Elizaveta Tuktamysheva | Page 238 | Golden Skate

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

IleK

On the Ice
As I said in another thread a few days back, they probably had the decision already when Liza said she was tired of the selection process and Med said if she was selected she would do her best. There is no wave without wind(old saying). Going further back, those media talks were there not for no reason. Med staying in Russia after nationals was not just for some superficial reasons. Some people have more connections.

Yes, you read my mind. This is exactly what I think. Medv was so relaxed at RCF and so happy she finnished first even with such a low margin, because she already knew she was on the team. And Liza's statement afterwards... I am so... mad... sad... I don't know. For Liza's sake I say don't look back, go further. I hope she reads not necessarily this, but posts like this that she knows she has many fans and so many people support her. Please Liza, don't give up. I give up if you do. I won't watch figure skating anymore because I can't stand this. I prayed for Anna P to not give up... figure skating shouldn't be like this.

Maagii

Rinkside
Yes, you read my mind. This is exactly what I think. Medv was so relaxed at RCF and so happy she finnished first even with such a low margin, because she already knew she was on the team. And Liza's statement afterwards... I am so... mad... sad... I don't know. For Liza's sake I say don't look back, go further. I hope she reads not necessarily this, but posts like this that she knows she has many fans and so many people support her. Please Liza, don't give up. I give up if you do. I won't watch figure skating anymore because I can't stand this. I prayed for Anna P to not give up... figure skating shouldn't be like this.
Anna was my absolute favorite skater. Her luzt-toe combo used to remind me of that Yuna's with such good ice coverage. Not to mention she was artistically the best russian female skater. When she retired, it just made me soo sad. I still watch her skating videos. It seems like you have to be rusfed's darling to stay on their grace. If the skater has different taste, interest or artistic vision than what they are ideally looking for, then they have absolutely have to fight for every spot.

LRK

Record Breaker

Her last tweet has 492 replies - I read them when there were "only" 200+, and they were very encouraging; and what I found most moving of all, was that they were from all over the world. Also there are 7,4 thousand likes - so I do hope she can draw some solace from the support.

Scott512

Record Breaker
The first time I saw the results, it was from a site that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw. So, I took them with a pinch of salt. But then I saw the same numbers on a site that I do consider to be reputable. And I just couldn't believe my eyes!

Everybody knows that although I like pretty much all of the Russian skaters, I am first and foremost a massive Liza fan. So, I have been trying to wind this bias back and look at it from a more balanced viewpoint.

You can understand the Fed being cautious about selecting Liza after her being out of action for so long due to illness. And you would understand the Fed being cautious about Zhenya, because she is still bedding in to the new coaching environment.

With this in mind, I thought the choice would be between Konstantinova, Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva. And I was actually expecting the Fed to go for Stasya, thus having the same team they did for Europeans. So, it was a big shock for me that it turned out to be a straight choice between Tuktamysheva and Medvedeva.

OK, so Stasya was a good bit behind the other two in last week's Cup Final due to scoring much lower than them in the FS. But, it is not fair to base the decision on one competition (which was effectively what happened). You have to look at the wider picture. Because this is not just about who to send to Worlds this season. This is about slots for next season as well.

Yes, Zhenya is well ahead of the other 2 in the ISU World Standings. In fact, she is in second position with over 1,000 points more than Stasya and over 1,500 points more than Liza. But, that is largely due to coming second in the Olympics last season.

When you look at the ISU World Rankings for this season, though, Zhenya is miles behind the other 2. In this, Stasya is just narrowly ahead of Liza, and they have roughly double the points of Zhenya.

Of course, these ISU stats only take into consideration international competitions. They do not take into consideration domestic competitions. Looking back to Nationals, Liza wasn't there due to her illness, but the other parts fit with the pattern of the season. Konstantinova was a full 7 points ahead of Medvedeva. That said, Zhenya did have a disasterous SP, and was ahead of Stasya in the FS.

For me, based on the form of the three skaters during the whole of this season, it should have been a close call between Liza and Stasya. Not a runaway win for Zhenya.

Although I am happy for Zhenya to be getting a chance to prove her doubters wrong (and boys but I hope she does!), I am gutted for Liza and Stasya that they were not even close to getting the nod.

In summary, although upset for Liza and Stasya, I don't actually have a problem with Zhenya getting chosen per se. The thing I am having a problem with is the margin that she won by in the vote. Because it just doesn't reflect the realities of this season.

Right, now that I have got that balanced consideration out of the way, normal service will be resumed.

Absolutely gutted that we will not see Liza at Worlds!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

CaroLiza_fan

You make many good points. But I still think Liza should have gone. Zhenya winning cup finals should have moved her ahead of shaky Stasya not 3A Liza. But i hope Zhenya can find some magic at worlds to make people feel better with her controversial selecion.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You make many good points. But I still think Liza should have gone. Zhenya winning cup finals should have moved her ahead of shaky Stasya not 3A Liza. But i hope Zhenya can find some magic at worlds to make people feel better with her controversial selecion.

As her fan, I totally agree Liza should have gone.

I was just trying to go through the options in the way that I thought the the decision makers would have gone through it. And although Stasya has had shaky moments (as you put it), I still thought they would have seen her as the safest option. After all, she did brilliantly to come back from that disasterous SP at Europeans with a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] place in the FS that put her right back into 4[SUP]th[/SUP] position overall.

