Polina Edmunds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds

Sara

On the Ice
I don't know what her past history is, but if this week is anything to judge by, she's where she needs to be right now. I know she still looks a bit juniorish, but she also clearly has uncommon musicality, and she's able to keep up with the technical demands of a senior program. Her use of her arms, and her ability to execute the little extra steps and grace notes that Klimova put into her program, show that she can become a truly complete skater. I don't know whether she'll get a place on this year's Olympic team, because things are agonizingly confusing thanks to Ashley's fourth-place finish, but one way or another she deserves a place on the world stage. I know that people have been getting excited about Julia Lipnitskaya this year, and I enjoyed her Schindler's List program a great deal, but even she didn't touch me the way Edmunds did with that Grieg long program yesterday evening. There's something amazing there, and I hope she continues to grow and improve.

I totally agree! I'm in awe of this young talent. I think USFSA made the right decision in choosing Polina instead of Mirai. Neither of them would have a chance to medal in Sochi but these Olympics could be invaluable to a skater like Polina who has tremendous potential and could fight for a medal in 2018 Olympics.

ks777

Record Breaker
I totally agree! I'm in awe of this young talent. I think USFSA made the right decision in choosing Polina instead of Mirai. Neither of them would have a chance to medal in Sochi but these Olympics could be invaluable to a skater like Polina who has tremendous potential and could fight for a medal in 2018 Olympics.
funny. Mirai came so close to medaling in Vancouver. We all thought Mirai had tremendous potential 4yrs ago also.. look how that turned out. All I can say is that Polina is very very thin right now. She will be a different lady in 4yrs.

funny. Mirai came so close to medaling in Vancouver. We all thought Mirai had tremendous potential 4yrs ago also.. look how that turned out. All I can say is that Polina is very very thin right now. She will be a different lady in 4yrs.

Edmunds has already had one growth spurt, IIRC. So maybe she won't grow much taller. Let's hope she will end up with a body type like Kostner. *fingers crossed*

As for Nagasu, she's 'unfortunate enough' to have a normal woman's body (I feel really horrible saying that but bio-dynamics is merciless) but I don't think it's just that. I think Nagasu is the victim of being taught crappy 'quick fix' jump technique when she was young because whoever her coach was back then wanted quick results to keep parents happy and keep them shelling out $$$. And she's paying the price today, struggling with under-rotations.

ks777

Record Breaker
I know. I thought Mirai was going to be the next Yuna or Mao when I first saw her at the US Jr National. I blame her coach for not fixing her jump technique! Also I feel like she had the talent but she never work hard for it. She really hasn't improved much as far as her spins, skating skills etc. actually, I think her speed got much slower over the years.. If she still wants to keep going, maybe she can move to Japan and train with Nobuo Sato.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
In USFS' defense all three of those skaters scored higher than Edmunds' result. But then Edmunds had one less element in the FS and was restricted on the choice of elements in the SP. And senior marks were inflated, relative to the junior marks.
OK; I think I just figured out the answer I was waiting for by reflecting on what you wrote:
If I understand correctly, then Cesario, Hicks and Siraj didn't compete against her when she won JN. Because they were competing in the senior event.
Everybody: THAT would have been the easy, obvious answer I was waiting for!! :rolleye:

Blondie12

On the Ice
Is Polina really 5'4 and just 70 pounds? The NYT article said 4 years ago she was 4'11 and 70 pounds and now she is 5'4 but the same weight.

If true, isn't that seriously underweight?? A Girl 5'4 even if slim should not weigh 70 pounds.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't want to see stick figures in ladies' competitions. They have early success and then who knows what will happen when the puberty monster takes over.

Yes, they are cute to see, ala Radionova, Lipnitskaia, etc. But keep them in juniors until they are past puberty. I know, this is a controversial stance!

ks777

Record Breaker
Is Polina really 5'4 and just 70 pounds? The NYT article said 4 years ago she was 4'11 and 70 pounds and now she is 5'4 but the same weight.

If true, isn't that seriously underweight?? A Girl 5'4 even if slim should not weigh 70 pounds.
she looked way underweight.

