Michael Christian Martinez | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michael Christian Martinez

BusyMom

Medalist
^ Who is his new coach? Not a big fan of Morozov but his works with Daisuke always great. Can't wait to see his new programs.

chantastic

Rinkside
Hello! I'm new to this forum. ^^

Just heard of the news that Michael has an invite to Skate America, and this is his first senior GP assignment. I'm so excited for him! :D

arcticwolf

Rinkside
Hello! I'm new to this forum. ^^

Just heard of the news that Michael has an invite to Skate America, and this is his first senior GP assignment. I'm so excited for him! :D

Me too. Congratulations to him! I hope he delivers a good performance there. Though I wish he could compete with Yuzuru. Probably in a B competition?

lady_bee

Medalist
It's new to hear he is half Japanese.

I may sound ironic, but I think if he really wants Japanese support, he should appeal to Daisuke rather than Yuzuru.
Daisuke's fan are well known for richness (as you can see, they are flying all over the world for him),
and now, they are nearly loosing their icon.

This is not a beautiful idea, but has just came my mind as a one of strategy to boost his popularity in the country where people spend lots of money for FS.

chantastic

Rinkside
It's new to hear he is half Japanese.

I may sound ironic, but I think if he really wants Japanese support, he should appeal to Daisuke rather than Yuzuru.
Daisuke's fan are well known for richness (as you can see, they are flying all over the world for him),
and now, they are nearly loosing their icon.

This is not a beautiful idea, but has just came my mind as a one of strategy to boost his popularity in the country where people spend lots of money for FS.

I think Michael appeals more to the Yuzuru fans because of their similarities--Biellmann spin aside, they both have asthma, they're both the youngest in their families, etc.

Though I think there's this fan group that's starting a project to raise funds for him. :)

foruiz

Final Flight
Any news about his new programs? There is a sneek peek on his SP but what about his LP? He seems to be in the Philippines very often for receiving his awards. I hope he has time for training. According to that news clip that I posted previously he will be debuting both programs in Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy in Taiwan in August. That would be the first ISU sanctioned competition for this season.

chantastic

Rinkside
Any news about his new programs? There is a sneek peek on his SP but what about his LP? He seems to be in the Philippines very often for receiving his awards. I hope he has time for training. According to that news clip that I posted previously he will be debuting both programs in Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy in Taiwan in August. That would be the first ISU sanctioned competition for this season.

If I recall from a convo with an inside source, he's keeping Romeo & Juliet for his SP, and from the news clip I've seen before, I think he's skating to Phantom of the Opera for his free.

Some fans see him in the Mall of Asia rink a lot, so I guess he's training there.

foruiz

Final Flight
Oh, I thought the Phantom of the Opera was the SP. Thanks for that info chantastic. Would you also know if he plans on adding a quad to his programs? If so what type of quad is he practicing at the moment?

chantastic

Rinkside
Oh, I thought the Phantom of the Opera was the SP. Thanks for that info chantastic. Would you also know if he plans on adding a quad to his programs? If so what type of quad is he practicing at the moment?

I haven't seen the program yet, so I wouldn't know, though I heard him mention in one interview that he does want to work on a quad jump.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Good job at Lombardia this weekend. I was stunned when I saw that MCM finished ahead of Florent Amodio. :eek:

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
Good job at Lombardia this weekend. I was stunned when I saw that MCM finished ahead of Florent Amodio. :eek:

Though that's only for the short, dear. A-Flo still finished ahead of Michael because his FS score was better than Michael's (MCM didn't have much of a lead from Florent after the SP anyway, but well you probably know about it already lol).

I hope he continues to improve his skate. I've seen that he's very active on social media and it feels like he's not really skating that much -- makes me think that somehow it's not just lack of funds as he says, but also because he's being pulled into different directions by his sponsors (companies or individuals) which leaves the kid with barely enough time on ice to practice.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I hope he continues to improve his skate. I've seen that he's very active on social media and it feels like he's not really skating that much -- makes me think that somehow it's not just lack of funds a he says, but also because he's being pulled into different directions by his sponsors (companies or individuals) which leaves the kid with barely enough time on ice to practice.

He is definitely being distracted by the mass media in Philippines. I've seen so many mini-updates from him in the news. With that, I'm really not sure why his team isn't doing anything about it either. :/

anyanka

Record Breaker
Though that's only for the short, dear. A-Flo still finished ahead of Michael because his FS score was better than Michael's (MCM didn't have much of a lead from Florent after the SP anyway, but well you probably know about it already lol).

I hope he continues to improve his skate. I've seen that he's very active on social media and it feels like he's not really skating that much -- makes me think that somehow it's not just lack of funds as he says, but also because he's being pulled into different directions by his sponsors (companies or individuals) which leaves the kid with barely enough time on ice to practice.

True. :) I was just surprised that Florent, being arguably the biggest "name" there, would not have won the event.

Let's also remember MCM doesn't have a lot of ice time on rinks when he's in Manila. He seems to be a big name there now (and not just a flash-in-the-pan novelty). Good thing he's in Hackensack now so he can train with little interruption.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
He has quite the fan club, judging by the reception at the Lombardia Trophy & the thousands of "likes" he gets on his FB posts. Most big name skaters don't garner that many. He has tons of natural talent, so I hope he'll be able to live up to the hype. But Morozov is seriously his coach now? :confused: Why???

As for Florent, well...I think his problems are almost all psychological. I still enjoy his skating, but I don't know if he really has the mentality it takes to be a winner. From what I've seen of MCM, he really gives it his all even with all of the setbacks. I just hope Morozov won't suck out his soul the way he seems to do with other skaters...:slink: