Music you bought because skaters you like skate to it | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Music you bought because skaters you like skate to it

edenlover

On the Ice
I remembered another song I purchased because of Michelle Kwan -- Dante's Prayer (Loreena McKennitt)

I became an Eva Cassidy Fan because of Michelle's Fields of Gold program. Michelle's influence is everywhere it seems. Her music choices were generally innovative and appropriate. Look what she did with Disney, the Beatles, and so many other genres--it's incredible. Miss her sooooooo much.

gmyers

Record Breaker
safri duo -rise because of joubert
Michael Nyman - Composer - Memorial (The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover) (1989) - because of Grishuk and platov

Last edited:

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
What a terrific idea for a thread, cheerknithanson.

Truly, I am listening right now to "People are still having sex" by LaTour only because a handful of weeks back, dorispulaski reminded us that Tonya skated this for her SP in the 1991-2 season. (I had forgotten; what nonsense on my part -- the first 3A in a ladies' SP, I l believe.)

I have bought a lot of music due to hearing it in figure skating programs first. Coming to mind right now is Valse Triste. Thank you, Alissa Czisny.

edenlover

On the Ice
LOL! Yes!

I'm listening to The Great Whales: Introduction and Theme (Holdridge) right now. I've always thought it would make great skating music.

I do that with Lyra, too. I play it in the background while I'm at work. It's so calming.

I've been unable to obtain Ikuko Kawai's version of Concierto de Aranjuez that Michelle used. Probably time to try and locate it again. LOL.

Ikuko's Website has her discography. The only problem is the titles are written in japanese. Now, if we knew someone who could read Japanese, then we could find the name of the CD. AMazon has three of her cds, but they have no song titles. They are expensive because they are imports--like Lee Holdridge's EOE cd. So, the trick is to find an interpreter. One of the CDs is title
VIOLIN ON ICE.

BTW--I also love the Great Whales, but I think the LOVE THEME FROM SMASH is one of the most beautiful and calming pieces of music EVER. It should be skated to...

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just ordered "Fragile Dream" by Joe Hisaishi after watching Mirai's 2010 SP. Such a beautiful piece of music and I'd love to see someone young take it on and give it a whole new feel. Miriah Bell perhaps.

mnm464

On the Ice
I don't buy music, but listen on spotify. I really listen to Io Ce Saro from Pang and Tong, Parisienne Walkways from Yuzuru Hanyu SP, and Scherazade from Meryl and Charlie's FD. as well as others, I'm always listening to music:)

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
What a fun thread!! A lot of my classical collection is the result of skating programs. The first ones I got were Rimsky-Korsavkov's Capriccio Espangole & Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez (on vinyl!!!) because of Caryn Kadavy's program in 1987 (I got the CDs later). Later on I got Malaguena (performed by Stanley Black & his Orchestra), which Kristi Yamaguchi used for her 1992 program (and also the third section of Kadavy's 87 program). Others include the first Bond CD which was used in 2002 by Shen/Zhao & Alexei Yagudin, Rach's Piano Concerto #2 (Chen Lu's 1996 LP), and Rach's Elegie which Michelle used in her 98 SP (I already had Piano Concerto #3). I will even seek specific versions that skaters used. There are many versions of Libertango, but I needed to find the version Christina Gao used in 2012 and 2013 (I found it on this CD: http://www.amazon.com/Misa-Tango-L-...TF8&qid=1435555981&sr=1-1&keywords=misa+tango).

It also extends to show programs. There's Hat Full of Stars by Nicky Holland (Yuka Sato), A Rose in the Wind by Anguun (Josee Choinard), and You Raise Me Up by Celtic Women (Shizuka Arakawa), just to name a few.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Very interesting thread!

Until yesterday, my answer to this question was "none". Although I have lots of music that has been skated to, it was all bought before I had seen anybody skating to it.

My Dad has just got a new mobile phone, and yesterday he asked me to transfer all the stuff from the old phone to the computer, and then onto the new phone.

During the transfer, I noticed that some of the files he had in his ringtones folder were those old ringtone files that only work on the phone they were originally downloaded on. So I decided to set about looking for replacements that were proper music files.

And while I was at it, I decided to look for some music for myself.

For some strange reason that I still can't work out, the first song that popped into my mind was "Koop Island Blues" by Swedish group Koop.

Mmmm. I wonder where I've heard that before... :think:

(Click the emoticon!!!)

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to add a note about what will probably be the next skating music I will buy. I had never heard any Muse songs before, but I loved the three used in Duhamel and Radford's 2014/15 FS medley so much that I am seriously thinking of buying an album! :cool:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I didn't exactly "buy" it but, I was able to obtain a copy of "Concerto For Violin And Orchestra" after I saw Adam Rippon skate to it. I also "Borrowed" his costume idea for my dance team and it's still one of my favorites to this day. Thanks Adam.:agree: