ISU to tighten rules on minimum TES for 2015-16 | Golden Skate

ISU to tighten rules on minimum TES for 2015-16

GF2445

Record Breaker
"The Council agreed that if it became evident that the number of entries based on the
Minimum Technical Elements Scores listed above would be significantly higher or lower
than expected, the ISU Council reserves the right to subsequently slightly re-adjust the
Minimum Technical Elements Scores in order to achieve the above-mentioned objective."

http://static.isu.org/media/209125/1946-decisions-of-the-isu-council.pdf

The ISU will make sure that they will tweak those minimum TES scores to ensure the 'right' amount of people are entered.

Also, Junior teams can only achieve minimum TES for Junior Championships at Junior Events.

ISU European and ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2016:

SP/SDFS/FD
MEN25.0045.00
LADIES20.0036.00
PAIR SKATING 20.0036.00
ICE DANCE19.0029.00

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2016:

SP/SDFS/FD
MEN34.0064.00
LADIES27.0047.00
PAIR SKATING 25.0043.00
ICE DANCE29.0039.00

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2016:

SP/SDFS/FD
MEN20.0042.00
LADIES20.0035.00
PAIR SKATING 20.0030.00
ICE DANCE18.0028.00

Last edited by a moderator:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thread title: News / ISU tightens rules on minimum TES. Be warned!!

"The Council agreed that if it became evident that the number of entries based on the
Minimum Technical Elements Scores listed above would be significantly higher or lower
than expected, the ISU Council reserves the right to subsequently slightly re-adjust the
Minimum Technical Elements Scores in order to achieve the above-mentioned objective."

The ISU will make sure that they will tweak those minimum TES scores to ensure the 'right' amount of people are entered.

Also, Junior teams can only achieve minimum TES for Junior Championships at Junior Events.

Thx for the reminders re the ISU language, but none of it is new.

All (including the part about juniors) has been in effect in years past. Nothing is being "tightened."
ETA, clarification: I mean (in response to the thread title) that nothing in the rules is being tightened. I was referring to the rules, not to the numbers.​

And thank you for the link to today's ISU document.

For those waiting to hear the minimum TES for 2016 Euros/Four Continents, Worlds, and Junior Worlds, the current thresholds (subject to change ;)) are at GF's link :).

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Thx for the reminders re the ISU language, but none of it is new.

All (including the part about juniors) has been in effect in years past. Nothing is being "tightened."

The last couple of years, they sort have been generous. This year, I think the ISU will really be monitoring the scoring due to the financial pressures of hosting a large competition.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The last couple of years, they sort have been generous. This year, I think the ISU will really be monitoring the scoring due to the financial pressures of hosting a large competition.

Then your prediction, to me, is that the minimum TES numbers are more likely -- this year -- to be tightened.

I was responding to your thread title, and I meant that nothing in the rules is being tightened. The rules allowing adjustment of minimum TES always have been in place.

Anyway, I had edited my post above to note that your document gives the numbers for the 2016 TES minimums. I don't want others to miss them.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I added the values to the first post, for reference sake:

ISU European and ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2016:

SP/SDFS/FD
MEN25.0045.00
LADIES20.0036.00
PAIR SKATING 20.0036.00
ICE DANCE19.0029.00

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2016:

SP/SDFS/FD
MEN34.0064.00
LADIES27.0047.00
PAIR SKATING 25.0043.00
ICE DANCE29.0039.00

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2016:

SP/SDFS/FD
MEN20.0042.00
LADIES20.0035.00
PAIR SKATING 20.0030.00
ICE DANCE18.0028.00

Abraxis12345

Final Flight

Ya think? This year, there were 30 Men's Entries, 36 Ladies, 19 Pairs, and 31 Ice Dance entries.

Compare to 2012: 46 Men's, 51 Ladies, 23 Pairs, and 38 Ice Dance Couples.

At 2012 Worlds also, the number they allowed to advance to the SP/SD was 30 for singles, 20 for Pairs, and 25 for Dance. I'd say they are more or less around where they want to be.

Country
Russia
I added the values to the first post, for reference sake:

(...)
All the values are the same as for season 2014/2015.
http://static.isu.org/media/163495/1876-decision-of-the-council-after-2014-congress.pdf

I believe minimum technical scores for Euro and 4CC should be different - higher to Euro (too many participants), lower to 4CC.
To make at both championships about 30 singles, 25 Dance, 20 Pairs.
And for JrWorlds is better to make minimum technical score some higher.

At 2012 Worlds also, the number they allowed to advance to the SP/SD was 30 for singles, 20 for Pairs, and 25 for Dance. I'd say they are more or less around where they want to be.
Yes, same as at Olympics.
5 full warm-ups in SP, 4 in FS.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Ya think? This year, there were 30 Men's Entries, 36 Ladies, 19 Pairs, and 31 Ice Dance entries.

Compare to 2012: 46 Men's, 51 Ladies, 23 Pairs, and 38 Ice Dance Couples.

I think the opposite. They emphasised that they needed to restrict the numbers of entries, despite already decreasing the number of entries. I think they want smaller.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
(emphasis added)
Minimum Technical Elements Scores in order to achieve the above-mentioned objective." ...

I think the opposite. They emphasised that they needed to restrict the numbers of entries, despite already decreasing the number of entries. I think they want smaller.

No, as your OP indicates, the ISU language has emphasized that if the number of entries otherwise would be too high or too low, it reserves the right to adjust the minimum TES.

IIRC, in at least one previous year, the ISU lowered at least one of the original minimum TES in at least one discipline well after the season had started -- in order to increase the number of entries.

So the adjustment can go in either direction.

(Off the top of my head, I don't recall a case to date of a TES minimum being raised [restricting the number of entries] during the course of the season. But the ISU obviously has reserved the right to take such action -- as well as the opposite action.)

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Sorry. It seems that alot of people dont really agree with my interpretation of this ruling. Thiugh this has beem a rule that has beem in place for a couple of seasons, its interesting that they discussed it here and wrote a very long summary of their ruling on this.
X
(emphasis added)

No, as your OP indicates, the ISU language has emphasized that if the number of entries otherwise would be too high or too low, it reserves the right to adjust the minimum TES.

IIRC, in at least one previous year, the ISU lowered at least one of the original minimum TES in at least one discipline well after the season had started -- in order to increase the number of entries.

So the adjustment can go in either direction.

(I don't recall a case to date of a TES minimum being raised [restricting the number of entries] during the course of the season. But the ISU obviously has reserved the right to take such action -- as well as the opposite action.)

The first paragraph
Taking into account the expected number of entries into the Short Program/Short Dance at the ISU Figure Skating Championships for the season 2015/16 and the related time schedule, the reasonable maximum officiating time for the Officials, limits in the number of participants and related workload an Organizing Committee can be expected to handle physically and financially as well as implications with commercial partners, the Council concluded that the Minimum Technical Elements Scores as per the 2014 Special Regulations, Rule 378, paragraph 3 must be determined for all ISU Figure Skating Championships in order to limit the number of entries to the appropriate level.

I interpret this as currently, too many people have attaines qualifying scores for this years championships. I believe, from the opening paragraph, they wish to likit entries this year.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Except the opening paragraph is exactly the same as it was last year and the number of entries more or less stayed the same between 2014 and 2015 Worlds.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Except the opening paragraph is exactly the same as it was last year and the number of entries more or less stayed the same between 2014 and 2015 Worlds.

Thx, Abraxis.
I looked up last year's GS thread re the 2014 ISU document, and I see what you mean -- that this year's opening paragraph also is a repeat:

11. ISU Figure Skating Championships – Minimum Total Technical Scores season 2014/15
Taking into account the expected number of entries into the Short Program/Short Dance at the ISU Figure Skating Championships for the season 2014/15 and the related time schedule, the reasonable maximum officiating time for the Officials, limits in the number of participants and related workload an Organizing Committee can be expected to handle physically and financially as well as implications with commercial partners, the Council concluded that the Minimum Total Technical Scores as per the 2014 Special Regulations, Rule 378, paragraph 3 must be adjusted for all ISU Figure Skating Championships in order to reduce the number of entries to the appropriate level.

ISU European and ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2015:

- MEN 25.00; 45.00 (SP; FS)
- LADIES 20.00; 36.00
- PAIR SKATING 20.00; 36.00
- ICE DANCE 19.00; 29.00 (SD; FD)

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2015:

- MEN 34.00; 64.00
- LADIES 27.00; 47.00
- PAIR SKATING 25.00; 43.00
- ICE DANCE 29.00; 39.00

ETA, ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2015 (sorry, I thought I had included these earlier):

- MEN 20.00; 42.00
- LADIES 20.00; 35.00
- PAIR SKATING 20.00; 30.00
- ICE DANCE 18.00; 28.00

The required minimum Total Technical Score for the Short Program/Short Dance and the Free Skating/Free Dance segment to participate in the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships can only be obtained in registered International Junior Competitions/Championships.

... The Council agreed that if it became evident that the number of entries based on the Minimum Total Technical Scores listed above would be significantly higher or lower than expected, the ISU Council reserves the right to subsequently slightly re-adjust the Minimum Total Technical Scores in order to achieve the above-mentioned objective.

Source: ISU Communication No. 1876, "Decisions of the ISU Council:"

http://static.isu.org/media/153457/1876-decision-of-the-council-after-2014-congress.pdf (Jun 25)

Thanks to GF2445 for flagging the new communication in the Challenger Series thread.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Fine. My mistake
I concede but the thread has just been now about how I was wrong. Can we change subject or leave it golden411??

ice coverage

Record Breaker
GF, obviously you do not need my permission (and never did) to take the thread in any direction that you like :).