Shoma Uno | Page 780 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
An update from Itsuki! (with some pictures of Shoma getting his new skates) and a
translation from yawning_shoma!

Itsuki: "Shoma has to have his boots prepared in a hurry and return to Switzerland....it seems he has to replace his boots in about three weeks so it's a bit of a struggle."

Itsuki also mentioned feeling better after not feeling well for a couple of weeks, is able to walk around home now, and wants to take a walk outside. Glad he’s feeling better!

So, does this mean that he has to change his boots every 3 weeks (which I find it unlikely :eeking:) or that he has to have his boots ready in three weeks for Challenge Cup?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shout out to taro for taking the time to translate Sho's interviews and
sharing with us here in FF, I nominate you as the head "translator" of
the Dead Banana Club.
:thank:

I second the motion. And maybe we need to create an MVP Award for the Dead Banana Club!

Regarding Sho's boots -- the quads make the boots break down really fast. I've always wondered why skaters don't have multiple pairs of boots available in case they have difficulties with one pair. There was a very interesting discussion going on in The Edge about boots. I found this post very interesting. This particular poster skates and is very knowledgeable. https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...ots-Problems&p=2543792&viewfull=1#post2543792

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Wow, his boots go every three weeks? And here I thought he swapped costumes often... it reminds me the Twelve Dancing Princesses Fairy Tale

rabidline

Final Flight
He said in a magazine interview(25ans, November 2018 issue) that
right before Worlds 2018 he had to change his boots due to the overuse (they're worn out), and since it usually takes a month for them to really fit his feet,
it ended up him not even being able to walk on his own after he skated his SP in the ill-fitting boots at Worlds.
So, even though he won silver there, Worlds that season had been a nightmare for Shoma.
Having learned from that experience, he went into the following season prepared.
He had more than one pair of boots made and skated for a month in each pair during the off-season,
and while it was tough doing the skating shows that summer, he successfully avoided repeating the same mistake in 2018/2019.
So, I'm thinking probably he's forced to make another spare boots (for Worlds) but would go back to the comfortable ones in 3 weeks at CC??? But I could be wrong.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing taro. If I'm not mistaken the boots Shoma used for IDF 2019 are the Risport ones with the black blades (last seen in Friends on Ice/Lombardia Trophy back from 2018) but he had the silver blades back at Rostelecom 2019, so it makes sense that he would have multiple set of boots available. And yeah I also share the same thought about Shoma breaking a new set of spare boots even if he has a "main" pair of boots ready. Hopefully he will have enough time to do it.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Interesting! Thanks for sharing taro. If I'm not mistaken the boots Shoma used for IDF 2019 are the Risport ones with the black blades (last seen in Friends on Ice/Lombardia Trophy back from 2018) but he had the silver blades back at Rostelecom 2019, so it makes sense that he would have multiple set of boots available. And yeah I also share the same thought about Shoma breaking a new set of spare boots even if he has a "main" pair of boots ready. Hopefully he will have enough time to do it.

Did he ever comment how long it takes him to break them? It seems to differ a fair bit from skater to skater.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
https://twitter.com/insideskating/status/1223573205237096449?s=20

"And a hint to make you even more curious: Stéphane felt the urgent need to change the imagery associated with Shoma's Kiss and Cry in Grenoble, so he made all efforts to stand by him, or find solutions for Shoma not to be alone again in the Kiss and Cry."

I'm so emoooooooo :sad4: :sad4:

Their instagram gives a few more details but -- oh no! They're making us wait until a few weeks before Worlds? :sad4: No, say it isn't so! They should be publishing that while we're experiencing a drought! :luv17:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8BZK-2pNnN/?igshid=8lyh3hsozdi2

Vilya

On the Ice
Country
Finland
VERY nice words from Deniss V. regarding his training mates. Thank you to Deniss' Russian fans for translating and sharing. 'It seems they are are all really inspiring each other.

https://twitter.com/choromatsu333/status/1223559242696839171?s=20

It's lovely to hear how these guys all motivate each other! Koshiro feels he gets mental support from Shoma, Deniss gets more motivated by watching his jumps and Shoma feels he can always practice a bit more with his teammates around him ❤️ I'm so happy for them all!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
During these LONG days of drought with very little news about the Prince, I wondered if anyone would be interested in reading this interview with Stephane that was done in October of 2016. Stephane is speaking about how he worked with Sho on Loco and Lavender. I enjoy his words so much, and it reminds me again of how well they work together. In my mind, I can see Sho's old face in some of the photos they posted of the two of them working. Even then, Stephane's love for Shoma came through in his words!

You were just working with Uno Shoma; specifically, what sort of advice did you give him?

Stéphane: Today and yesterday, we worked on brushing up his programs. His free program (“Buenos Aires Hora Cero/Balada para un loco”) is a tango so I explained to Shoma the qualities of a tango. He took in what I explained to him and figured out how best to present those qualities. Sharp movements, exhibiting strength―those are the most important qualities when doing a tango, and he understood that. His short program (“Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra”) is a poetic program so it’s important for the movements to be fluid. I told him to take advantage of the contrasting aspect of the short and free. Have the short program be very poetic and the tango to be distinctively powerful. What’s important is how he is able to interpret the programs in such a way. So, we practiced it over and over again, particularly in basic skating, spending most of the time working on footwork, moves-in-the-field. For instance, today, we worked on the step sequences at the start of the session. After that, we worked on jumps, mostly quad toe loops. I provided some advice to him, he just needs to practice a few times and is able to land beautiful quad toe loops. We did run-throughs with triple and quad toes.

What specific advice did you give him about the quad toe loop?
Stéphane: Mostly on how to use his back. I gave him a few pointers about his approach when entering into the quad―focusing on air position, also back and hip positions.

What would you say are Shoma’s best qualities?
Stéphane: Shoma has a lot of wonderful qualities. First off, he’s technically strong. His jumps are big and beautiful. Also, the second thing is that he has incredible charisma. When he’s out there on the ice, he’s brimming with this captivating energy. It’s amazing. People can’t stop watching when he’s out there. I love the charisma he has when he’s skating.

What is something he should work on to improve?
Stéphane: He’s good at using his upper body, very beautiful carriage, but he can work on being more effective in how he uses his upper body to his advantage. It’s important for upper body movements to move softly and in connection with his spine to further improve his jumps, since it’s essential to be able to move swiftly through each movement when jumping.