Anastasiia Gubanova | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Anastasiia Gubanova

ellej97

Rinkside
Why did she only get the one JGP assignment? She was second in the Grand Prix final last year!!! 😔

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Why did she only get the one JGP assignment? She was second in the Grand Prix final last year!!! 😔

She had 2 initially but placed 4th in her first event in Austria. With the high amount of Russian juniors clamoring for spots, no medal usually means a skater loses the second assignment.

Myslitel

On the Ice

This is the other side of the level of competition among girls in Russia. Or, if you want - it's a fee for such a level of competition. Nastya did not receive (and will not) the second stage of the JGP for two reasons: because she was only the fourth at her first JGP stage (and now chances of qualifing for GP final looks ghostly), and because so many Russian girls performed better than she, in their first stages of JGP, and, accordingly, retain a good chance of reaching the final. Let's see what places were won by Russian girls in the first stages:

1.Trusova - 1
2.Tarakanova - 1
3.Panenkova - 1
4.Gulyakova - 2
5.Konstantinova - 3
6.Fedichkina - 4
7.Gubanova - 4

As you can see, Nastia is only in seventh place - this despite the fact that some have not yet started (Samodurova, Kostornaya).
Since no more than 6 girls will get in 2 stages (or maybe 4, although, most likely, there will be 5 of them), Gubanova has no chances - she is the seventh in this rating even right now.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Gubanova's lutz entry is not a very promising sign, really. It's something you might see out of a 11-year-old. I thought the same thing with Sakhanovich's stalking axel entry and she never managed to fix it(and lost her other jumps too). On a positive note however, her lutz itself looks just a bit better there than it usually does. So maybe she keeps the entry nonexistent simply because she's concentrating so much on fixing the form - that'd be promising.

And that made me also realize something else - that's the reason she does combos with both of her lutz even though it's a relatively weak jump. A solo jump with such a weak entry would get harshly criticized but for a combo it's nearly alright.

I hope that she can get some consistency to her jumps and continues fixing her trouble jumps like the lutz because the performance itself was lovely(Though the camera work and quality were quite unfortunate).

s_parks

Record Breaker
She is just so lovely and amazing. I know objectively her programs aren't the best this season but the way she moves and interprets them(especially in the short, that summertime part- swoon) makes me want to give her all the pcs. The jump technique is unfortunate but her skating and packaging is exquisite. Hope the jumps really work out. Happy for this good outing though.

tars

Record Breaker
She is a bit slower than last season I think. Both of her programs this season I don’t like as much as last season. But the main point is for her to regain her confidence and fix her jump technique as soon as possible. Will Urmanov take her back? I remember he taught her when she was young.
Afaik Urmanov coaches in Sochi full time, 2000km away from her home and she's not even 15 yet, so...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
at what other events will nastya be competing this season?

Not enough!! She's one of the few good ones ;)

She'll be at Russian Nationals but will probably get low balled no matter how well she skates 😕

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She needs to compete in another Stage of the Russian Cup to get a Nationals spot.

Really...the field is way too deep then. Her scoring potential is thru the roof and her presentation rivals that of someone like Kostner.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Really...the field is way too deep then. Her scoring potential is thru the roof and her presentation rivals that of someone like Kostner.
Everyone needs two, it's not specific to Nastya. Only those who have a Senior GP spot or make it to the JGP final get a Nationals spot automatically, others need two stages of the Russian Cup and good placements in them as there are only 18 spots altogether.

Ender

Match Penalty
Not enough!! She's one of the few good ones ;)

She'll be at Russian Nationals but will probably get low balled no matter how well she skates 😕
I still think she was robbed of a place at Junior World Team last season. Because she’s too young so they gave other girls who will be old enough for senior his season.