Shoma Uno | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

ioanna

Record Breaker
He had no chance to win against a relatively clean Boyang but 2 quads is already a big progress. Congratulations Shoma!

jace93

On the Ice
He had no chance to win against a relatively clean Boyang but 2 quads is already a big progress. Congratulations Shoma!

If he didn't underrotate the second quad toe he would have won today... If both of them skated cleanly in the long (Shoma with a clean 4t and Boyang doing his penultimate spin) but Shoma landed the 3 axel in the short he would have won again :) So I wouldn't say that he has no chanche to win against Boyang, surely he has much less room for error since much of his scores his on goe and pcs ;)

jace93

On the Ice
I have to say If one day I don't see Nobu crying after competition, that day I would cry instead of laughing.

I am just thinking, if Shoma land a 2A instead of falling on 3A in SP, he might have won.

no because of base value... his fallen 3a as practically a 4,5 point value (8,5 -3 goe -1fall) a 2a has a base value of 3,3, even with perfect goe he would have had more or less the same score he did have in the short :)

edit: a perfect 2a with all +3s has a 4,8 value (3,3 +1,5 of goe) mybe he could get some 0,1 moreon hte various pcs and the halfway mark bonus, but not enough to get the 2 points he neede to win :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
If he didn't underrotate the second quad toe he would have won today... If both of them skated cleanly in the long (Shoma with a clean 4t and Boyang doing his penultimate spin) but Shoma landed the 3 axel in the short he would have won again :) So I wouldn't say that he has no chanche to win against Boyang, surely he has much less room for error since much of his scores his on goe and pcs ;)
Of course, with 2 rotated quads his PCS would have helped him win, but can his PCS save him forever against Boyang's 3 quads and 3A? I guess we'll have to see in future competitions.

Unfortunately he's prone to UR calls on his quads so I didn't expect him to get the gold once I saw Boyang completing his jumps but as I said, it's already a big progress.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Shoma for winning the Silver Medal with a gold medal performance!
Well done!

ioanna

Record Breaker
Japan Times article on the JGP
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...p-prize-aichi-junior-grand-prix/#.VBbtXvmSyiv

Uno skated to “Don Juan de Marco” and opened with a huge quad toe loop that fired up the partisan spectators on hand. However, he underrotated the front end of his ensuing quad toe loop/double toe loop combo.

The hometown favorite battled on, hitting six triple jumps and receiving level four scores on his spins, but it wasn’t enough in the end. Jin received higher marks for technical elements, while Uno earned more for program components.

“I don’t think I skated well today because I had to include two quads in my program,” stated Uno. “My quads are not so consistent yet. I think that is why I couldn’t skate well.”

Uno said he did not feel any anxiety despite skating in front of so many friends and family.

“My triple jumps were consistent and I have confidence,” he commented. “Maybe that’s why I was not nervous.”

Interspectator

Record Breaker

Thanks! I'm glad he was not nervous. If he can keep calm throughout the rest of this season his PCS will continue to increase as judges seem to raise PCS for consistency.
His triples seem very steady, and he has a wonderful posture and flow out of his jumps.
-not to mention his beautiful skating and overall presentation.
I have big hopes for Shoma in the future.

Stay healthy and remember to have fun!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Video of Shoma landing a 3A (looks underrotated though) in practice.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=861523157206231&permPage=1

--That has filled me with hope. It IS possible for Shoma to land a 3A! Next step, land it in competition! Although, once Shoma gets the hang of a jump, he seems to be very consistent. Just look at his 4T.
I'm counting on the Japanese Juniors to step up to the plate, with all these retirements and hiatuses. They are really getting so strong. Wakaba Higuchi, Shoma Uno, and Satoko Miyahara are all showing great improvement this year. :love:

ioanna

Record Breaker
--That has filled me with hope. It IS possible for Shoma to land a 3A! Next step, land it in competition! Although, once Shoma gets the hang of a jump, he seems to be very consistent. Just look at his 4T.
That's exactly how his 4T started out, we first saw him land one in practice and so far it's been pretty consistent in competition. Hopefully the same will happen to his 3A!

ioanna

Record Breaker
Shoma landed his first 3A today at the Croatian JGP. He stepped out of it and received a -2,14 GOE but it was fully rotated so it's an important first step. He got level 4 on his stsq and spins and he's in 1st after the SP with a new personal best: 74,82
http://youtu.be/msesyFhlvKE

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Thank you for the video clip! Great skate and score for Shoma and a PB too. My fingers are crossed
that he will take Gold at this competition. Sheeesh no one in the stands, so empty.