NO Live Stream for Broadmoor Open or Freezer Aerial Challenge | Golden Skate

NO Live Stream for Broadmoor Open or Freezer Aerial Challenge

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So now I'm told there will be no live stream of the Freezer Aerial Challenge and presumably Broadmoor Open.

Instead we get: live blogging on Ice Network - because of course reading about someone landing a jump is so exciting - and a video recap on ice network - because of course we love to wait around to see the jumps or bits of programs they choose to show us.

Really dumb, whoever is in charge. You launch a new event that's supposed to bring in a new audience - and then you don't even make it accessible to the existing audience.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
No worries, I'm sure I'll find some footage somewhere and post it up on YouTube so Universal Sports can monetise it. :sarcasm:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
@sabinfire we will eagerly await it!

In the meantime, I imagine we will have to be content with the live blogging, for example:

Max Aaron just landed a beautiful quad sal! Max's Black Swan FS is looking good!
Jason Brown attempted a quad sal but two footed the landing. But his quad toe was fully rotated and he had great flow on the landing!
Mariah Bell's new free skate is just gorgeous - great final spin!

Scintillating.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Jason Brown attempted a quad sal but two footed the landing. But his quad toe was fully rotated and he had great flow on the landing!

LOL. If that were to happen, I think some people would be jumping for joy or having panic attacks from a live blog alone.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Im having a serious case of the sads myself because this year our state high school hockey championship was able to be broadcast on local television and a live feed was made easily available for out of towners who were interested. In my opinion this is something the USFSA should be getting behind.

Cues up some Weezer:
https://youtu.be/ENXvZ9YRjbo

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
LOL. If that were to happen, I think some people would be jumping for joy or having panic attacks from a live blog alone.

Or they would say, no way, that dude will never rotate a quad, it's got to be under rotated.

Or something.

Im having a serious case of the sads myself because this year our state high school hockey championship was able to be broadcast on local television and a live feed was made easily available for out of towners who were interested. In my opinion this is something the USFSA should be getting behind.

Cues up some Weezer:
https://youtu.be/ENXvZ9YRjbo

Yeah I agree - this is such a priceless example of why the sport is slowly disappearing. I mean, why hire a PR person to tweet and FB and set up a live auction at the after party (yes!) and then fail on something so basic. I mean it's not like the technology doesn't exist.

They're probably like Congress and just couldn't agree on a contract.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Or they would say, no way, that dude will never rotate a quad, it's got to be under rotated.

then we hear the cries of "home advantage"

yeah, in someways the worst thing that could happen for Jason is for a quad to be "reported" landed. The snark that could happen.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So, curiouser and curiouser. I asked the Aerial Challenge PR person if this meant no live streaming for the rest of the Broadmoor Open. She said they are separate sanctions and didn't know about their live streaming. So maybe I jumped the gun on that piece.

Although if there was a live stream you'd think we'd know by now.

How do we find out ? Call the Broadmoor Skating Club? :confused:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would assume that since Wheat Designs is not streaming the Broadmoor Open, no-one is.

Utterly nonsensical, and if I was Tom Z and co I would be FURIOUS. The best new event to hit figure skating, particularly in America, in years, and no-one's going to see it. What kind of moron made that decision? How do they expect to get not only the sponsors but the big-name skaters back for a second year if the only people who are going to be able to watch live are the ones in the arena?

EDIT:

I just scrolled through the Challenge's twitter account. They have deleted all of the tweets hyping up the coverage! I am sure I wasn't imagining things, they did tweet things like "Stay tuned for exciting news about live streaming!", right?

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. I just mean wow. Some yahoo with an iPhone can live stream from his backyard, and they can't figure out how to televise the new jump challenge? As in, just do it for free already, because I'm not flying in from Pennsylvania for it and you're not losing a ticket sale.:mad:

SMH....

Lenny318

On the Ice
I just scrolled through the Challenge's twitter account. They have deleted all of the tweets hyping up the coverage! I am sure I wasn't imagining things, they did tweet things like "Stay tuned for exciting news about live streaming!", right?

I saw that too and it was the only reason I "liked" the Freezer Aerial Figure Skating Challenge facebook page.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
then we hear the cries of "home advantage"

yeah, in someways the worst thing that could happen for Jason is for a quad to be "reported" landed. The snark that could happen.

