Shoma Uno | Page 704 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Zenchio63

Final Flight

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
With all the focus on Uno’s Russian adventure, I can’t help but imagine Uno skate to Boney M’s Rasputin, even though I am aware on how many levels it is inappropriate and silly. Curious where he will go next this summer.

24. If Shoma recycled a program, which one would you like to see again?

I had been looking at his career videos, and the first one where I recognized his style was a very old Fly me to the Moon. I would be curious to see how different it would have been by 2019-2020 Uno.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
I am not sure if the May Colantotte Launch Event interview was already posted or not (had trouble searching through previous month's posts), but "Shoma's Biggest Fan" ;) suggested I share the link to a very detailed translation of the Q&A from another forum:

Q: What do you worry about staying out of Japan?
A: It's fun and comfortable in Japan. That said, first of all I'm not a type who enjoys going out of my room.
(But he doesn't mind napping in other places, and that is what counts! :laugh:)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^This was a good read. Interesting that on May 6 he was hinting that he was keeping his same programs, and he certainly doesn't seem to be thinking about going to a new coach. I guess that interview was the calm before the storm. Little did we know what was coming! Thank you to rosewood for the translation.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am not sure if the May Colantotte Launch Event interview was already posted or not (had trouble searching through previous month's posts), but "Shoma's Biggest Fan" ;) suggested I share the link to a very detailed translation of the Q&A from another forum:

Q: What do you worry about staying out of Japan?
A: It's fun and comfortable in Japan. That said, first of all I'm not a type who enjoys going out of my room.
(But he doesn't mind napping in other places, and that is what counts! :laugh:)

Thanks for the link and thank you to @rosewood at FSU for the translation, much appreciated

I thought it was interesting that he said he did not choose the overseas camps himself but it was his decision to train overseas.

rabidline

Final Flight
I think it's because of the 2026 Winter Olympics announcement (Congratulations Milan and Cortina D'Ampezzo and Italy!) but my Twitter timeline has resurrected this 2018 Milano Shoma moment:

https://twitter.com/shoma_unono/status/1143317515134574593

My heart still aches and swells whenever I rewatch it. The crowd started clapping when the female choir sang their part while Shoma was doing his transitions, the rolling threes to the 4T2T just as Carreras' voice picked up again... and the roar from the crowd after it... is just amazing. And Shoma still holding his posture and character up until the very end, that little stumble... this skate hurts my heart but it's so, so special.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oops! I completely missed that there was a second part. Here's the question that puzzles me -- if that interview was done on May 6, why is the interviewer asking him about his new coach? He didn't announce the new coach until June 3, right? Something seems off. This interview was a month prior to his announcement that he was leaving Fluffy. Unless the meaning is intended to be what do you expect from the new coach in your training camp.
Many thanks again to rosewood for the translation.

Q: Have you decided your coach yet? What are you expecting from your new coach?
A: Well,...I'm more of looking forward to the new environment. I'm excited about the environment where I can train with excellent skaters.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I think it's because of the 2026 Winter Olympics announcement (Congratulations Milan and Cortina D'Ampezzo and Italy!) but my Twitter timeline has resurrected this 2018 Milano Shoma moment:

My heart still aches and swells whenever I rewatch it. The crowd started clapping when the female choir sang their part while Shoma was doing his transitions, the rolling threes to the 4T2T just as Carreras' voice picked up again... and the roar from the crowd after it... is just amazing. And Shoma still holding his posture and character up until the very end, that little stumble... this skate hurts my heart but it's so, so special.

It is indeed very special.
I am wishing for Shoma to make more memories, happier 'Vincero!' ones, hopefully in Turin :pray:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Oh my, what a skate, what a little warrrior. I'll never forget that! It was a fight from beginning to end, but he never lost the power of the performance. Even more than the 4T2T, when he hit that 3 jump sequence, the audience went -- well, um :dbana: :dbana: :dbana: :dbana: I remember my heart was beating SO fast. What can you say but :thank: for the memories? :ghug:

dramasocks

On the Ice
Q: So we can expect some more different types of programs from you in the future?
A: A few years back I didn't like to try any types of programs or movements that I was not good at, however, these days I tend to find "Oh, I can do this." For upcoming season I asked Shae-Lynn Bourne to choreograph a new exhibition program again. The music hasn't selected yet, but I'm looking forward to working with her.

Does this mean he’ll be getting two new SLB programs? I thought I remembered him announcing SLB would be working on his SP for this season, so according to this will his new EX be from her too? (That would be so rad if that were the case, I’d be excited to see more of her choreo on him :) )

Oops! I completely missed that there was a second part. Here's the question that puzzles me -- if that interview was done on May 6, why is the interviewer asking him about his new coach? He didn't announce the new coach until June 3, right? Something seems off. This interview was a month prior to his announcement that he was leaving Fluffy. Unless the meaning is intended to be what do you expect from the new coach in your training camp.
Many thanks again to rosewood for the translation.

Q: Have you decided your coach yet? What are you expecting from your new coach?
A: Well,...I'm more of looking forward to the new environment. I'm excited about the environment where I can train with excellent skaters.

I also felt puzzled when I read this, especially given the timing of his coaching change announcement and this interview. I’m curious about this :scratch2:

Thank you for the translation rosewood!

OniBan

Final Flight

Without fail, this will go down as The Most Heroic Skate of All Time in my book. For me it's that special and rare moment when the character of the skater transcend his skating and his limits. When he braved a smile to salute the audience with tears on his cheeks, I felt like I want to do everything in my power to protect this precious human being. And when he asked in the K&C if Japan had gotten the 3 spots after the scores were announced, I knew I would be a fan for life.

gacchan

On the Ice
As for his answer in post colan totte's interview, I don't think shoma (nor the journalist) meant new full time coach. For me, the question was the follow-up question to "training camp in off season's question"

c3zara

On the Ice
Country
Romania
Does this mean he’ll be getting two new SLB programs? I thought I remembered him announcing SLB would be working on his SP for this season, so according to this will his new EX be from her too? (That would be so rad if that were the case, I’d be excited to see more of her choreo on him :) )

Yes he did say Ex at first. But I think he was still planning to keep both of last season’s programs plus idk if he knew then that he would leave his coaches for good. So many things changed. I think he’ll have just the SP done by her. A new Ex would be too much, he barely has time to prepare his competitive programs.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I need to rematch the Worlds to finally update my fam journal for Worlds/WTT, but I keep putting it off, because I just can’t. But I gotta, or I will forget all the feels.

26. What would you throw to Shoma on the ice?

My heart. But it would be too messy. So, flowers, gladiolus for strength of character :)

OniBan

Final Flight
I need to rematch the Worlds to finally update my fam journal for Worlds/WTT, but I keep putting it off, because I just can’t. But I gotta, or I will forget all the feels.

26. What would you throw to Shoma on the ice?

My heart. But it would be too messy. So, flowers, gladiolus for strength of character :)

Lariko!! Gladiolus is the EXACT flower I would give Shoma as well, for the reason you mentioned, as well as honour and conviction. I was thinking about this when I was musing about matching flowers (and their symbolisms) to his programs. Gladiolus and Turandot 2.0 (particularly the Milan performance) was a no brainer match!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Lariko!! Gladiolus is the EXACT flower I would give Shoma as well, for the reason you mentioned, as well as honour and conviction. I was thinking about this when I was musing about matching flowers (and their symbolisms) to his programs. Gladiolus and Turandot 2.0 (particularly the Milan performance) was a no brainer match!

Wow, we think alike!