NO Live Stream for Broadmoor Open or Freezer Aerial Challenge | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NO Live Stream for Broadmoor Open or Freezer Aerial Challenge

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
When it is USFSA, the primary reason is always incompetence or stupidity.

What form might this incompetence take? Your guess is as good as mine, so here's my best guess:

They put the event at Broadmoor because it is close to USFSA central. They neglected to investigate what sort of contract Wheat had with the Broadmoor Club for the Open. Considering Wheat touted a discount for returning customers, I would not be suprised to hear that Wheat had cut a multiyear deal for the non-Freezer part of the Open. USFSA clearly thinks Freezer is a separate event, so Wheat is not entitled to air it, and they can put it on IN.

But I am betting Wheat's contract is written to include all events that are part of any Broadmoor Open, even if they are new in a following year?

Impasse. No one can air Freezer.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The truly sad part, Doris, is that that sounds like a perfectly logical and likely breakdown of the events.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The worst of this is they could have kept the event close to the Springs and circumvented any Wheat contract for Broadmoor Open by putting the event at 7K in Centennial, about an hour or so away

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I can feel the frustration...and this is very regrettable. I like the idea of an Epic Jump-off and would like to see the whole thing; even if it is delayed. :shrug:

Fingers crossed some kind soul with a steady hand and a smart phone will have some clips for us.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The Broadmoor Figure Skating Club, which is the sponsor of the above first of its kind competition, received the sanction from U.S. Figure Skating to hold the event under their auspices. So any permission to live stream the event had to come from U.S. Figure Skating.

After U.S. Figure Skating's recent decision not to have IceNetwork webcast it, officials at Broadmoor FSC offered to contract out of their own pockets to have it webcast, U.S. Figure Skating has refused to allow it. As this was explained to me, the sanction does not allow this event to be live streamed independently. Broadmoor SC could have asked for a Sanction (Contract) with USFSA that allowed for independent Live Streaming but were not made aware of this fact before they signed the agreement.

What I don't understand is why USFSA would provide a sanction to back this new type of competition without webcasting it to the skating community? Whoever/whomever at U.S. Figure Skating decided to kill a webcast is not fully supportive of the sports growth. Why did USFSA create IceNetwork? To promote and support our sport!

I urge all who read this to contact U.S. Figure Skating on their facebook site, via twitter, email [email protected], and ask for their reasoning behind denying efforts to Live Stream this event via IceNetwork or independently..

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thankyou, visaliakid. So doris was right, and our suspicions confirmed, that this is a case of gross incompetence (or sheer idiocy/arrogance) on the part of USFS. Sigh.

I will certainly be writing to that address in the morning when I wake up to ask the questions of them, but I do not expect to get anything but a form email back.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Broadmoor Figure Skating Club, which is the sponsor of the above first of its kind competition, received the sanction from U.S. Figure Skating to hold the event under their auspices. So any permission to live stream the event had to come from U.S. Figure Skating.

After U.S. Figure Skating's recent decision not to have IceNetwork webcast it, officials at Broadmoor FSC offered to contract out of their own pockets to have it webcast, U.S. Figure Skating has refused to allow it. ....

Many thx for the explanation, visaliakid.

Does it refer only to the Freezer Challenge?
Or are you saying that we have reached the point of absolutely final certainty that no one at all will stream the rest of the Broadmoor Open this year either? (I am aware that Wheat Designs already said that it will not.)

Also ... do you happen to know whether the IN live blog and video recap will cover only the Freezer Challenge?
Or will IN coverage include the rest of the Broadmoor Open as well?

The worst of this is they could have kept the event close to the Springs and circumvented any Wheat contract for Broadmoor Open by putting the event at 7K in Centennial, about an hour or so away

Given that the Freezer Challenge is the brainchild of Tom Z and that the Freezer daughter is a TZ student, the close ties of the Freezer Challenge to the Broadmoor Open were inevitable and indeed highly intentional, IMO. The Freezer Challenge obviously is an outgrowth of the Broadmoor Open's jump comp in years past. Some entries in the Freezer Challenge will qualify for it on the basis of their results at this year's Broadmoor Open.

