Schindler's List programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Schindler's List programs

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You're absolutely right. I think we're actually agreeing so now I'm confused.:shrug:

Seriously though...at what level can we relate an actor to an athelete. Competition isn't the same as performing. I mean...is an actor trying to achieve points and win something in which they would even have cause to celebrate. Totally off base comparison IMO. I guess YMMV.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most people feel happy when they win an Oscar or a Tony, or even any other reward of less renown.

:laugh: touché

Still...I think a distinction can be made between an award and a medal/trophy. I would also say no actor has ever known the very moment a play ended that they would win an award.

The things we discuss here at GS :laugh2:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I would also say no actor has ever known the very moment a play ended that they would win an award.

Perhaps not in definite terms but at the same time they know it would be going against their job to immediately break character the moment a play ends, while the audience is still in view. This is something that is being lost in competitive skating. There are less and less instances of people ending their programs with real purpose, in character with the program; it's more of a "thank god that is finally over" or "eh, it's not important."

Even athletically we can say it is quantifiably more difficult to "stay in character" at the end of a performance, as it requires you to hold your body in a certain way when you are tired.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought this would be a great time to revive this thread!

Other than Irina Slutskaya, Wylie and many more, I enjoyed Galina Maniachenko's rendition! Many of you may not have been born yet :)Her last name is Efremenko (married in 2005) and Aliona Savchenko is the godmother of her daughter :love2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
there is Roman Sadvosky doing SL (mixed in with Rachmaninoff Opus 3 no 2)

disclaimer... i picked the first link on youtube.. it may not be the best rendition of it by Roman.

disclaimer 2 wasn't there another skater (German?) who skated to the same soundtrack of SL + Rach

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
there is Roman Sadvosky doing SL (mixed in with Rachmaninoff Opus 3 no 2)

disclaimer... i picked the first link on youtube.. it may not be the best rendition of it by Roman.

disclaimer 2 wasn't there another skater (German?) who skated to the same soundtrack of SL + Rach

I think Roman's best version was at Canadians Nationals 2020? Where he rather unexpectedly won.... (deservedly).

randomfan

Record Breaker
Nicole Schott did skate to SL ... but i was thinking about someone else... i cannot recall ;)
You may be thinking about Satoko Miyahara. She used the same SL + Rach rendition during the second season Roman used it.

Satoko's is definitely my favourite SL program so far (and probably my favourite program of hers too). Honourable mentions would be:

Joshua Farris (idk much about him but wow his program's breathtaking)
Yulia Lipnitskaya
Roman Sadovsky
Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have enjoyed seeing the various videos.

Just for history's sake, in case this thread is revived five years from now to discuss again our many and varied Schindler's List programs:

Of course I may come back and edit after the upcoming season ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You may be thinking about Satoko Miyahara. She used the same SL + Rach rendition during the second season Roman used it.

Satoko's is definitely my favourite SL program so far (and probably my favourite program of hers too). Honourable mentions would be:

Joshua Farris (idk much about him but wow his program's breathtaking)
Yulia Lipnitskaya
Roman Sadovsky
Jason Brown
nope... i was definitely thinking about a german male skater... Peter Liebers did it.. I probably saw this at ACI????

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and yes... he did it at ACI when I went... this is the video from practice and the actual competition

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think it suits him - his style is suited to a more modern, maybe avant-garde piece. Also, I really don't like SL.

I understand what you are saying about Jason's programs having a more "modern" vibe.

I admit I am affected by the fact that for Jason, Schindler's List is part of his heritage. He has said in interviews that he waited until he was mature enough to do justice to the story before skating it. So he is not choosing it just for dramatic movie music, and I think that makes a difference.

Even if it is a warhorse by now.