Country
Russia
I don't want to see stick figures in ladies' competitions. They have early success and then who knows what will happen when the puberty monster takes over.
Let us enjoy her skating now, when she skates well.

And future - we will know it in future.
Anything may happen - maybe as Mao Asada great success when more mature, maybe as Caroline Zhang. Nobody knows.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I really like Polina. I liked how she got out there in her 1st Senior Nationals and attacked her program. She did not back off of anything and skated a very demanding program. I am glad that the judges are rewarding new comers when they skate well as it use to be unless you were a named skater you have to wait your turn. A lot can happen in four years and I am delighted that Gracie and Polina stepped up and skated so well. I am happy to see that they are both going to the Olympics because they are the future and the experience will be invaluable. If Gracie skates as well as she did at Nationals, she will be right up there in the mix.

If I understand correctly, then Cesario, Hicks and Siraj didn't compete against her when she won JN. Because they were competing in the senior event.

Yes.

Last season Edmunds won Junior Nationals.

Cesario, Hicks and Siraj competed in Seniors. All of them scored higher than Edmunds and USFS decided to send them and not her to Junior Worlds.

Reason #225435 for why all USFS officials should get whacked on both knees with a retractable police baton. (Where is Jeff Gillooly when you need him?)

An ordinary girl, no. A competitive athlete, yes.

If you look at BMI of competitive athletes in endurance sports and sports like figure skating or ski jumping where you should be as light as possible, it's going to be extremely low. But BMI was never meant to be used as a tool for individual diagnosis of a healthy weight. Body fat ratio is what you want to look at.

Barb

Record Breaker
She is very skinny but I think is normal because she is 15yo,you can look some girls in junior high school are very thin, I think she is in pediatric scales yet. The problem is if she dont gain weight in The next years, I dont like right now, she is so Boring for me. I hope in 1 or 2 years she will improve, she is very young.

RABID

Final Flight
She is very skinny but I think is normal because she is 15yo,you can look some girls in junior high school are very thin, I think she is in pediatric scales yet. The problem is if she dont gain weight in The next years, I dont like right now, she is so Boring for me. I hope in 1 or 2 years she will improve, she is very young.

This is her body type and this is her age. She's basically a tall little girl. Now that she is in the spotlight I expect she is going to get all the professional assistance available to her and that includes nutritional experts as well. I would be very surprised if her body type changes; getting very breasty, hippy or heavy. But she can get more muscle mass and develop more power. Anyway, I am sure she'll be a topic of conversation on this board for a few years anyway. Right now she appears to have a mind like a steel trap; little garbage gets in her head, always a good thing.

RobinA

On the Ice
I like Polina a lot, but I, too, think she may grow too tall. Yes, she is skinny, but her arms and legs are quite long. I guess we will see. She did have some great content in her program.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USFS has had a history of sending to JW Senior skaters who are still junior-age-eligible. Apparently they aren't doing that this year: they are sending the gold and silver Junior medalists Amber Glenn and Tyler Pierce, both of whom debuted on the JGP this season, and Karen Chen, who would have gone to the JGPF but withdrew due to injury. Karen also withdrew from Nationals due to injury. If she isn't able to go to JW, the first alternate is Hannah Miller (9th-Senior Ladies).

guanchi

On the Ice

I don't see any NYT article that mentions her weight as 70lbs- that would be pure anorexia if true, although mid 90's sounds more realistic. Also, in the photo of Polina jumping in midair, you can see how developed she is in the upper body- shoulders and arms.
She's thin, but very toned and fit.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't believe Polina is only 70 lbs. We were in the first row on the ice at the gala and she doesn't look like she's that skinny. Meryl Davis actually looks like she weighs less and no one is picking on her.

But I will say this - this young girl needs a stylist and a hairdresser!

iceskatingmonkey

Spectator
Polina skates so hard, its unreal. Do you guys feel me? She definetly deserved it and no one else skates harder than Polina. All of you saying shes too young you are dumb because shes young yes but shes needs the experience if USA wants to win any more future gold medals. ****