"X Games On Ice" - New Yorker article | Golden Skate

"X Games On Ice" - New Yorker article

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This was just published today - a rather lengthy article about the current state of skating, with a focus on the Freezer Aerial Figure Skating Challenge. Johnny & Tara are interviewed.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/x-games-on-ice

Thx for the link and thread, gallavich :).

A skating article in The New Yorker :cool: -- not too shabby.

The author is Tracy O'Neill, who I think is the same person who has written several skating articles for Rolling Stone in recent memory :yay:.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
best part was that Icenetwork is thinking of adding skate radio to all!

I'm not so sure that the article means for all comps covered by IceNetwork :think: -- if that is what you mean, Stitch??

Last year, attendees at the U.S. Championships were able to listen in on the judges’ discussion of elements via earbuds—an option the federation is now considering adding to the Icenetwork livestream.

Not really clear to me what the sentence means. Adding to U.S. Nats streaming only? Or??

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure that the article means for all comps covered by IceNetwork :think: -- if that is what you mean, Stitch??

Last year, attendees at the U.S. Championships were able to listen in on the judges’ discussion of elements via earbuds—an option the federation is now considering adding to the Icenetwork livestream.

Not really clear to me what the sentence means. Adding to U.S. Nats streaming only? Or??

My cat was blocking my keyboard so i was trying to be quick.

I assumed it meant they were thinking of adding Skate Radio to all competitions. I assumed the judges discussions that they referred to was Skate Radio - i can't see judges being ok with eavesdroppers, that would sorta nix the whole anonymous thing.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Off-topic stupid question:

Was surprised that this New Yorker article gives a hyperlink to something on the Washington Post site.

Is it unusual for The New Yorker to give hyperlinks to something published on other sites? :confused2:​

ETA:
I guess my question really is stupid. I now see other hyperlinks to SoundCloud and NPR. I expected The New Yorker to be the type of site that links only to content on its own site. But I must be wrong.​

...since its contract with ABC, worth twelve million dollars annually, expired in 2007, U.S. Figure Skating has not been able to command rights fees from broadcasters at all.

Wow. I did not realize.

Last edited:
...since its contract with ABC, worth twelve million dollars annually, expired in 2007, U.S. Figure Skating has not been able to command rights fees from broadcasters at all.

Wow. I did not realize.

Yeah, the contract extension with ABC for the years 1999-2007 brought $100,000,000 total to the USFSA for those years. After 2007, ABC was not interested in continuing and the only deal USFS could make with NBC is sort of like a paid infomercial, where the network pays nothing and the USFSA is responsible for lining up enough advertising to pay the bills.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yeah, the contract extension with ABC for the years 1999-2007 brought $100,000,000 total to the USFSA for those years. After 2007, ABC was not interested in continuing and the only deal USFS could make with NBC is sort of like a paid infomercial, where the network pays nothing and the USFSA is responsible for lining up enough advertising to pay the bills.

Thx, MM. I had a general sense that the difference btwn the ABC and NBC eras was like night and day .... but did not realize that NBC pays literally not one penny to USFS. Yikes.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
“People just need to be themselves and be honest, and the personalities will shine through, and people will find someone to root for,” Weir said. “In the age of reality television, Twitter, people’s botched bikini waxes going up on the Internet, people need to be real. People don’t want a beautiful ice princess in a glass box anymore.”

Someone Tweet this to Gracie Gold.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Japan might really love a jumping competition to go alongside the normal SP and LP. At the end of most of their galas they have a 'Show-off' finale where skaters do some pretty crazy stuff. 4As, 4F, 4Lo and 4Lz. Everything is tried if they are in the mood.

Russia would also be pretty open to this too wouldn't it? with so many strong jumpers in their ranks.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Japan might really love a jumping competition to go alongside the normal SP and LP. At the end of most of their galas they have a 'Show-off' finale where skaters do some pretty crazy stuff. 4As, 4F, 4Lo and 4Lz. Everything is tried if they are in the mood.

Russia would also be pretty open to this too wouldn't it? with so many strong jumpers in their ranks.

They do informal jumping competitions (just for fun, no prizes) at some shows in Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkJxACKJTSQ
https://youtu.be/gdUPSEywCxo?t=127

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thx, MM. I had a general sense that the difference btwn the ABC and NBC eras was like night and day .... but did not realize that NBC pays literally not one penny to USFS. Yikes.

Yes, and this is why I said earlier this year, when we were discussing US Nationals, that it should really worry fans that there are so many sad orphaned children ads, or sad orphaned puppy ads, because those are also free airtime that the network gives!

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Yes, and this is why I said earlier this year, when we were discussing US Nationals, that it should really worry fans that there are so many sad orphaned children ads, or sad orphaned puppy ads, because those are also free airtime that the network gives!

Gurrrrrrrrrl. :yay:

leafygreens

Final Flight
“People just need to be themselves and be honest, and the personalities will shine through, and people will find someone to root for,” Weir said. “In the age of reality television, Twitter, people’s botched bikini waxes going up on the Internet, people need to be real. People don’t want a beautiful ice princess in a glass box anymore.”

Sorry but this seems discriminatory for him to say for two reasons. 1) If someone IS naturally a beautiful ice princess, what is so wrong with that? Are they supposed to change their personal style? 2) It doesn't matter what "people want" it matters how you skate. I don't think people tune in to watch Michael Phelps swim because of his personality.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Sorry but this seems discriminatory for him to say for two reasons. 1) If someone IS naturally a beautiful ice princess, what is so wrong with that? Are they supposed to change their personal style? 2) It doesn't matter what "people want" it matters how you skate. I don't think people tune in to watch Michael Phelps swim because of his personality.

I think he would have been much better to say "People don’t only want a beautiful ice princess in a glass box anymore.” I suspect that is closer to what he meant and likely not an unfair statement. Some still like that look, but many if not most want a bit more variety. Really adding only would have made it sound much better for the reasons you state.