I don't know what way the Fed were thinking. When Stasya was eliminated as an option (probably due to not being able to put 2 good skates together), Liza's form from before her illness, and how close she ran Zhenya last week, should have made her the obvious choice.

Like you, I hope Zhenya does find her magic. Not so much to make us fans of the Russian team feel better, but to make herself feel better. Because, it is heartbreaking to see somebody so talented struggling. And getting one good result can work wonders in boosting the confidence of somebody who has not been doing as well as they are used to.

Hey, look at Liza a few years ago. She was really struggling in 2013/14, culminating with her season ending after the SP at the Russian Cup Final. Then she won the first stage of the Russian Cup at the start of 2014/15, and wasn't lower than 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] for the rest of the season!

Or even take Liza's last 18 months. She was struggling last season, finishing the season early with a 7[SUP]th[/SUP] in Nationals. Then she won the Lombardia at the start of this season, and hasn't been off the podium since.

Once you find your confidence again, it can work miracles.

Although I was thinking of Zhenya when I started talking about the difference a good result can make to your confidence, I hope that Liza is able to win the next competition she does. Because that will:

• put the disappointment of not going to Saitama to the back of her head
  • make a point to the Fed
  • hopefully be the catalyst that starts another run of impressive results

On that last point - she's done it twice before, so she can do it again! :agree: :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Finley

Record Breaker
I don't know where else to post this so I'm posting it here. It needs to be said. Not only Liza but Alexei Mishin deserves better than this.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don't know where else to post this so I'm posting it here. It needs to be said. Not only Liza but Alexei Mishin deserves better than this.

As her fan, I totally agree Liza should have gone.

I was just trying to go through the options in the way that I thought the the decision makers would have gone through it. And although Stasya has had shaky moments (as you put it), I still thought they would have seen her as the safest option. After all, she did brilliantly to come back from that disasterous SP at Europeans with a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] place in the FS that put her right back into 4[SUP]th[/SUP] position overall.

I don't know what way the Fed were thinking. When Stasya was eliminated as an option (probably due to not being able to put 2 good skates together), Liza's form from before her illness, and how close she ran Zhenya last week, should have made her the obvious choice.

Like you, I hope Zhenya does find her magic. Not so much to make us fans of the Russian team feel better, but to make herself feel better. Because, it is heartbreaking to see somebody so talented struggling. And getting one good result can work wonders in boosting the confidence of somebody who has not been doing as well as they are used to.

Hey, look at Liza a few years ago. She was really struggling in 2013/14, culminating with her season ending after the SP at the Russian Cup Final. Then she won the first stage of the Russian Cup at the start of 2014/15, and wasn't lower than 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] for the rest of the season!

Or even take Liza's last 18 months. She was struggling last season, finishing the season early with a 7[SUP]th[/SUP] in Nationals. Then she won the Lombardia at the start of this season, and hasn't been off the podium since.

Once you find your confidence again, it can work miracles.

Although I was thinking of Zhenya when I started talking about the difference a good result can make to your confidence, I hope that Liza is able to win the next competition she does. Because that will:

• put the disappointment of not going to Saitama to the back of her head
  • make a point to the Fed
  • hopefully be the catalyst that starts another run of impressive results

On that last point - she's done it twice before, so she can do it again! :agree: :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Very well stated. Thanks.

illusionspin

Rinkside
She so deserved the Worlds spot. I like Zhenya too, but Liza was more consistent and solid and she’s being treated so badly by the Russian Fed.

Maju

On the Ice
Hey guys! I'm Maju, a new poster on GS :) I just wanted to say Liza has been absolutely stunning this season and it's a pity we can't see her at Worlds. It's exciting to see her plans for next season though, especially with her 2 3As! Hopefully she can get another program that really suits her. Could the music playing in the background of the new clip be her new FS music? What is it? It sounds great!

Giltedge

Final Flight
Nice to see the technical improvement but this only adds to the emptiness of her programs.

:scratch3:

A 20-second clip showing her practising a jump "adds to the emptiness of her programs"? How does that work then, because I fail to see how such a clip can tell us anything at all about her "programs". Is she even skating a "program" in this clip? Let alone two?

readernick

Medalist
:scratch3:

A 20-second clip showing her practising a jump "adds to the emptiness of her programs"? How does that work then, because I fail to see how such a clip can tell us anything at all about her "programs". Is she even skating a "program" in this clip? Let alone two?

I assume the poster meant it will add to the emptiness of her program because she has a long set-up time into her 3As. But, that is quite a negative way to look at this video. It is true that Liza has spent 2 or 3 times more time setting up her 3A in competition than Rika this season. But, it appears she has less set-up time on the first 3A in the video than she did before. Hopefully, she is able to do axels like this in competition then she will get higher GOE.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I assume the poster meant it will add to the emptiness of her program because she has a long set-up time into her 3As. But, that is quite a negative way to look at this video. It is true that Liza has spent 2 or 3 times more time setting up her 3A in competition than Rika this season. But, it appears she has less set-up time on the first 3A in the video than she did before. Hopefully, she is able to do axels like this in competition then she will get higher GOE.

That is exactly what I meant, and you're right that there is less set-up time which is promising. But after seeing Liza do the 3A for several years now, I think it's still fair to note that adding another could be a drawback from a program composition standpoint. She has an interesting strategy of trying to fight lower PCS with more TES, which I respect. The setup time is unfortunate because the quality of her 3A when she lands it should give her higher GOE than what she gets but the criteria is tough on her.