Shoma Uno | Page 741 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know TSL is not everyone's cup of tea, but I was very curious to see what they thought of Shomajesty's new programs. My guess was that they would be crazy about the short, which they were. Here is pretty much a transcription of what they said, although sometimes they are both talking at the same time and it's hard to hear what they're saying! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtNjj5n_c4Y

Dave: Speaking of people we love and have a frustrated relationship with – Shoma Uno!

Jonathan: I had an ethereal moment after his short.

D: I did too. Both programs actually!

J: I jumped out of my seat practically (on the airplane). To me, it was one of the greatest things I’ve seen him do. I love ALL of it. The way it ends with that back twist. It’s just incredible! Next level! I can not love it more.

D: I love it. The quad flip, I don’t love.

J: No, no.

D: But, even with that and with the way he lands his jumps – there is something about his skating that is so exciting, so musical – both programs I really liked. They have some heart to them and some performance factor. I’m into it. I know he’s going to frustrate us. I just want him to do it. I want like Tarasova to take control of his life and to be at the boards in a mink coat screaming at him to do it. Can she work her voodoo magic on him? I just love it – both programs. I was so into it. He did have some weird errors. He did a triple sal to start the program and he had it and then he stepped out of it. He had that edge. But he fought for the 3As in his programs and bent and hung on in both the short and the free. I love the back cross-strokes after the 3rd element in the free skate. I like the program!

J: I do like the free but it’s a little more empty than I want from him at certain points. I think it’s not as important a program. I think it’s a lovely program, but truly the short is insane.

D: I was wondering if they tried to make the free skate more skateable so it’s consistent because the short is more intricate. I was thinking maybe they’re trying to go a little more lyrical in the free.

J: I understand that he’s coachless, but they could have had someone from the Federation sit with him.

D: I’m confused. If Takeshi Honda is working with him on his jumps, why doesn’t he act like a semi- coach? What is going on here?

J: Unless he doesn’t want anyone there. Again, even just the head of the team.

D: There’s a lot of speculation that he wants to go back to Machiko Yamada. But that they think he needs to mature with another coach – that they have pushed him as far as they can… I’m hoping he can find a coach that can harness this kind of talent and potential. There is so much there. He can be one of the best every single time.

J: Absolutely. Again, I can’t say enough good things about that short.

(My words -- I'm not so sure where they got their info that he wants to go back to Machiko sensei and Coach Fluffy. They make it sound like there's a lot of "buzz" about that, but I haven't seen or heard anything.)

eaglehelang

Final Flight
TSL : Jonathan is a fan of Shoma so they wouldnt be as harsh to Shoma compared to other skaters.

On Honda not sitting in the kiss & cry, I dont know how the coaching system works in Japan.
Or is it because Honda cannot travel to be with Shoma during competitions due to other work commitments.
Cos Misha Ge is only the choreographer and he sits with Kazuki Tomono & Kazuki's coach in the K&C.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
What I do know is is that in order to sit in the K&C there is a ISU rule that you have to have some type of credentials (someone else may know more of the details of the rule).
I know that Honda is a jump coach but I have no idea if he has the credentials to sit with skaters. Honda sat with Dai at WTT because Dai's coach had
a death in her family and could not be there but that was WTT a team event held in Japan and the rules could be different.

When you see choreographers sitting in the K&C it is always with the skaters coach. Only if a choreographer has the proper credentials
can they sit alone with a skater.

TSL likes Shoma but that has not stopped them from being very snarky and critical of him in the past. Nice to know that they like his programs
this season as well as us DBC do, and I do believe they are Shoomed. :dbana:

ETA: Thanks Arriba for posting the excerpt from TSL, much appreciated.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
TSL : Jonathan is a fan of Shoma so they wouldnt be as harsh to Shoma compared to other skaters.

Wrong. They have been extremely critical (and dismissive) of him many times. They are, however, big fans of his skating skills and innate musicality.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist

On Honda not sitting in the kiss & cry, I dont know how the coaching system works in Japan.
Or is it because Honda cannot travel to be with Shoma during competitions due to other work commitments.
Cos Misha Ge is only the choreographer and he sits with Kazuki Tomono & Kazuki's coach in the K&C.

His ISU biography lists Misha as a secondary coach.

