2016 Youth Olympic Games, 12-21 Feb | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Youth Olympic Games, 12-21 Feb

The Finn

Record Breaker
Based on recent article it looks like Deniss Vasiļjevs will be at the Youth Olympic. If so then there will be three big names - Aliev (most likely), Yamamoto and Vasiļjevs. Should be pretty interesting competition.

In ladies the bigger names would be: Tsurskaya (most likely), Sotskova (most likely), Shiraiwa and Sakamoto. Also Da Bin Choi might be there. Seems like a very interesting competition to me.

In pairs the bigger names would be: Borisova/Sopot (most likely), Duskova/Bidar (most likely) and Ustimkina/Volodin (most likely). Brasseur/Ostiguy will be there also.

The Finn

Record Breaker
In ladies the bigger names would be: Tsurskaya (most likely), Sotskova (most likely), Shiraiwa and Sakamoto. Also Da Bin Choi might be there. Seems like a very interesting competition to me.

I totally forgot Tursynbaeva. Surely she will be there also. Should be very interesting competition indeed.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I totally forgot Tursynbaeva. Surely she will be there also. Should be very interesting competition indeed.
Yes, she will! She said she wants to compete at Youth Olympics and Junior Worlds as well as Senior Worlds, i cant wait! but she wont be at 4CC bc ita too close to Youth Olympics

Layback11

Record Breaker
Based on recent article it looks like Deniss Vasiļjevs will be at the Youth Olympic. If so then there will be three big names - Aliev (most likely), Yamamoto and Vasiļjevs. Should be pretty interesting competition.

In pairs the bigger names would be: Borisova/Sopot (most likely), Duskova/Bidar (most likely) and Ustimkina/Volodin (most likely). Brasseur/Ostiguy will be there also.

No Vivian? Why? Also, bummer that Marin is out. Based on the JGP I would've chosen her above Sakamoto for sure. Also, what about dance?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No Vivian? Why? ...

Vivian did not compete in the qualifying comp for YOG.

US entries had to enter specific comps to qualify for YOG. In the case of men and ladies, the qualifiers were held at Golden West.

See the US-specific YOG thread for more background.

mawamasha

Rinkside
I don't know if this is off topic, but I'd like to ask how prestigeous the YOG are/are considered. It seems to me that some countries send their very best (Russia), some others not necessarily (Japan) and some don't really bother to send top athletes. Why is it so? I tend to consider this kind of event very prestigeous, especially because those medals are in the official palmares!

Hailey Shin

Medalist
It seems like Ji hyun Byun and Jun hwan Cha from Korea team are going to participate this event.
So hyun An was 4th at qualifying event this month, so she's behind Ji hyun Byun (3rd place) and be alternative member.
Da bin Choi (1st place) will go 4CC instead of this event, cuz she want to appeal her as senior.

And since Yeri Kim/Alex Kam has splited, KSU is now considering new brother and sister pair team Su yeon Kim/Hyung tae Kim to send this event, or not.
They just started pair skating few months ago, and not skillful, so it is unclear to be sent or not.

andyjo24

Medalist
It seems like Ji hyun Byun and Jun hwan Cha from Korea team are going to participate this event.
So hyun An was 4th at qualifying event this month, so she's behind Ji hyun Byun (3rd place) and be alternative member.
Da bin Choi (1st place) will go 4CC instead of this event, cuz she want to appeal her as senior.

And since Yeri Kim/Alex Kam has splited, KSU is now considering new brother and sister pair team Su yeon Kim/Hyung tae Kim to send this event, or not.
They just started pair skating few months ago, and not skillful, so it is unclear to be sent or not.

I thought Ji Hyun is going to 4CC. Doesn't that mean So Hyun will go to the YOG?

Hailey Shin

Medalist
I thought Ji Hyun is going to 4CC. Doesn't that mean So Hyun will go to the YOG?

In that case, of course it will be ;)
But obviously Ji hyun has prior claim to choose which to go,
and there was a rumor that she prefer YOG rather than 4CC.
I think we may wait for official announce to make sure of it.

If Ji hyun choose to go YOG, So hyun should challenge for Jr world at nationals (rather than waits for YOG).. And third spot of 4CC seems to go to Na hyun Kim, along with Da bin and So youn.

Last edited:

purpledream

On the Ice
No Vivian? Why? Also, bummer that Marin is out. Based on the JGP I would've chosen her above Sakamoto for sure. Also, what about dance?

Adding to the sadness that Marin wasnt chosen, is the final selection from Japan? She afterall did better than Sakamoto at senior championships :l

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Adding to the sadness that Marin wasnt chosen, is the final selection from Japan? She afterall did better than Sakamoto at senior championships :l

Marin is going to Junior Worlds so sending Kaori here seems fair, she did better than her Junior Nats and didnt have bad season

purpledream

On the Ice
Marin is going to Junior Worlds so sending Kaori here seems fair, she did better than her Junior Nats and didnt have bad season

interesting, Marin did do better than Kaori at Senior nationals, and I thought they would send the top 3 juniors to junior worlds after evaluating junior and senior ntls. (of which marin isnt part of; and amongst the top junior competitiors, not many juniors are eligible for YOG among those ranked between Wakaba and Marin)

Although I thought a good call on JPN federation to put Marin in one of the competitions given her good international scores.

However, I would think Marin would have a better chance of medalling at YOG than Jnr Worlds though... given that the competition would be among her fellow JPF competitors.

I wondered if they had a chance to choose? After all you only get to be in YOG probably once. Wakaba probably wants to break through senior next year, so she might have chosen to focus on jnr worlds and make an impact there.

Last edited:

Ployliesk8

Rinkside
Isn't Cha Jun Hwan a year too young too compete in the YOG? I think the age requirment is 15 but he's not fifteen yet...