2016 Youth Olympic Games, 12-21 Feb | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 Youth Olympic Games, 12-21 Feb

The Finn

Record Breaker
Team Korea (according to Wikipedia)
Cha Jun-hwan
Byun Ji-hyun
Kim Su-yeon / Kim Hyung-tae

Still no info about team Russia. The last entry day is next monday.

kalee

On the Ice
Is Alisa Fedichkina age eligible? Seems that she would be a great candidate if she is. I'd also love to see Sima getting an opportunity here as Polina and Masha are almost certain to go to Junior Worlds anyway

The Finn

Record Breaker
Team Lithuania
Guostė Damulevičiūtė and Deividas Kizala (Ice dance)

Originally Lithuania didn't have a spot but they were the 2nd Stand-by country. Obviously atleast two countries have opted not to send an ice dance team to the competiton.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

emzdeluxe

On the Ice

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

"Age Requirements:

Pairs/Ice Dance: To be eligible to participate in the Lillehammer 2016 Winter Youth Olympic Games, all male athletes must be born between 01 January 1997 and 31 December 2000 and all female athletes must be born between 01 January 1999 and 31 December 2001."

So, that means Anna Dušková & Martin Bidař are eligible!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2:

I REALLY hope they get sent.

I know it'll hardly make up for not getting the opportunity to go to Europeans, but at least it would allow them to get another major championship under their belt before Junior Worlds.

CaroLiza_fan

Late2Sk8

Spectator
Did I miss in this thread somewhere, why did the Jr. Ladies and Jr. Men need to compete at Goldenwest to qualify for the Y.O. Do they always select from a certain/different competition? This sure did limit who USA is sending (not everyone can travel to California$$$). Don't we always want to send our best? It seems to be kind of embarrassing.

Sabine

On the Ice
Can anyone find the Russian team? It had to be named til january 18, but I can't find any names.

Sabine

On the Ice
They must have sent names already, cause deadline was january 18 at least 19. All the national oc's have announced their teams for all competitions. Russia must have too, but I cant find it anywhere. As far as I know, there is no chance for a late entry...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Did I miss in this thread somewhere, why did the Jr. Ladies and Jr. Men need to compete at Goldenwest to qualify for the Y.O. ...

FYI, GS has another thread devoted to the YOG qualification procedure for U.S. skaters. (IIRC, discussion over there came to a natural conclusion after the U.S. entries became known.)

The U.S. hopefuls among men and ladies had to qualify at Golden West, because USFS designated Golden West as the qualifying comp for them.

As to why USFS designated Golden West -- as opposed to another comp -- as the umbrella event for qualifying, I do not know the answer.
What I do know is that hopefuls had to compete in specific YOG-qualifying segments within Golden West. It was not a matter of just competing in the same junior segments at Golden West that are held every year. The skaters had to be actively interested in qualifying for YOG.

Last edited:

kalee

On the Ice
Wonder why the US chose to pursue a completely different logic from the other countries in YOG selection - with Japanese and Russians sending their best and near-best, in any case JGPF calibre skaters, the US should send a seasoned JGP competitor (namely Karen Chen). Sigh.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Polina recently told that she wants two gold from Lillehammer. So, I decided to check out how Team trophy works at Youth Olympics.

It is explained in here.
http://static.isu.org/media/177891/2014-22-08-wyog-2016-qs-isu-figure_skating-en.pdf

It seems that there are 40% chance that she can't even skate at the Team trophy. And there is even a chance that neither Polina nor Masha would skate at the Team Trophy. Stupid rules if you ask me. There should be a rule that medalist would be placed to their teams automatically. The rest of the each team could be determined by draw.

By the way, the link seem to indicate that all skaters would be obligated to particate to the draw which will determine the 8 teams. I didn't know that. One could also note that this time pairs are included in Team trophy. They weren't in 2012 because there weren't enough pairs. One could also take note that in theory one of the team could be like this:

Tsurskaya
Aliev
Borisova/Sopot
Spilevaya/Smirnov

There is no rule which would prevent that happening but in practice this is very much impossible, of course.

Last edited: