Will Lipnitskaya pull off a comeback? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Will Lipnitskaya pull off a comeback?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are right but are you saying they ever skated and spoke like lipnitskaia?

I'm not so sure the situations are all that similar when diagnosing the off ice issues With these girls. Liza was expected to make the Olympic team and fell short so in a way she still had something to prove this season. So her language has always been around coming back and proving herself. Adelina has essentislly been in a protective bubble since Sochi. Julia may have been burned out and majorly down last season but I think it was due to an unrelenting at times media circus. Coaches were publicly attacking her while expectations were soaring. The fed itself was adding pressure by making statements in the media leading up to Russian Nationals. I can't speak for anyone else but my heart went out for her.

Keep in mind she did have one of the best SP's last year and improved it by adding 3z-3t by the end. New boots, injuries, bad prep, media circus, uncertainty in even getting a FS Program could be the source of her "wanting to quit" statements.

The good news for fans is that in the face of all of this she did show up to every event, at the fed's urging. She faced up to it and in front of the entire world we saw her devestated but she didn't quit did she. I'm hoping for brighter days. I've never cried for an athelete before Julia and I hope I never do again ;)

Nagval

Rinkside
Yulia is best in the world! I wait when she will kick off wooden "champion" Tuktamysheva.

adelia

Record Breaker
I think she will have a much better season than last. But will it be enough to win the very top prizes? It's hard to say, because the competition has gotten better too.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Yes, her jumps very good, but everything else is poorly and boring.
Boring is really the only thing that doesn't come to my mind when I think of Elizaveta. :biggrin:
And one has to admire how those Russian girls have pushed each other technically over the past couple of years. And Julia will partake in that competition again next season.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I guess we all have our own definition of 'boring'. Elizaveta had unusual costumes, an unconventional music choice (in the free skate), and successfully executed an extremely rare/difficult element at the highest levels of competition.

There are many programs I did not like / did not care for, this past season. Maybe only a couple would I refer to as 'boring'. And that's saying a lot, considering how many early groups of skaters I ended up sitting through. :drama:

I feel confident that Yulia will have a better season than the last, but the field is so stacked... her making the top 3 in Russia will be no easy feat, and would not be in my predictions. Happy to be wrong, though.

Imagine

Medalist
For me she was not "boring" because of the incredible athleticism she demonstrated, as well as her inspiring comeback story. Flexibility aside, I thought her spins were actually pretty impressive. Footwork was pretty high energy. I can understand why she may seem "boring" to some....the music and costume choices last season were not favorites of mine either. IMO, she does not necessarily have the star quality of Yulia or Elena, but I actually enjoy that unexpected-diva-within drive (my all time favorite being Shizuka and all...). It's all very subjective...whether or not someone is "boring" or not. However, to suggest that she is wooden or not a worthy "champion" is one step too far though...just an opinion :slink:

adelia

Record Breaker
Yes, her jumps very good, but everything else is poorly and boring.
Nah, not boring. If anything, lots of drama these days. :laugh:

The top Russian girls are all very different stylistically. I think they each have something interesting to offer.

jkun

Final Flight
I'm hoping the best for her. She should go back to 2A+3T and 2A+3T+2T, since an edge call on the 3Z would affect the 3T on her 3Z+3T. Other than that, I expect her to skate pretty solidly. She only had two bad results last season, and it's wayyyy to soon to take her out back as so many people seem to be so eager to do.

Although this doesnt change the point value, it gives off a junior-ish vibe. As a Judge I'd hope that those with more difficult combos are end up higher up than those with easier combos (But same base value).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Although this doesnt change the point value, it gives off a junior-ish vibe. As a Judge I'd hope that those with more difficult combos are end up higher up than those with easier combos (But same base value).

I think the judges tend to compensate for the difference in difficulty in PCS. The technical scoring, ideally, should reflect the difficulty so the judges aren't making up the difference elsewhere. A 3Z/3T plus a solo 2A is far more difficult than a 2A/3T plus a solo 3Z, yet there is no way for the judges to reflect that in their technical scores.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think the judges tend to compensate for the difference in difficulty in PCS. The technical scoring, ideally, should reflect the difficulty so the judges aren't making up the difference elsewhere. A 3Z/3T plus a solo 2A is far more difficult than a 2A/3T plus a solo 3Z, yet there is no way for the judges to reflect that in their technical scores.
Do you have an example for that? Apart from personal preferences I don't see the judges compensating anything.
I think that combos should have higher BV's if the second jump is a Loop, but I have no problem if 3Lz-3T + 2A and 2A-3T + 2Lz have the same BV. The ladies have to go for a difficult combo in the SP anyway, I like it when they have more options, show different variations in the FP. But I don't like it when they do the same combo in the FP two times. F.e. two times 2A-3T. There should be a rule against that.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Flexibility aside, I thought her spins were actually pretty impressive.

Tukt's flying sit and layback are not good. She shouldn't be getting credit for the sideways layback position as a difficult variation, there's not enough bend there, and in general she's not fast or well-positioned. Her combination spin is better but still not great. The GOE's she got on those elements at Worlds were ridiculous.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Tukt's flying sit and layback are not good. She shouldn't be getting credit for the sideways layback position as a difficult variation, there's not enough bend there, and in general she's not fast or well-positioned. Her combination spin is better but still not great. The GOE's she got on those elements at Worlds were ridiculous.

I definitely agree with this. Her spins are better than they were in years past but I don't think she deserves anything over a +1...maybe a +2 for her combo spin but that's it. I've never found Liza to be boring. Stylistically, I find her to be a "one note" skater but the style that she has does work with her diva-like personality on the ice. I didn't really care for her SP last year but I liked her FS. Lots of energy, fun...it was a good one.

I admire Liza's amazing jumps, her consistency and mental toughness, and her tenacity. A year ago people were calling for her retirement...now she's the GPF, European and world champion. I love a good underdog/comeback story!:cheer:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Do you have an example for that?

It's hard to pinpoint examples because so many things unrelated to how the skater actually performs affects PCS (i.e. skate order, competition location, etc.). Maybe Carolina getting the highest PCS by a good margin in the Sochi SP when she did a 3/3, but 3rd in PCS when two skaters did more difficult 3/3 combos in the LP?

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
It's hard to pinpoint examples because so many things unrelated to how the skater actually performs affects PCS (i.e. skate order, competition location, etc.). Maybe Carolina getting the highest PCS by a good margin in the Sochi SP when she did a 3/3, but 3rd in PCS when two skaters did more difficult 3/3 combos in the LP?
Hmm ... yes, you could have a point here. But the judges didn't apply that logic to Mao's PCS score in the LP.
And I also taught that Satoko's PCS were comparatively low last season, but her doing 2x 2A-3T in the FP would kind of justify that for me.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Hmm ... yes, you could have a point here. But the judges didn't apply that logic to Mao's PCS score in the LP.
And I also taught that Satoko's PCS were comparatively low last season, but her doing 2x 2A-3T in the FP would kind of justify that for me.

i see your point about 2 2A3T but both of the combinations were at 2nd half and one of them is last jumping pass of the program and if sth went wrong there is no way to recover from that so that should be taken into consideration as well
on the topic, i think Julia can (and will) come back (even stronger than before if she learned sth from her mistakes last year),videos and news sounds promising and i cant wait to see her new programs, she is my favourite Russian lady :cheer:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
i see your point about 2 2A3T but both of the combinations were at 2nd half and one of them is last jumping pass of the program and if sth went wrong there is no way to recover from that so that should be taken into consideration as well
on the topic, i think Julia can (and will) come back (even stronger than before if she learned sth from her mistakes last year),videos and news sounds promising and i cant wait to see her new programs, she is my favourite Russian lady :cheer:
I don't think so, because there's already the 10% bonus, that should be enough compensation for the risk.
I'm curious about the combos Julia will do in the long next season. If her lutz edge is consistent she'll definitly go for 3Lz-3T in the short and and in the long. Her 2A-3T-2T combo is great and I think she always did a 3Lz-2T. You could really tell that she wasn't in her best shape when she did 2A-3T, 2A-3T-2T and 3Lz-2T in the long. So I would like it if she would replace the 3Lz-2T. Just to probably boost her PCS. ;) But with what? 3Lz-2L would be my favourite.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Can I have a question? Is the technical difficulty one of the requiriments or bullet point for higher PCS? I think it is not and mainly, it shouldn't be. A skater can have low jumps and medicore spins and yet can have great SS, choreography and interpretation. None of the PCS categories can be asociated with tech elements (only P/E at times, and it is related more to the jump errors than their difficulty).