs. So brilliantly crafted. In the SP by the time he gets to the footwork sequence, you are ready for it. Unlike other people with signature moves that just throw them in (the cantilever being one of them), when he does it, it really does have such impact and is such a moment…I think there are several “ah ha!” moments in the program.

D: Overall, the program just felt like he could breathe. He didn’t seem to be rushing. Typically, when he skates, there can be a frantic quality. He sometimes seems like he’s panicking if the jumps are going awry and trying to force things to happen. I felt like everything he did was able to be appreciated more because he seemed more trained and settled.

J: That’s the danger of that short program because the music is so driving and unrelenting. Sometimes he’s running after the music. He felt in front of the music this time and it was really nice.

D: I do think he’s going to be back towards the top again. I don’t know that he’s going to nail the short program. I think the consistency is still a work in progress. I don’t think they’ve made major technical changes. I have a feeling a lot of it is mental, getting rid of some bad habits, and just working that process. It seems perhaps too soon – I don’t imagine there are big changes happening on the flip. There are certain things he’s doing – checking the landings. He didn’t seem to be throwing himself into the jumps as much. Sometimes he does that and wipes out on the 3A. It did seem like he was in a better mental state.

J: His whole physical rhythm has settled down. You never know what’s going to happen. We know It’s a battle between 1 and 2. This 3rd spot is kind of up for grabs. I think Shoma (more than ever) showed he can be right in it.

D: I don’t know that he’s just going for the bronze. I think he should go to skate his best and see what happens, cos I was getting the vibe that if he could do well enough in the short and say is 4th and then smokes the FS, I could see him winning the silver.

J: I was a little afraid to say it, but I was feeling the same thing. Again, these programs are fresh, iconic, and they build. They swell and climax in just the right way that an audience is going to have a bigger effect which we know inevitably feeds that PCS mark at times with the Interpretation and Performance marks. I think his programs are the best crafted.

D: I think you had a good point about the combinations throwing him… Sometimes he gets a little apprehensive and tends to make sometimes silly mistakes in the SP. That’s why I was saying maybe it’s better if he’s 4th for having a step out on a jump. I do think Hanyu will win the short at Worlds most likely, Nathan second (perhaps), or maybe Nathan will win. They will most likely be 1 and 2 and then Shoma would be a little bit behind. In the FS I think it’s more anyone’s game.

J: Let’s say Shoma does have a small mistake. It’s very possible Aliev will also make some sort of mistake, especially if he’s trying a 4Lz in the short, which often times gets underrotated anyway. I don’t know who might beat him for that third spot. It could be someone completely out of the blue.

D: Jason Brown. Jason has been consistent with his SP scores. Danielian has been great coming in…It’s going to be very interesting at the Worlds seeing them all stack up. Vincent Zhou is climbing back up. We haven’t seen him skate since Nats. Interesting.

liv

Record Breaker
Just popping in to say that his performance last weekend was pretty impressive. I love how much he is improving with the change to Stephane. I knew he was too good for what was happening in the fall, and this is proof that he just needed some more guidance and focus from a source that could give him what he needed. Great to see him rounding into form at the most important time of the year.

SuYue Chng

Rinkside
I have been watching DOMO on repeat for several days now and still I can't seem to get enough.
Shoma skated so beautifully! :love::points::dbana:

Super excited for Worlds. 3 more weeks!! :hap93:
Hope he has a great skate, but more importantly stay healthy and enjoy himself.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Super excited for Worlds. 3 more weeks!! :hap93:
Hope he has a great skate, but more importantly stay healthy and enjoy himself.

In just 3 weeks and 1 day is the men's short program. Official practices start in 19 days! Hope he is getting in some good practice time during that time!

:dbana: :hap10: :dbana: :hap10: :dbana: :hap10: :dbana: :hap10:

rabidline

Final Flight
It's been official for a while, but Shoma's ISU profile has been updated to list Stephane and his assistant coach in Champery, Robert Dierking, as his current coaches.

(And yeah, the data for the programs seem to be for the 2018/2019 programs so we have Winter and Moonlight Sonata on his ISU profile for now. Sota Yamamoto's ISU profile that just been updated due to coaching change also has his old programs.)

https://twitter.com/aim_high__/status/1232941919983943680
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012455.htm