LOL, if Jason lands a quad (as I hope), I trust that it would merit inclusion in the video recap :yes:.

So, curiouser and curiouser. I asked the Aerial Challenge PR person if this meant no live streaming for the rest of the Broadmoor Open. She said they are separate sanctions and didn't know about their live streaming. So maybe I jumped the gun on that piece.

Although if there was a live stream you'd think we'd know by now.

How do we find out ? Call the Broadmoor Skating Club? :confused:

The Broadmoor Open webpage has two other e-mail addresses, if you want to give them a try.

I would assume that since Wheat Designs is not streaming the Broadmoor Open, no-one is.

Utterly nonsensical, and if I was Tom Z and co I would be FURIOUS. The best new event to hit figure skating, particularly in America, in years, and no-one's going to see it. What kind of moron made that decision? How do they expect to get not only the sponsors but the big-name skaters back for a second year if the only people who are going to be able to watch live are the ones in the arena? ....

I would venture to guess that the big-name skaters would return for a second year as long as the sponsors offer big prize money again.

And I think TZ has strong relationships with all the sponsors. Whether lack of video streaming will doom repeat sponsorships or not is an open question, IMO.
I am 99% sure that TZ coaches the young daughter of the Freezers, whose name is on the Aerial Challenge (presumably b/c they are contributing the most $) and who are hosting the post-event party and auction. Someone at Red Robin likes TZ well enough that s/he asked him to give a motivational speech to its employees. Etc., etc. (BTW, Michael Weiss is not only a judge, but also a sponsor, IIRC.)

That said, I agree that the lack of streaming prob. is driving TZ nuts.

... I just scrolled through the Challenge's twitter account. They have deleted all of the tweets hyping up the coverage! I am sure I wasn't imagining things, they did tweet things like "Stay tuned for exciting news about live streaming!", right?

And as you know, the reason for the new Facebook page had something to do with live streaming.

Clearly live streaming was expected to work out. And it's a shame that it did not.

(If I were the PR person, I too would have deleted the tweets. Damage control is part of PR.)

Wow. I just mean wow. Some yahoo with an iPhone can live stream from his backyard, and they can't figure out how to televise the new jump challenge? As in, just do it for free already, because I'm not flying in from Pennsylvania for it and you're not losing a ticket sale.:mad:

SMH....

I know that you're (understandably) letting off steam ... but whatever reason is preventing streaming of the Aerial Challenge, it's not concern over ticket sales. Admission to the Aerial Challenge is free. Beats me as to what the real reason is.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder if there's any chance of their minds being changed.

I mean surely, SURELY there must be a way to stream it. If there's going to be a recap video, there's going to be cameras. USFS has a Youtube channel and they've live-streamed stuff before, like the What's Up World Team, and even a practice session. I'd have thought they'd have been keen to promote it.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
My guess is that there are legal / contractual issues preventing them from streaming this event & maybe both, but that's pure speculation on my part. I will try to contact someone at BSC when I have time.

:disapp:

ETA Maybe someone with an iPhone.....

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wonder if there's any chance of their minds being changed.

I mean surely, SURELY there must be a way to stream it. If there's going to be a recap video, there's going to be cameras. USFS has a Youtube channel and they've live-streamed stuff before, like the What's Up World Team, and even a practice session. I'd have thought they'd have been keen to promote it.

My guess is that there are legal / contractual issues preventing them from streaming this event & maybe both, but that's pure speculation on my part. I will try to contact someone at BSC when I have time.

:disapp:

ETA Maybe someone with an iPhone.....

Agree with papagena that the roadblock probably is not lack of know-how or tech capability re streaming.

Seems that at least for the Freezer Challenge, some emphasis is being placed on local promotion, such as: Jason's TV appearance, however brief; Red Robin's meet and greet with Michael/Kimmie/Max; social media re the post-event party/auction.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know that you're (understandably) letting off steam ... but whatever reason is preventing streaming of the Aerial Challenge, it's not concern over ticket sales. Admission to the Aerial Challenge is free. Beats me as to what the real reason is.

Oops, so true! But I'm still not flying to Colorado;)