Will Lipnitskaya pull off a comeback? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Lipnitskaya pull off a comeback?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Her road to a comeback might not even be all that difficult TBH. Sotnikova doesn't appear to be coming back seriously, Pogorilaya and Leonova have yet to be a huge threat, Radionova and Medvedeva may be facing growth problems of their own.

I do think Julia was a bit screwed over last season with the judging. I would have had her edging out Radionova in the SP at TEB and then she definitely should have won the SP at the GPF. Suddenly losing to these other people probably put extra doubt in her mind, quite tough to deal with when going through growth issues and just coming off an exhausting Olympic season.

I'm sorry, but she clearly rocks off the outside edge right as she goes to jump. At best it's !.

She is clearly on the outside edge, cmon.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just managed to frame-by-frame it. It is an outside edge, but it does rock back up, and if she was tired I imagine it would be very prone to !.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just managed to frame-by-frame it. It is an outside edge, but it does rock back up, and if she was tired I imagine it would be very prone to !.

I do agree this is a case of you imagining things ;)

Let's be real about it though. Now you are creating a situation of "if she were tired" just so you can maintain your negitivity. Why is it so hard to give someone the benefit of the doubt. It's just as easy to imagine that she won't be tired on the first lutz since it's always been her first jump and in the FS if she does a later lutz that the momentum of a well executed program could carry her through.

Keep in mind that video was filmed around April 1st after only working for a month or so. She has several more months left to solidify the new technique and come on now...you can tell she is trying.

Last edited:

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
By bet is on 'she will be back'. She has the determination and is hard-working enough to rework her jump technique and regain her consistency. And her spins are simply amazing. I'm predicting we'll see a few minor jump mistakes, but she'll be much better than last season. I see her among the top 3 Russian ladies, actually!

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
If anyone missed it then here are the links to her reworked Lutz and new spin position:

Lutz: (no loop entrance, clear outside edge, fully rotated, beautiful jump ;) )
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nmo0oi6aC41tuatvv_480.mp4

Spin:
https://instagram.com/p/1NJY7CkLfj/?taken-by=sunnylipnitskaya

Obviously this isn't in competition but she said she was going to work in her edges. She has now shown us she has and is capable of a clean lutz.

Beautiful! Lutz is on a clear outside edge.

Now the question is whether her flip is still intact. She did a clean 3Z+3T at the GPF but her 3F got an edge call that was clear as day.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Beautiful! Lutz is on a clear outside edge.

Now the question is whether her flip is still intact. She did a clean 3Z+3T at the GPF but her 3F got an edge call that was clear as day.
Yes, I'm actually more worried about her flip, her Lutz has always been quite a decent one (even with an unclear edge) while her edge issues and terrible arms position in the flip have given her a lot more trouble last season :frown:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I do agree this is a case of you imagining things ;)

Let's be real about it though. Now you are creating a situation of "if she were tired" just so you can maintain your negitivity. Why is it so hard to give someone the benefit of the doubt. It's just as easy to imagine that she won't be tired on the first lutz since it's always been her first jump and in the FS if she does a later lutz that the momentum of a well executed program could carry her through.

Keep in mind that video was filmed around April 1st after only working for a month or so. She has several more months left to solidify the new technique and come on now...you can tell she is trying.

Well if you really wanted, I could have pointed out that ONE video of ONE jump does not prove anything as regards the fixing of her outside edge. I mean, I hit a proper combination spin in practice once that would have actually counted. Doesn't mean I can do it all the time. :laugh:

I would also be interested in a different angle on that jump. She does rock. There's no denying that. The question is, how far? Far enough to get a !? Or just enough that it would still be called a true Lutz? And different TPs are going to have different reads of it. One TS might look at that and say, she rocked, !. And another might say, she didn't, and leave it without. One TP might call the ! in real time and not even look at it, you know.

Jason's Lutz still makes me cringe too. And even though he worked hard on his edge so that he got more on an outside edge, there are still times he slips back into a !. He got called for it at WTT.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Her road to a comeback might not even be all that difficult TBH. Sotnikova doesn't appear to be coming back seriously, Pogorilaya and Leonova have yet to be a huge threat, Radionova and Medvedeva may be facing growth problems of their own.

Have they started growing yet? Some skaters (like Sasha Cohen) stayed tiny forever!

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
I think that she can return to her usual finesse, but the real question is, will it be enough to compete with skaters like Liza, Elena, Mao, and even some of the US ladies?

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Elena seemed to show some signs last year with some jumps that she might be going through her final big growth spurt.

I have a feeling I've read somewhere on this forum she grew about 9 cm or something like that...

Btw, is the sentence correct? I couldn't find what preposition is used with verb to grow.

Last edited:

Imagine

Medalist
I think that she can return to her usual finesse, but the real question is, will it be enough to compete with skaters like Liza, Elena, Mao, and even some of the US ladies?

At her best, she has legitimately beat all of them in the past, except maybe Mao (and I'm not one who thinks Sochi really counts). Maybe Yulia can beat Mao on occasion if Mao melts down. I think even without the triple axel, Mao will be tough to beat considering her experience and other qualities. Then again, maybe Mao won't make a full return to her previous form. Who knows, anything can happen. As for the US ladies, Yulia has consistently beat Gracie in the past, but I think it can actually be quite close when it comes to those two if Gracie actually skates clean more often. Polina could become a threat as she hasn't reached full potential yet IMO. I don't think she is a challenge for Yulia...yet. I think Ashley Wagner is a complete non-factor at this point, no offense or anything (but then again...who was Elizaveta Tuktamysheva at the beginning of last season?).

Most of her fight is going to be with her teammates though. Honestly (and I say this as a big Adelina supporter), Yulia should probably have been Russian Champion at least once at this point...dare I suggest twice. At her best, Yulia can easily beat Anna. I can see her beating Elena also, who has some possible growth issues coming up. The biggest question mark for me is Evgenia. That girl is so hungry to win...I hope no crazy stuff goes down between the two behind the scenes at training time...yikes. She definitely has the technical goods but like Elena, could there be puberty troubles on the way? :confused2: It'll be interesting to see them face off at Skate America. It will be harder to beat Elizaveta now that she has the triple axel and world champ rep (along with the other 10,000 titles she won last season). She had an amazing comeback, but didn't really become "unbeatable" until she brought out the triple axel at Worlds. I mean up until then, Elena was putting up a pretty good fight. Also she hasn't been proven to be consistent (not like anyone really can be) with the axel yet, so if she makes the risky move to put it (or them) in the FP...could go both ways. Adelina is another big unknown. She's the reigning Olympic champ yes, but out of action for quite a while. Then again, she had that dance thing, which is expected for whatever reason to elevate her artistry to some mind-blowing new level. Honestly though, I didn't have a problem with her artistry the way it was (even if it was...unique). She's also the only one who can potentially match Elizaveta by getting a triple axel.

Anyway, if she returns to her best (which is like Olympic season or better), then yes...she can definitely be competitive with Liza, Elena, Mao, and the US ladies. Can she actually beat them? Depends on so many things, who can actually say. We'll just have to see.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I have a feeling I've read somewhere on this forum she grew about 9 cm or something like that...

Btw, is the sentence correct? I couldn't find what preposition is used with verb to grow.

Your sentence was fine. Hell, you caught me off guard with your question as i would never have guessed you were not comfortable with English. :biggrin:

StylishDreaming

Rinkside
I'm confident she'll pull it off. The pressure is off of her this upcoming season (which she talked about weighing on her after Sochi) and more so on Liza and Elena. Also, I think she's young enough that it's not too late to retool her technique, so in that aspect, she should be successful as well. With bigger jumps and maybe improved components, she could easily beat most of her fellow Russian ladies.

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
At her best, she has legitimately beat all of them in the past, except maybe Mao (and I'm not one who thinks Sochi really counts). Maybe Yulia can beat Mao on occasion if Mao melts down. I think even without the triple axel, Mao will be tough to beat considering her experience and other qualities. Then again, maybe Mao won't make a full return to her previous form. Who knows, anything can happen. As for the US ladies, Yulia has consistently beat Gracie in the past, but I think it can actually be quite close when it comes to those two if Gracie actually skates clean more often. Polina could become a threat as she hasn't reached full potential yet IMO. I don't think she is a challenge for Yulia...yet. I think Ashley Wagner is a complete non-factor at this point, no offense or anything (but then again...who was Elizaveta Tuktamysheva at the beginning of last season?).

Most of her fight is going to be with her teammates though. Honestly (and I say this as a big Adelina supporter), Yulia should probably have been Russian Champion at least once at this point...dare I suggest twice. At her best, Yulia can easily beat Anna. I can see her beating Elena also, who has some possible growth issues coming up. The biggest question mark for me is Evgenia. That girl is so hungry to win...I hope no crazy stuff goes down between the two behind the scenes at training time...yikes. She definitely has the technical goods but like Elena, could there be puberty troubles on the way? :confused2: It'll be interesting to see them face off at Skate America. It will be harder to beat Elizaveta now that she has the triple axel and world champ rep (along with the other 10,000 titles she won last season). She had an amazing comeback, but didn't really become "unbeatable" until she brought out the triple axel at Worlds. I mean up until then, Elena was putting up a pretty good fight. Also she hasn't been proven to be consistent (not like anyone really can be) with the axel yet, so if she makes the risky move to put it (or them) in the FP...could go both ways. Adelina is another big unknown. She's the reigning Olympic champ yes, but out of action for quite a while. Then again, she had that dance thing, which is expected for whatever reason to elevate her artistry to some mind-blowing new level. Honestly though, I didn't have a problem with her artistry the way it was (even if it was...unique). She's also the only one who can potentially match Elizaveta by getting a triple axel.

Anyway, if she returns to her best (which is like Olympic season or better), then yes...she can definitely be competitive with Liza, Elena, Mao, and the US ladies. Can she actually beat them? Depends on so many things, who can actually say. We'll just have to see.
It'll certainly be interesting to see what it comes down to. She's beaten just about everyone there is to beat at least once, but with all the progress Liza, Elena, Ashley, and Polina made last season, I wonder if she'll be able to beat them now (which is technically what I meant when I said 'compete' with them, I just didn't make myself clear enough.) If she returns to her best, there's no doubt in my mind she could qualify for the GPF, and most definitely earn a medal at Europeans. But at Worlds, I'm not sure she'd be able to make it to the podium.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that while last season a lot of ladies took huge strides forward, Yulia took a couple steps back. She had to relearn how to jump, in a sense, and had to change a lot of aspects of her skating to accommodate her growth spurt. I do believe she can compete with them, I'm just not so sure if she'll be able to beat them.

And as for her competing against Evgenia- it's going to be neck to neck, in my opinion. While Yulia may not be able to beat Liza with her triple axel, the fight between these two is gonna be very intense. The fight between all the Russian ladies will be, especially if Adelina makes a full comeback. Really looking forward to seeing how the season plays out with them!

Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
As long as Julia can find that consistency she had, she should be good. Something really threw a wrench in her technique last season and she paid for it. It was difficult watching her struggle like that after having been so solid the season before. Honestly I just think she was burned out last season...

Missing Europeans and worlds and everything else past nationals is probably going to end up being a blessing in disguise for Julia. She's had ample time to not only to rest but to relax and recover. The video of her lutz does look improved IMO but I'm curious to see how she's doing with her flip (that was a jump that gave her trouble last season). I hope she's expanded in terms of her artistry; no more little girls in pigtails please...it's time out for that. She has the ability to be very beautiful when she's on the ice but she needs to find the right vehicle for her style of skating. I'm rarely impressed by her from a performance standpoint, especially next to skaters like Liza and Elena who tend to ooze showmanship whenever they're on the ice. Julia is a little more reserved and that works for her, but she's going to need to find a way to really draw people into her skating with her performance. I liked her R&J music from last season but the program itself was rather boring. I'm just ready to see her branch out and grow in that area of her skating.

Despite her struggles last year I think Julia is one of the frontrunners next season. There still a really big question mark over her head but Julia is the kind of skater who can get big scores as long as she skates well. Even though she was off last season she still managed to get two silver medals and make the final. I could see her legitimately challenging Liza, triple axel and all. Liza is an amazing technician but Julia is the better all-around skater IMO. Clean performances from Julia with stacked content should equal podium material.

I'm cheering her on. I'm not her biggest fan but I do think there is something very special about Julia. I would hate to see all of that potential and talent she has disappear before she ever gets the chance to really mature and grow as a skater. Plus having her around makes things so very interesting, not only in Russia but internationally as well.:biggrin:

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The video of her lutz does look improved IMO but I'm curious to see how she's doing with her flip (that was a jump that gave her trouble last season).

We should also remember that because a move hasn't been problematic in the past, it won't in the future (especially after puberty). The flip isn't the only jump that potentially could be troublesome. Going into Sochi it was a good jump for her, and then it wasn't. I could potentially see problems with the 2A and the 3S, and even the 3Lo. Or they might be great jumps for her next season.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We should also remember that because a move hasn't been problematic in the past, it won't in the future (especially after puberty). The flip isn't the only jump that potentially could be troublesome. Going into Sochi it was a good jump for her, and then it wasn't. I could potentially see problems with the 2A and the 3S, and even the 3Lo. Or they might be great jumps for her next season.

I agree with you about the 3s. If you could feel my heart race when I know it's coming. For some reason I think those are the jumps that her technique is bad on. Loop even to some extent. It's just not a fluid motion and she really fights the landings. I almost thought they added the arm stretch and then pull to the heart to hide/slash help her landings in SL. Honestly edges aside she lands flip and lutz as smooth and confident as anyone when she's on. I'm hoping that the new lutz technique pays off and gives her two completely different feels that she can execute both jumps with confidence. Still..3s scares me. It's weird that Zhenia and Sima said those were there favorite jumps. Same coach and all.

There are a lot of folks like me hoping for the best for her. I just hope it doesn't continue to sit in her head. She seems to thrive under the radar and counted out like the 2013-14 season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm hoping the best for her. She should go back to 2A+3T and 2A+3T+2T, since an edge call on the 3Z would affect the 3T on her 3Z+3T. Other than that, I expect her to skate pretty solidly. She only had two bad results last season, and it's wayyyy to soon to take her out back as so many people seem to be so eager to do.