Polina Edmunds | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Coming Back

The videos Polina has been posting in recent weeks provide a tantalizing glimpse of her progress in regaining her figure skating skills. There may be a triple loop, a successful jump combination, or a triple flip, meaning that she has toe jumps now that hadn’t been part of her repertoire when she wasn’t fully healed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtguhfGgxG2/

There have also been pictures of her at the ice skating rinks where she’s training:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwqLRUrps4l/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt4YwibgDEC/

In all, they show a radiantly beautiful young woman who seems remarkably fit and accomplished for so early in the year and after so long a layoff.

Last September, she gave an interview saying that she hadn’t lived up to her potential, and that there was more she could do. The time she had taken off had made her stronger, physically and mentally, and she felt that she could become even better than she had been before.

Most of her Instagram postings, however, show her with family and friends on various excursions and adventures, often with the sun and the sea as a motif. One viewer left a comment that she was having too much fun to ever win gold.

Some posters to this site evidently feel the same way. Polina is so obviously engaged in so many other activities, which apparently have little to do with figure skating, that they question her commitment to returning to competition.

In truth, however, one could have looked at her Instagram account at almost any time after she attained national prominence and found relatively little having to do with figure skating. There would have been a greater likelihood of seeing a picture of her dog or a culinary confection as a scene at the rink.

What should be understood is that she and her family have always wanted to her have as full and complete a life as possible. Unlike many figure skaters, she wasn’t tutored or home schooled, but attended Archbishop Mitty High School in San Jose and was active in its programs. She has also gone on to college, though her choice of Santa Clara University was in part because it is so close to where she trains. Her circle of friends has extended well beyond skating and has found a focus in her college sorority.

For someone as talented as she is, figure skating was always going to be important in any life she made for herself, but it was never going to be life itself. Rather, there has been an appreciation that her accomplishments in any field of activity will reflect the strength and character of her life as a whole.

Figure skating would be an expression of who she is, but only that. All the rest, then, far from being a diversion or distraction, also finds expression in the brilliance of her skating and in the strong and determined competitor that she has been.

The fullness of any life is like rich soil from which flowers come forth in their beauty. With her bright mind and artistic temperament, her love of beauty and romance, and for a depth of heart apparent to all those who know her, Polina would be one of those who are a source of light to the world, whatever she might do. That her heart is so present in her skating, however, allows that light to be better revealed, in its color and delicacy, as with the flowers of a forever spring.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I certainly hope she makes a great comeback because with her great height and elegance Polinas style is needed amongst all the great athletes in ladies figure skating. But I don't blame her in the least for having more interest besides figure skating.

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Beauty Once Sought

Beauty is never lost. It whispers in our dreams and leads us to chapels of faith in the stained glass of our perceptions. Its influence is always there, the way the stars are always there.

So it is that a young woman, with her life before her, as though along a golden path, will pause and linger in this place, in its familiarity and newness, to seek again the beauty once sought. She would not have been alone, had she gone on, this one worthy of courtship courted, but there is music yet to be played and a step to be danced. So will she continue her dance to the music, on slippers of shining steel, until the last note is sounded.

The stars are always there, even in the day, the distant suns of times past mixing their light with the bright noon of the present, that beauty might be found once more.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Happy Birthday, Polina !!!!:hap10::cheer::dance2::hb:

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Journey Rejoined

These late autumn days are pleasant on the eastern seaboard, the mornings chilly and the evenings touched by a lingering warmth. In the afternoon, the light falls gently golden, as nectar from a season past. Even rain during the night soothes with its rhythmic beat.

Just a little more than a year ago, Polina told a reporter that she would be coming back to figure skating. Her career had been too short, and with her injury finally healed, she could at last reveal her true potential.

This evening, at a venue in Wenatchee, a small Washington city along the Columbia River, she will be entered in the Pacific Coast Sectional Singles Final. No doubt it will be warmer there than here, though the stars of a western sky will be as much a garment of glory, and the underlying order no less apparent in them.

So, the journey begins again for her. Let time pass, let the seasons divide and depart, but let this flower of her heart yet be given expression, that goodness might with gladness its springtime meet and beauty be found within a blossom’s opening furls.[/FONT
]

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Dream

We struggle to hold on to our dreams, upon our awakening. As bright as a morning sun might be or as filled as it is with the promise of love and accomplishment, we try to recall the fading sparks of what had illuminated our night's passage, trying to find some revelation in them--some ideal--that would reconcile our hopes and desires with our waking lives.

