Music you bought because skaters you like skate to it | Golden Skate

Music you bought because skaters you like skate to it

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are at least 7-8 songs I have bought on itunes due to skaters I like skating to it and me ending up liking the songs.

Have any of you bought songs that you wouldn't have otherwise due to skaters?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have the haunting violin that broke my heart in Sochi as my alarm tone...

I have purchased three of Edvin Marton's albums as a direct result of Plushy. I don't think I have any others that are directly attributable to a specific skater, but I have purchased soundtrack music with the possibility of it being skated to in mind.

andromache

Record Breaker
I haven't because I'm usually pretty poor so if I want to hear a specific song, I'll seek it out on YouTube or Spotify to stream. As far as skating music goes, I really enjoy listening to some warhorses while I read/study. I do this with Meditation from Thais a lot.

Violetti

On the Ice
After Torvill & Dean's Bolero, my brother or sister bought Bolero music. I (the little sister) listened to it, too.
I loved Carolina Kostner's 2007-2009 LP music, Dvorak: "Dumky" Trio and I once borrowed it from my local library.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I rarely 'buy' music anymore, unless I'm at a concert merch table or a small website where I know I can hand money over directly to the band/artist.

But I have streamed countless songs from figure skating via Spotify Premium and YouTube, if that counts for anything.

Layback11

Record Breaker
There's an album of skating music from those Sochi Olympics on iTunes that I have. I individually bought Primavera, Rach 2 and Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Lots of classical, especially the entirety of Carmen when I was about 14 and asked my parents for it.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Does playing piano music count? I even buy the sheet music when I don't have to (most of it is in the public domain).
I dislike Patrick Chan's skating, no idea why, but I fell completely in love with Rachmaninoff's Elegie when he skated to it in the Olympic season.
Ditto with Papadakis/Cizeron and Mozart's Adagio from Concerto No. 23.
Still playing those two pieces now. They're gorgeous.
And there have been others, but I cannot recall which ones right now. I think a Chopin piece.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well since I have some bit of time before I get back to work, I'll list the songs that I've bought as a result of skaters skating to it.

1. Together, We Build
2. Echoes of Passion
3. Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah
(1-3 were the songs in Kevin Reynolds' 2013-2014 Excelsius FP. I found out the songs somewhat from one of my friends. And plus also listening to them on iTunes).
4. Reel Around the Sun
5. Back in Black
6. Thunderstruck
7. Chambermaid Swing
8. Give Me Love

I'm pretty sure it'll grow with next season. However I must say, that #8 is probably the only song I would have bought if I didn't see someone skate to it. And that's reflecting on songs that I normally like to listen to/used to hearing.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I listen to about 95% of my music on Youtube nowadays...I have an Ipod, but it's collecting dust. I became a fan of DJ Okawari because of Daisuke Takahashi's "Luv Letter" exhibition, and listen to his albums quite a bit. Because of Brian Joubert, I became a fan of "Le Patineur" by Julien Clerc and "Infinity" by Guru Josh (I already liked a lot of the music he uses, and the other French skaters too). And thanks to Plushy & other Russian skaters, I discovered many great Russian artists such as Alla Pugacheva, Elena Vaenga, & several others. (Not such a fan of Dima Bilan, though...sorry Plushy)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I've done this 3 times in my long love for skating. I bought "Otonal" Thank you Maria B. I bought "Secret Garden" Thank you Carolina K. and I bought the soundtrack from "O" Thank you Akiko S.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Yume ni Egaku Kiseki by Pandalion. I surprisingly found and purchased this song on itunes after watching the cheer video created by the band and others from Sendai to support Yuzuru at his first Olympic competition.
Although he doesn't actually skate to this song, I probably would not have been made aware of it or the group if it weren't for my interest in Yuzu. (...and I've been a fan of j-pop for over 15 years~)

Last edited:

Imagine

Medalist
I actually went and bought Smile by Nat King Cole after seeing Alena Leonova's program...turns out, I like that song more than her program lol

noskates

Record Breaker
This goes back MANY years. One of Kurt Browning's exhibition songs was to a Lyle Lovett song. Can't remember the name of the song but the catch phrase was "Make it a cheeseburger" or something like that. Since then I've seen Lyle in concert a couple dozen times and have all of his CDs. I also bought the Legends of Fall soundtrack that Rosalyn Sumner skated to the year she was in the Olys. It was part of a mix but was so beautiful and so powerful.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I purchased a Gypsy Kings album when I heard Pasha Grishuk was skating to it. That's the only album I can think of. I own lots of musical soundtracks, but I think I would have purchased them all whether or not skaters used them. I have spent quite a bit of ticket money on operas that I'm sure I only attended because of figure skating programs--Carmen, Tosca, Rigoletto, and The Barber of Seville. I've never bought the albums, though because I don't enjoy the music much. I just want to know the stories. Then when I get to the opera, I'm always disappointed because they just sing the same lines over and over . . . with very little action.

I like more story line, I guess.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I forgot one. I bought "Dream a little a Dream and Cheek to Cheek" after watching those dancers from Canada.;)