Bel

On the Ice
Sorry for the late comments but I saw Shoma and my brain turned into mush :luv17:. What a great weekend at Finlandia Trophy. I went to the men’s practice and all of the competitions. It was surreal seeing him live and so close. He had a lot of problems with the 4F during the practices. I was so happy (and a little surprised) that he landed them in the competition. The only good thing about the failed 4Fs was that I got to see the famous starfish and leg up in the air poses live. He looked mostly very serious. He only smiled when he tripped and fell just like that one time he did a quad and then tripped right afterwards. I couldn’t help but laugh but to my defence he laughed at himself too. There were some problems with his SP music that resulted in some very cute and smiley pictures that has been posted already. Demi was there and his manager also showed up. I saw him after the practice while I was leaving and he was on his phone. What a surprise! Some mistakes in the competition but people cheered on him very loudly and made him smile which was great. People cheered a lot in general but he definitely got the most cheers. I love the free already. Even with the mistakes he just moves so beautifully that it was the best program of the night. I feel like he’s really starting to own the performance part too. Kobayashi was with him at the boards and had his skate guards but didn’t sit with him in K&C. She just stood at the side. They talked quite a lot after the SP. Medal ceremony was a little different than usual. They gave the medals to pairs, men and synchro teams and only after that everyone got to make the victory lap. The pairs though didn’t hear (or listen :)) and they already had a bit of an extra lap in advance. During the victory lap all the skaters high-fived people at the boards. They went back to where the press was and were taking more pictures there. Then Shoma tried to leave but the synchro girls ambushed him and took pictures with him :laugh:. The Russians pairs took pictures with him and then the little children started screaming and he went to them. I was at the other end of the rink and there were kids screaming his name right next to me for a long time. He waved a couple of times and tried to leave again :laugh:. I think at this point they had already announced that skaters should leave the ice but nobody listened. I was sure that he was going to leave but if there’s one thing he can’t say no to it’s little kids and FINALLY he skated to us. He gave some autographs and a couple of people took selfies with him. In the meantime Sota had come to us also and after a while Shoma skated to him, grabbed his waist and started to push him towards the exit. There was some guy who had appeared on the ice I assume to get them off the ice. He looked so happy and relaxed when he was interacting with the fans. It was great! And I can confirm that he really is that beautiful in real life. The pictures don’t lie! #onceadeadbanana#alwaysadeadbanana :dbana:

Congratulations Shoma for starting the season with a win! :clap: :hap10::2thumbs:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Awesome Bel! So happy for you! Isn't he amazing! We were getting worried when we didn't hear anything at all from you. We figured maybe you were really a :dbana: He always seems to have such a sense of ease when he's interacting with the fans, even if he doesn't speak English (or whatever language!). I think all the skaters are in such a tough spot when it comes to signing autographs and allowing selfies. Once they start, it's hard to stop. And when they do stop, other fans are hugely disappointed.

The crowd seemed really great. It would be so nice to hold an annual GP event in Finland! Maybe we need to get a petition going?! Someone else described the arena, and it sounded like it was really nice and very easy to get to!...Well, take a rest now. You're probably exhausted. Put your fanning leaves away until the next competition!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you Bel, so happy you had a great time. From all live reports it was an all around good event. Now the important question Bel did you get a selfie with Sho???��

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Popping in regarding the K & C

There should have been someone with him, especially if he requested it. IDK if it is different procedure for JSF but when Mirai Nagasu was coach-less there was an official or USFS rep that sat with her, or a choreographer or someone of that nature would, but they have to have credentials. She(Mirai) wasn't always alone. But again Japan FS does several things very differently than other Feds so I am not sure.

jerrymouse333

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I know TSL is not everyone's cup of tea, but I was very curious to see what they thought of Shomajesty's new programs. My guess was that they would be crazy about the short, which they were. Here is pretty much a transcription of what they said, although sometimes they are both talking at the same time and it's hard to hear what they're saying! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtNjj5n_c4Y

Thank you very much Arriba.:love:
It’s always difficult for me to hear, and really good to to see your post.
I’m very glad that Jonathan and Dave love Great Spirit.

Sorry for the late comments but I saw Shoma and my brain turned into mush :luv17:. What a great weekend at Finlandia Trophy. I went to the men’s practice and all of the competitions. It was surreal seeing him live and so close.

Thanks Bel for Finlandia report.
Glad to see you had a great time.
I know it’s great to see Shoma live because you can feel his speed and his special skating skills.
I watched it live-streams.
I was very happy that many people were cheering for Shoma and good to see Shoma and Sota’s podium.
Congratulations Shoma!
I have questions, Bel.
I remember that you mentioned like “Shoma is a very photogenic person and I’ve never seen such a photogenic person.”:luv17:
(Sorry if not your words. I was surprised because a lot of Kakkoii people in Scandinavia.)
If it was your mention, was he really photogenic?
Which is your favorite program Great Spirit or DOMO?
Once again thanks Bel for great report.:clap:

Lyyli

On the Ice
Mrs Kobayashi sat beside Yuzuru in K&C in Sochi after his SP when Brian was busy with Javi. At Finlandia she stood beside K&C when Shoma waited for his scores on the couch. I guess Kobayashi has all the credentials required by ISU etc because she is the director of figure skating in JSF. No idea why they decided to do so.

Sofia Sula has Italian coaches at the moment and because they did not attend Finlandia Trophy, people from Finnish FSA sat beside her in K&C.

Imov

Medalist
Shoma is looking good. I am glad he is getting positive feedback.
It kind of makes me feel at least his sacrifices are worth it.

Bel

On the Ice
Thank you Bel, so happy you had a great time. From all live reports it was an all around good event. Now the important question Bel did you get a selfie with Sho???��

I didn't. But I didn't even ask because I was so :shocked:

Thanks Bel for Finlandia report.
Glad to see you had a great time.
I know it’s great to see Shoma live because you can feel his speed and his special skating skills.
I watched it live-streams.
I was very happy that many people were cheering for Shoma and good to see Shoma and Sota’s podium.
Congratulations Shoma!
I have questions, Bel.
I remember that you mentioned like “Shoma is a very photogenic person and I’ve never seen such a photogenic person.”:luv17:
(Sorry if not your words. I was surprised because a lot of Kakkoii people in Scandinavia.)
If it was your mention, was he really photogenic?
Which is your favorite program Great Spirit or DOMO?
Once again thanks Bel for great report.:clap:

Ha haa :laugh: That does sound like something I would have said. I still haven't seen a picture of him where he doesn't look good. And it's not just the pictures. He looks good all the time. Even with funny expressions. How is that possible, I don't know!

I really like DOMO. I love the little dancing moves he does. I love the atmosphere he creates. I think the performance part is getting only better with time, just like TAT.

rabidline

Final Flight
Thank you so much Bel for the Finlandia report! I'm so happy you had a great time watching and cheering hard for Shoma <3

Philippines skater Edrian Celestino managed to take a photo with Shoma while in Finland! The comments section in his Instagram are hilarious to read with plenty of skaters commenting, especially with that caption :laugh:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3ptbvDA9EH/

Lovely words for Shoma from Florentina Tone, the editor of insideskating:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3pkIz5JX3R/

I'm still processing all that happened in Finland :luv17: I'm glad we still have some time before seeing Shoma again at IdF.

Edited to add: Kiss & Cry magazine has announced that Shoma will be the cover of Volume 31 of their magazines, with features of him at Japan Open and Finlandia Trophy, as well as the summer ice shows (PIW, ATS, The ICE, FOI) and appearances (Colantotte, DHC). This magazine will include a poster of him as well. I was really happy to buy my K&C magazine last season featuring Shoma, so.. definitely gonna buy this one <3

https://twitter.com/TeamKISSandCry/status/1184379026032361472
https://zasshi.tv/products/detail/HBTNM191031_001-00-00-00-00-00

rabidline

Final Flight
Shoma's ISU profile has been updated again to include another(!) music track to his 2019/2020 FS music:
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012455.htm

Music Short Program as of season 2019/2020
Great Spirit by Armin van Buuren and Vini Vici feat. Hilight Tribe

Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season 2019/2020
Our Life (Finale) performed by Brock Hewitt
Dancing On My Own performed by Callum Scott
Your Last Kiss by Karl Hugo

Interesting... to me it doesn't sound like 3 (three) music tracks mixed together :laugh: From what I can remember Mihoko's music cuts usually tries to be as close as possible to the music as they're originally recorded, I think it's cool to follow David using a different approach for the music cuts.

I haven't found the third track yet (probably I won't unless Karl Hugo posts it in his website), but the first track is here: https://downinthevalley.com/UPC/859718425632
You have to pay to download and listen to it though :)