Last edited:

centerpt1

On the Ice
Keeping Figure Skating and events like Freezer off social media, off the internet, and off TV's will kill the sport. How can you attract new fans and keep old ones if it is not shown somewhere?

Very stupid decision by USFS.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

7K is in Monument,

We have a Centennial, Colorado with two ice rinks (which is surprising as it is a smaller one of the suburbs) but this Centennial is in the Denver metro area not the Monument and Colorado Springs area.

But I do like your thinking. I think they may have even gotten more people to show up. Monument is close enough to Colorado Springs, I don't know that they would lose many people, and they likely would have been able to pick up a few from the larger Denver area as it is easier.

I keep going back and forth over how much trouble I want to go to now. I fear the event is going to be filled with an air of disappointment and frustration and just not that fun. Which is really sad.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sometimes you don't want to be even close to right

:bang::bang::bang:

What arrogant idiots!

What on earth are they thinking??

Remember this the next time someone tries to sell you that USFSA had a conspiracy to do anything...Uncle Dick was right. The USFSA is too incompetent to cheat successfully.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
7K is in Monument,

We have a Centennial, Colorado with two ice rinks (which is surprising as it is a smaller one of the suburbs) but this Centennial is in the Denver metro area not the Monument and Colorado Springs area.

But I do like your thinking. I think they may have even gotten more people to show up. Monument is close enough to Colorado Springs, I don't know that they would lose many people, and they likely would have been able to pick up a few from the larger Denver area as it is easier.

I keep going back and forth over how much trouble I want to go to now. I fear the event is going to be filled with an air of disappointment and frustration and just not that fun. Which is really sad.

But you might have the opportunity to see Jason attempt multiple quads, to say nothing of the fact that you will likely see both of his new programs, including the the free skate we haven't heard a peep about yet, the progress in Max's new programs, etc. etc. Go! Go! :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
But you might have the opportunity to see Jason attempt multiple quads, to say nothing of the fact that you will likely see both of his new programs, including the the free skate we haven't heard a peep about yet, the progress in Max's new programs, etc. etc. Go! Go! :)

I *think* the mens LP is at about 1:00 on Saturday. Do we have 100% confirmation the Broadmore Open is even open to the public for that matter, or is it just the jump thing? If the Open is, well open, it might be easier/better to just drive down for that.

I might try to kill my better half and get a hotel and do both. . . doing research tomorrow. Still, it would be so much more if i could scream out "Nice Engine" in the hopes of you'll hearing me on the live stream. But in all seriousness, I do worry the event will feel a bit of a let down. It sucks when people's hard work gets messed up but stupid stuff.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As my forebears would say to the USFA, Holy Mother of God, (the Irish American equivalent of "tabernacle";) are you completely looney?

If it were up to USFA, this sport will soon be 50 dedicated fans talking to each other on the Internet. And synchro moms.

I swear, Jason is going to land a fully rotated quad lutz, and no one will believe it.:shrug:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Hmmm ... b/c of Stitch's ambivalence based on practical matters, I will add my two cents that I don't consider it "likely" that Max will compete in anything other than the Freezer Challenge part of the Broadmoor Open. Maybe he will, but I wouldn't say it is likely.
For at least the past two summers, he has chosen other local comps for his programs.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Hmmm ... b/c of Stitch's ambivalence based on practical matters, I will add my two cents that I don't consider it "likely" that Max will compete in anything other than the Freezer Challenge part of the Broadmoor Open. Maybe he will, but I wouldn't say it is likely.
For at least the past two summers, he has chosen other local comps for his programs.

I did at least get to see Max a little while ago so I can live with that, especially since we have seen his programs. But you do bring up a good point. I want a better idea of who will be in the FS before I make a decision. If it is a great group of guys, and open to the public, (Dornbush for instance would be very tempting as I am a big fan and he is not local) even without Max that might be the way to go. Also even if we get a hotel Friday night, my better half may want to be home sooner than after a 1:00 pm event, so I kinda what to know who is at what, and what I can see so I can try to figure out what is worth it.

I may end up having to spend the morning of the event in some coffee house with free wi fi for logistical reasons, with luck i can get company on here. The timing is just really bad for us unfortunately.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
That makes no sense whatsoever. You have an opportunity to expand coverage, even if in a small way, of your sport and you don't? Why?!!!