Elizaveta Tuktamysheva | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well she did get endorsed by Herbalife a few months back so that may explain those photos. I have never posted on her weight until now IIRC and never saw an issue myself. People come in all different shapes and sizes and Liza's seemed fine to me. As I posted on Yulia's fan page recently, I have trouble performing at maximum physical levels if I put a few extra pounds on my frame. As such I use protein/fruit and other various shakes as a part of my regular diet. They are quite healthy if used properly. They feed your muscles and help your digestive system. I see no problem if the goal is to be as healthy as possible and not just as skinny as possible. There is a huge difference IMO.

I am a quite concerned with her back issues more than anything TBH :bang: There will be a lot of :bang: going on if she skips the GP and we don't see her until nationals :bang: The thought is absolutely :bang:

Get better please Liza.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well, compared to other figure skaters, Liza's weight isn't unhealthy one way or the other. I don't think she was too "fat" (lol, that's fat?) before, nor do I think she's too skinny now. Like Sam, I'm more worried about her back. (Did Mishin refuse to bow to a vengeful Greek god in a past life or something? All his skaters end up with back injuries... :cry:)

As long as she's healthy and happy and landing her jumps, I'm okay with any-weight Liza. I don't think her weight was the problem before anyway--it was all in her head. I mean, she'd nail a 3Lz-3T then stumble out of an easier jump.

ManLady

On the Ice
As for the ongoing discussion about Liza's weight (will they ever give over?!) You all know that I never subscribed to the theory that she was overweight. I thought she was a beautiful, healthily-proportioned young woman just the way she was.

This was her natural figure, and I for one liked it!

I think most people know that beauty comes in all sizes. Weight doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to that. I don't even know why people keep bringing up beauty when we are talking about an athletic sport. I sometimes point out a skater's beauty, but it doesn't matter where score is concerned so I would never bring it up as some sort of important factor. On the other hand, Tuk's figure change coincided with a drop in her scores. If there was no causal relationship, it isn't roll-your-eyes absurd to suggest some other type of relationship, since athlete's typically try to maintain optimal fitness. For awhile Tuk's figure deviated from the average figure skater. It is much nearer now. Therefore I don't feel bad for feeling optimistic that it may reflect at least an improved state of mind on her behalf. However, if people were saying she looked uglier with additional weight that is wrong. And dumb. Especially given that she is one of the most beautiful skaters ever. 100 pounds wouldn't change that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
(Did Mishin refuse to bow to a vengeful Greek god in a past life or something? All his skaters end up with back injuries... :cry:)

I think that must be it :cry: But have hope! Artur's back is better now, I am sure Liza's will be soon!

On the other hand, Tuk's figure change coincided with a drop in her scores. If there was no causal relationship, it isn't roll-your-eyes absurd to suggest some other type of relationship, since athlete's typically try to maintain optimal fitness. For awhile Tuk's figure deviated from the average figure skater.

You mean, she turned into a young woman instead of being a stick-figure girl? Funnily enough, that happens to EVERYONE and WILL happen to everyone. It didn't make her fat, it didn't make her unfit, she developed curves the way women are supposed to when they get older and it changed her body shape, yes. It did NOT make her fat or unfit and I do not believe it was that alone that contributed to the drop in her scores. A problem with jumps that was both physical (injuries are VERY common during growth spurts) and psychological (I would guess, anyway), combined with a bunch of new wide-eyed stick-figure girls (all with inferior jumps to Liza) arriving on the scene was what dropped her scores.

Liza was never fat and Liza never needed to lose weight. Good lord, if you're this unforgiving to her, I can't imagine what people are going to be like when Liptnitskaya inevitably becomes a woman - because Liza's jumps are far superior and far better equipped for that change than Yulia's.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Jeez, I wish people didn't feel the urge to bash one body type when defending another. When someone drops the word 'fat' here, it's met with hushed silence and protests, when people start calling thin (and what's sadder, sometimes just slim) people waifs, skeletal figures, stick figures and whatnot, it's apparently okay. Talk about double standards. As a naturally very skinny person, comments like this peeve me.
Back to Elizaveta now... I don't care what body type she is, as long as she is healthy, content, and able to skate. If we have to wait till next year to see her compete- if she uses the time to heal her back, I'd say it was worth it. Good luck, Liza.

ManLady

On the Ice
You mean, she turned into a young woman instead of being a stick-figure girl? Funnily enough, that happens to EVERYONE and WILL happen to everyone. It didn't make her fat, it didn't make her unfit, she developed curves the way women are supposed to when they get older and it changed her body shape, yes. It did NOT make her fat or unfit and I do not believe it was that alone that contributed to the drop in her scores. A problem with jumps that was both physical (injuries are VERY common during growth spurts) and psychological (I would guess, anyway), combined with a bunch of new wide-eyed stick-figure girls (all with inferior jumps to Liza) arriving on the scene was what dropped her scores.

Liza was never fat and Liza never needed to lose weight. Good lord, if you're this unforgiving to her, I can't imagine what people are going to be like when Liptnitskaya inevitably becomes a woman - because Liza's jumps are far superior and far better equipped for that change than Yulia's.

(you lost me when you started throwing the word 'fat' around with all those uppercase letters. whatever it is you're trying to say, i'm sure you are 100% right. thanks for setting the matter straight.)

so... how about that new sp!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well she did get endorsed by Herbalife a few months back so that may explain those photos. I have never posted on her weight until now IIRC and never saw an issue myself. People come in all different shapes and sizes and Liza's seemed fine to me. As I posted on Yulia's fan page recently, I have trouble performing at maximum physical levels if I put a few extra pounds on my frame. As such I use protein/fruit and other various shakes as a part of my regular diet. They are quite healthy if used properly. They feed your muscles and help your digestive system. I see no problem if the goal is to be as healthy as possible and not just as skinny as possible. There is a huge difference IMO.

I am a quite concerned with her back issues more than anything TBH :bang: There will be a lot of :bang: going on if she skips the GP and we don't see her until nationals :bang: The thought is absolutely :bang:

Get better please Liza.

Sorry Sam. Don't worry, I knew you have never had any issues with Liza's weight. In the time that you have been a member, I've found that we tend to be on the same wavelength on a lot of things. The difference being that you know what you’re talking about, whereas most of the time I don’t know what I’m talking about! :laugh:

It was bad etiquette on my part. I was replying to 2 discussions in the one comment, left a space to put in a second quote in between, and then forgot to put the second quote in! (Probably because my Dad was trying to hurry me up, because we were going out shortly afterwards!)

Ah, so Herbalife are sponsoring Liza. That explains a lot. I didn't know that, so thanks for the info. Personally, I don't trust things like this, but as long as the person taking it is comfortable with it, that's the main thing.

And I fully agree with the bit about there being a difference in using them to be healthy, and using them to be skinny. Through my love of motorbike racing, I have become connected with quite a few grid girls on Facebook. One of them is best known for being a page 3 girl, but in the past couple of years she has decided that she is getting a bit old to be getting her kit off (she’s 26 now), and has re-invented herself as a successful photographer.

Anyway, the reason I mention her is that she is also a user and distributer for another weight loss supplement. As she is still modelling, it is obvious that she is using it to get thinner. The thing is, she wasn’t visibly carrying any extra weight to start with. And, now that she has lost weight, she does not suit it at all.

Which is why I get so annoyed with people saying Liza was overweight. She wasn’t – that was just her natural figure. Liza just looked like a younger version of a typical Udmurt woman. This slimmer look Liza has now just doesn’t suit her.

But what annoys me the most is that people expect female athletes to be stick thin. Yes, it helps in some ways. But, it does not mean that girls that are a bit bigger can’t be successful. Like, you only have to look back a few years to when Elene Gedevanishvili was getting on the podium at Europeans, and winning Senior B competitions, to see this.

Professional sport is rarely healthy (comparing to amateur one).

Here is another example from a different sport. An old school friend of mine was in the Northern Ireland Netball team at the recent Commonwealth Games. As long as I’ve known her, she has never been a stick insect, but she was never overweight either. Yes, she is bigger than her team-mates, but in real life she just looks normal. The important thing, though, is that she is incredibly fit, and very accurate with her shots. And this made her one of the star players of our team in Glasgow.

During the tournament, Northern Ireland scored 269 goals in 6 matches. My friend and another girl (who is tall and slim) were sharing the role of Goal Shooter. The other GS was actually on the court more – she played in 19 quarters. Hence, she scored a bigger proportion of our goals, 44%, and had an accuracy of 78% (117 goals from 150 shots). My friend by comparison was only on court for 10 quarters. Yet she managed to score 36% of our goals, and her accuracy was better at 82% (97 goals from 119 shots)

I know netball and figure skating are very different sports. In one, you run around a court for an hour, chucking a ball at each other and into a basket. In the other you glide across the ice for 3 or 4 minutes, doing all kinds of difficult jumps and spins during that time.

But, what I am saying is that if you are good enough and dedicated enough, you can still be successful at your chosen sport whatever your body shape.

You just have to be happy with yourself, and make the most of what you’ve got.

CaroLiza_fan

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Which is why I get so annoyed with people saying Liza was overweight. She wasn’t – that was just her natural figure.
I agree. I also feel Lipnitskaya is no less a woman for having a small frame(although age might be a factor :laugh: ) Almost the exact same shape in fact to my mother whom apparently I need to inform she is not a real woman. People come in all shapes and sizes. I find it extremely offensive using demeaning terms, no matter what body type were discussing, to describe any girl/woman's shape. I hope that it is not just me who feels this way.

I honestly don't see how anyone has time to focus on either girls body type anyway...their eyes are all I can see most of the time when looking at them. They are like giant magnets that attract my attention relentlessly Again....maybe it is just me. :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I agree. I also feel Lipnitskaya is no less a woman for having a small frame. Almost the same in fact to my mother whom apparently I need to inform she is not a real woman. People come in all shapes and sizes. I find it extremely offensive using demeaning terms, no matter what body type were discussing, to describe any girl/woman's shape. I hope that it is not just me who feels this way.

Exactly, Sam! :clap:

You managed to say effectively in one sentence what I was trying to get across in my last long-winded comment:

People come in all shapes and sizes.

That was a good example you used about your mother.

I have to laugh at people who talk about Julia Lipnitskaia's figure, though. She's a little girl, for goodness sake! When she grows up, she might have a more curvy figure, but she might not. It doesn't matter, in the greater scheme of things.

I honestly don't see how anyone has time to focus on either girls body type anyway...their eyes are all I can see most of the time when looking at them. They are like giant magnets that attract my attention relentlessly Again....maybe it is just me. :slink:

With other sports, I would tend to agree. But, figure skating is a strange sport in that how you look does matter. Going back to your example of Lipnitskaia, it was partly the fact that she has such a slight figure that made the "Schindler's List" programme so effective. She fitted the character she was playing. And, hence, she scored well on the interpretation.

As for eyes, it's not just you. I find them so alluring too. Anna Ovcharova. Need I say more...?

But, that's getting off topic. Let's get this thread back to talking about Liza and skating! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok....
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...=dcf0a6837a6160a1f7774dc53f0f709d&oe=5437E739
.....I'm assuming that this is a public skate/group rental session of some sort and if that is the case then isn't she going the wrong way? At least here in the States we skate laps around the outside like a race track (making left turns) and its actually enforced at most rinks. This would be considered dangerous behavior at any of my rinks and make you subject to removal. If this isn't the type of skating you wanted to discuss I apologize but that is how my mind works today apparently :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ok....
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...=dcf0a6837a6160a1f7774dc53f0f709d&oe=5437E739
.....I'm assuming that this is a public skate/group rental session of some sort and if that is the case then isn't she going the wrong way? At least here in the States we skate laps around the outside like a race track (making left turns) and its actually enforced at most rinks. This would be considered dangerous behavior at any of my rinks and make you subject to removal. If this isn't the type of skating you wanted to discuss I apologize but that is how my mind works today apparently :slink:

OK, no need to get snottery. Like, it's not as if I was disagreeing with you! I just thought that the Mods wouldn't like the Liza thread turning into a discussion about Julia.

You know, I never actually thought about it before, but yeah, you're right. People do always go the same direction (anti-clockwise). But, I didn't realise that there was an actual rule about it.

I thought it was just a case of the first person on the ice decided to go one direction, and everybody else just went the same direction so that the other person would not be getting in their way. ;)

The first time I was on the ice, I know that was my thinking. Or, rather, I was thinking more about me not getting in the way of all these people zooming around like Formula 1 racers! :eek: :laugh:

Although, now that you've pointed it out, I've been thinking and I am almost certain that in some of the photos/videos I've seen of Lucinda Ruh's twins, they've been going the "wrong" direction around the rink. Mind you, judging by the lack of other people on the ice, it probably was a private session. And they are only 2 years old after all! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was not intentionally snotty. I was honestly attempting to make fun of myself for being dimwitted enough to raise a ridiculous notion such as 'Liza skating the wrong way' to the forum. :laugh: I agree on who the topic should be here and prefer it to stay that way also. Rest assured I'll make fun of myself before I would you and 99% of other GS posters. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I haven't had a chance to see her new FS yet due to insane hours these days but I caught her SP. While I really liked her skating a lot and felt the moves...I was a bit conflicted on if I actually felt the theme. To me it was as if she carried an Egyption themed Choreo at times over Bolero. Anyway...I'm sure I'm just again being dimwitted and in time it will be more clear to me. She really is a beautiful skater. The first Russian in fact that I ever took notice of and really began to like. Pretty bummed they are talking like she may miss the GP. Have I mentioned :bang: :bang: yet.

starlight97

Final Flight
It's her back.

So many skaters get back problems. Is that due to moves like ths Bielmann or Ina Bauer and over contorting? Or is it caused by the constant landing on hard ice from a jump, which hurts the spine?

Poor girl though, I would have hoped for a sneaky comeback from her :/

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So many skaters get back problems. Is that due to moves like ths Bielmann or Ina Bauer and over contorting? Or is it caused by the constant landing on hard ice from a jump, which hurts the spine?

Poor girl though, I would have hoped for a sneaky comeback from her :/

I know a young girl who had to have surgery for a dislocated or ruptured disc. It was due to repetitive jumps entirely and not a fall as one might suspect. After the surgery she seems to be fine again and has worked her way up to triples. Liza is such an explosive jumper that I wouldn't be surprised if that was a root cause or at the very least a trigger for her. There was talk of her starting to attempt 3a again and that jump can certainly cause back issues.

I just want to see her on the GP. I don't think that is really so much to ask. Come on skating gods...do us this one solid.

LRK

Record Breaker
Which GP assignments does she have? Meaning, how long does she have to recover?

s_parks

Record Breaker
Which GP assignments does she have? Meaning, how long does she have to recover?

Skate America and Cup of China. Both quite early...:no: Maybe she can do Cup of China, idk how bad her injury is.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Is there some way to get the spin levels without those back-breaking moves? :think: It seems like those spins can cause back problems every bit as much as the jumps. (Now, for the record, I'm actually a staunch defender of the Biellmann... but there should be other options for girls like Liza who aren't ballerina-flexible).