Polina's skates at the Pacific Sectionals were lovely in a way that is unique to her, with her dancer's grace and depth of heart. The skating skills and spins she displayed were superb. Her performances, though, were also terribly flawed. It was as though she struggled to follow a line of music become suddenly faint and elusive, and the jumps which were so strong and secure in practice could never be called forth to provide their dramatic emphasis.

Perhaps later, in the light of day, she will realize how far she had come from the years ruined by injury, and find in this a foundation for wonderful things yet to come.

For now, though, she may be as Clara at the end of "The Nutcracker," lingering by the edge of sleep and mourning her lost Prince.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Who is her coach now? Just curious...

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Happy birthday, Polina!

Butterflies

A bright day, filled with hope taken wing, like a butterfly. A day that cleaves the darkness of the times.

Such a fragile, flaming creature is this hope, in this moment, found in freedom and a kind of ecstasy. A breath of azure silk, a lace of yellow and gold, a pair of wings fashioned as from orange-blossoms. There is a hovering and swirling about over thoughts and memories so close, as favorite flowers, the wings spread out in the sunlight. The keen joy of flight—wings and sunlight and petals—now shared with those whose own hopes have merged, almost imperceptibly, into a dance of wings.

For those who are too old, too closed, the moment passes. Nothing lasts, everything is transient. One hopes in vain. For the innocent, though, there is an abiding dream that is renewed each night beneath the stars, and which is given expression each dawn with the rising of the sun.

Where might it be found? What shall it be? In flashing blades and spins upon some great occasion? Or something else, poised along a path of fragrance? Whatever it is and wherever she may find it, her heart will be filled to overflowing with love and beauty, which are the essence of such a dream, that other hearts might be filled in turn.

A pool of light shows ahead, apple green and translucent. The darkness gives way, and beyond are butterflies falling and rising in the golden warmth of the day, as tangible reminders of the source of all truth and beauty and love.

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Looking Back, Looking Forward

Polina was recently interviewed on Emily Duong’s “What Fulfills You?” podcast:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/46oWEEiHcV38FIp64s5tXS

She talks about how she was brought up, and how she and her family balanced competitive figure skating with a normal life, with school and friends and interests off the rink. The youngest member of the USA team at the Socchi Olympics, she went on to studies at Santa Clara University, where she graduated this year with a B.A. in Communications and a minor in Business. She hopes to make a career in sportscasting.

When asked about her philosophy for competing, she replied, “Never look at anyone else. You focus on just yourself. That’s going to be the most important thing for success.”

Her career, as most know, was interrupted after the 2016 national championships by a foot injury. She attempted a comeback at the 2018 championships but was forced to withdraw after the short program, when the injury flared up again. She was unable to compete at the 2019 championships after finishing fifth at her sectionals, one place short of qualifying.

Had it not been for the pandemic, however, she would have been training hard with the 2022 Olympics in mind. She understands that, to be her best, it is not enough simply to master the jumps and skating skills, but that it is also necessary to learn to compete again and to feel the excitement that comes with it. She is not able to do this now and appreciates that time is running short. It may already be too late.

Even so, she finds that she can move on with her life. She is proud of what she accomplished in her skating career, but she understood all along that skating was not life itself, but a part of life. To be creative and productive, and to love others and enjoy fulfilling relationships with them, are the essence of living a life, whatever expression it might be given.

Towards the end of the interview, she says this:

"There are doors that are opening and I want to take them, and I don’t want to keep waiting because of training anymore…and me coming to terms with the fact that I am satisfied, is a big relief, as well…knowing that I can move forward and not feel guilty or sad about it, really…so, I’m feeling good."

There is a valedictory quality to her remarks, a looking back with the realization of what it all meant and will mean, as she goes on to live her life. She may not ever compete again, but this does not mean that she will not do good things in a good way.

I have sense that she will bring to whatever she does the same grace that once illuminated the ice, and that, as ever, the darkness of this world will be confounded by it.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Looking Back, Looking Forward

Polina was recently interviewed on Emily Duong’s “What Fulfills You?” podcast:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/46oWEEiHcV38FIp64s5tXS

She talks about how she was brought up, and how she and her family balanced competitive figure skating with a normal life, with school and friends and interests off the rink. The youngest member of the USA team at the Socchi Olympics, she went on to studies at Santa Clara University, from which she graduated this year with a B.A. in Communications and a minor in Business. She hopes to make a career in sportscasting.

When asked about her philosophy for competing, she replied, “Never look at anyone else. You focus on just yourself. That’s going to be the most important thing for success.”

Her career, as most know, was interrupted after the 2016 national championships by a foot injury. She attempted a comeback at the 2018 championships but was forced to withdraw after the short program, when the injury flared up again. She was unable to compete at the 2019 championships after finishing fifth at her sectionals, one place short of qualifying.

Had it not been for the pandemic, however, she would have been training hard with the 2022 Olympics in mind. She understands that, to be her best, it is not enough simply to master the jumps and skating skills, but that it is also necessary to learn to compete again and to feel the excitement that comes with it. She is not able to do this now and appreciates that time is running short. It may already be too late.

Even so, she finds that she can move on with her life. She is proud of what she accomplished in her skating career, but she understood all along that skating was not life itself, but a part of life. To be creative and productive, and to love others and enjoy fulfilling relationships with them, are the essence of living a life, whatever expression it might be given.

Towards the end of the interview, she says this:

"There are doors that are opening and I want to take them, and I don’t want to keep waiting because of training anymore…and me coming to terms with the fact that I am satisfied, is a big relief, as well…knowing that I can move forward and not feel guilty or sad about it, really…so, I’m feeling good."

There is a valedictory quality to her remarks, a looking back with the realization of what it all meant and will mean, as she goes on to live her life. She may not ever compete again, but this does not mean that she will not do good things in a good way.

I have sense that she will bring to whatever she does the same grace that once illuminated the ice, and that, as ever, the darkness of this world will be confounded by it.

Thank you very much for this update and information on Polina. To say she's a bright and Brilliant young lady would be an understatement. I hope she takes those doors that are open and the ones that are not open kicks them in! ;)

Brianne627

Rinkside
Anyone listening to her podcast Bleave in Figure Skating? There are 4 episodes available so far. It’s not bad! The ep about her senior career (2014 & 2015 seasons) is interesting.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I listened to the first two podcasts. Polina strikes me as confident, smart and self-assured.

It was interesting that she felt slighted by USFS not being celebrated as a student/athlete and often ridiculed for bringing her schoolwork to competitions. I like that she has always made sure to balance skating with studying.

spiralsnowflake

Rinkside
Have you guys been keeping up with Polina's podcast? Some of my favorite episodes she put out were "Your Body is Your Weapon" speaking on body image for young skaters and her episode "The Rink Environment" where she discusses the importance of positive training environments for young athletes.

She's got some great interviews as well, and that Skate America recap episode was interesting!

spiralsnowflake

Rinkside
Speaking of interviews, she just released an episode with Gracie Gold! Two Sochi teammates talking about the struggle of making a comeback.

"This episode I talk to Gracie Gold about our favorite Sochi memories, and the realities of Comeback hardships after taking a long break from sport. We expose the common misconception: "Work hard and you'll be the skater you once were", and instead shine a light on how the physical and mental game of returning to sport after long hiatus is learning to be a different skater. We also touch on Body Image and the current wave of younger skaters, with some advice from Gracie on treating your body with kindness."

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Awakening

Most people awaken one day to a life that is very different than what they might have hoped for or dreamed of. Many are disappointed, some find it tragic, and a few spend the rest of their lives turning over shards and fallen leaves, trying to find some remnant of old dreams beneath them.

Watching Polina from afar, I know that it is different for her. Figure skating was always a part of her life, but not life itself. As important as it was to her, in expressing her personality and appreciation of beauty, it was less so than the love she had for family and friends or the many other activities that brought her into contact with people and this world of creation.

Her own awakening may have come when her skating career ended on the very cusp of the success she had for so long sought after. She did not give it up willingly but came back again and again. But for the pandemic, she would have returned once more. Along the way, though, she came to realize that she had gone far enough along that path. The parting that comes to nearly everyone in the sport came to her as well, only a little sooner. She still practiced, regained the jumps she had lost, and then, knowing that she could continue, if she chose to, she put it aside on her own terms.

Today, she shares the wisdom she gained in a series of well received podcasts, provides coaching advice, pursues a new career in broadcasting, and finds her life becoming ever richer, as her heart deepens and becomes more open. Always there must be another, for love is two become one.

Figure skating is still much a part of her life, but increasingly as a context for the love of beauty which has always been its essence. It was the stem and shoot that took her to rare atmospheres and bright lights but allows her now to know that life itself is filled with such places, if you will seek them out with the eyes of innocence.

For her, the awakening was not from a dream, but into her dreams to come.

Last edited: