Anastasiia Gubanova | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Anastasiia Gubanova

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I also believe that Nastya can still be in the mix for Grand Prix, or at least challenger events in the next season. I know that the depth in Russia is crazy and that Nastya may never be a top dog, but I believe she should've gotten the SC spot this year over Serafima and even with Ksenia Sinitsyna coming up next year, I hope that Nastya will go to some summer events and prove that she is not going down without a fight.

Cmon, give her a challenger at the very least!

Scott512

Record Breaker
I also believe that Nastya can still be in the mix for Grand Prix, or at least challenger events in the next season. I know that the depth in Russia is crazy and that Nastya may never be a top dog, but I believe she should've gotten the SC spot this year over Serafima and even with Ksenia Sinitsyna coming up next year, I hope that Nastya will go to some summer events and prove that she is not going down without a fight.

Cmon, give her a challenger at the very least!

Agree 100%. But she hardly ever skates in any events which is just putting more pressure on her. A skater of Nastyas caliber not even getting Challenger is ridiculous. And not getting a Grand Prix event after being named to the national team was stupid because they wasted their choices on Masha and Serafima who did nothing the previous season to warrant a Grand Prix event. Nastya skated much better than them last season and Serafima didn't even qualify for Russian Nationals. Yet she ends up with the Grand Prix event. A lot of this is who you know and who your parents know. Nastya has even lost opportunities to Stasya when Nastya clearly deserved the spot. I don't know how this has not broken this girl. She is tougher than she looks.

But at this point what can Nastya do? She's battling her Federation who do not even want her around and she's battling puberty and battling incredible talent all around her in Russia.

Good luck to Anastasia in the Russian Cup final. This is her last event of the season and I hope she's ready for it. Because if she does not perform well you know the Federation is going to say say she does not deserve Grand Prix and Challenger events. The pressure is on.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Agree 100%. But she hardly ever skates in any events which is just putting more pressure on her. A skater of Nastyas caliber not even getting Challenger is ridiculous. And not getting a Grand Prix event after being named to the national team was stupid because they wasted their choices on Masha and Serafima who did nothing the previous season to warrant a Grand Prix event. Nastya skated much better than them last season and Serafima didn't even qualify for Russian Nationals. Yet she ends up with the Grand Prix event. A lot of this is who you know and who your parents know. Nastya has even lost opportunities to Stasya when Nastya clearly deserved the spot. I don't know how this has not broken this girl. She is tougher than she looks.

But at this point what can Nastya do? She's battling her Federation who do not even want her around and she's battling puberty and battling incredible talent all around her in Russia.

Good luck to Anastasia in the Russian Cup final. This is her last event of the season and I hope she's ready for it. Because if she does not perform well you know the Federation is going to say say she does not deserve Grand Prix and Challenger events. The pressure is on.

Nastya of course deserved a GP spot but saying that Sima did nothing to deserve hers is unfair. Just look at the results of the 2018 Tallin Trophy Cup, where Nastya was 4th and Sima won: https://data.tallinntrophy.eu/2018/TallinnTrophy/CSEST2018/CAT002RS.HTM. Nastya's SB was 198.65, whereas Sima's was 202.62. They should have both got GP spots but Nastya's score was lower. As to Challenger spots, I complain about that a lot in the Russian ladies thread. It's really baffling why Nastya got no spot at all this year (but she wasn't the only one: Nastya Guliakova, Alena Leonova, Ksenia Tsibinova, each a very good skater in her own right, got no Challenger spots. Alena L. talked about not having the funds to go to one, so that must have been one of the issues). Maybe it was because that interview of Nastya's.

The Russian Cup Final is Nastya's chance to prove herself.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Nastya of course deserved a GP spot but saying that Sima did nothing to deserve hers is unfair. Just look at the results of the 2018 Tallin Trophy Cup, where Nastya was 4th and Sima won: https://data.tallinntrophy.eu/2018/TallinnTrophy/CSEST2018/CAT002RS.HTM. Nastya's SB was 198.65, whereas Sima's was 202.62. They should have both got GP spots but Nastya's score was lower. As to Challenger spots, I complain about that a lot in the Russian ladies thread. It's really baffling why Nastya got no spot at all this year (but she wasn't the only one: Nastya Guliakova, Alena Leonova, Ksenia Tsibinova, each a very good skater in her own right, got no Challenger spots. Alena L. talked about not having the funds to go to one, so that must have been one of the issues). Maybe it was because that interview of Nastya's.

The Russian Cup Final is Nastya's chance to prove herself.
What interview? With that trouble causing hack Rodina?

We can go back and forth and who deserved a Grand Prix event or not but for the girls you listed not even getting one Challenger is shocking and disappointing. Challenger spots are very important. I don't know why they can't send 3 girls to each Challenger. Unless it's a money issue but I would think the Russian skating Federation would have a lot of money. So many very good girls did not get a Challenger it's ridiculous. We can argue about the Grand Prix events all we want and who deserved them but for these skaters not to get one Challenger event is shocking. My concern is that the Federation who never even gave Nastya real chances like they did a lesser skater in Stasya have no interest in doing anything for Nasttya at this point of her career. Can she change the narrative and matter to the Federation with all the incredible talent around her?

On a side note how can a season's best for Nastya matter at all when the events they let her skate in the season's best like Russian Nationals don't count?

I say good for Anastasia for not giving up and hanging in there through puberty and being wrongfully snubbed by her Federation several times. I hope she is skating because she still loves it and when she's on her artistry, musicality and interpretation are magnificent.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
I say good for Anastasia for not giving up and hanging in there through puberty and being wrongfully snubbed by her Federation several times. I hope she is skating because she still loves it and when she's on her artistry, musicality and interpretation are magnificent.
There's one thing i hope for her: to switch country
She's too good to be constantly ignored by her fed.

Scott512

Record Breaker
There's one thing i hope for her: to switch country
She's too good to be constantly ignored by her fed.

To which country? USA or Canada or a former Soviet Bloc country? Canada really needs help with their ladies so that would be my choice for Nastya. But the Federation that has ignored her and snubbed her her whole career will probably block her from going to another country.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Thank you for those videos. Nastya was outstanding and deserved higher score than that in the Russian Cup final. But at least it's something to build on next season and I think she saved her career this year even though she skated so little. She has fought through puberty nicely. I am hoping that battle is finished and she can just get on with her career and skate to a couple classics next season and really show off her God given talents of exceptional artistry hand and arm movements musicality and especially interpretation and feeling. I sure hope the Federation is thinking well of Nastya again and gives her at least a couple challenges next season with an outside shot at a Grand Prix event.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
A little provisional of the grand prix assignments for 2020-21. The depth this year isn't as great as it was last year, so Nasyta, assuming she continues to skate competitively, has some sort of a very little outside shot. Otherwise, her finish at the cup final should merit a challenger event.

Russia has 18 spots across 6 events, 3 skaters per event.

Alexandra Trusova: 2 spots
Alena Kostornaia: 2 spots
Anna Shcherbakova: 2 spots
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva: 2 spots
Evgenia Medvedeva: 2 spots
Alina Zagitova: 2 spots*
Sofia Samodurova: 2 spots
Ksenia Sinitsyna: 2 spots
Viktoria Vasilieva: 1 spot
Anastasia Guliakova: host spot

*In the likely event that Zagitova does not participate in the GP series, next in line would be VAsilieva to get a second spot, then Nastya to get her first senior GP spot. Nothing is guarenteed though - in the 18/19 season Nastya and Anna Tarusina were both "guarenteed" spots based on their previous season's best and world ranking, but neither ogt ont and they were given to Serafima Sakhanovich and Maria Sotskova (for the latter, probably based on the merit of her Olympic season results)

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
A little provisional of the grand prix assignments for 2020-21. The depth this year isn't as great as it was last year, so Nasyta, assuming she continues to skate competitively, has some sort of a very little outside shot. Otherwise, her finish at the cup final should merit a challenger event.

Russia has 18 spots across 6 events, 3 skaters per event.

Alexandra Trusova: 2 spots
Alena Kostornaia: 2 spots
Anna Shcherbakova: 2 spots
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva: 2 spots
Evgenia Medvedeva: 2 spots
Alina Zagitova: 2 spots*
Sofia Samodurova: 2 spots
Ksenia Sinitsyna: 2 spots
Viktoria Vasilieva: 1 spot
Anastasia Guliakova: host spot

*In the likely event that Zagitova does not participate in the GP series, next in line would be VAsilieva to get a second spot, then Nastya to get her first senior GP spot. Nothing is guarenteed though - in the 18/19 season Nastya and Anna Tarusina were both "guarenteed" spots based on their previous season's best and world ranking, but neither ogt ont and they were given to Serafima Sakhanovich and Maria Sotskova (for the latter, probably based on the merit of her Olympic season results)

I guess you were talking about season 19/20, not season 18/19? Sakhanovich and Sotskova both had one "guaranteed" spot, based on 15th place in SB and 19th place in World Standings, respectively. World Ranking doesn't count towards GP spots. Sakhanovich had priority over Tarusina and Gubanova because she was higher on SB list. As for Sotskova, possibly it had more to do with WS Top 24 being considered prior to considering anybody according to the SB list in the initial selection procedure (this wasn't stated in the GP announcement, but it could have been done in practice); her Olympic season results contributed a lot to her WS, but there was nothing wrong with that. IF Nastya could have taken any other spot for her guaranteed one, it was Konstantinova's second spot which was not guaranteed (the least unfair situation I can think of).

About the posibility of her GP attendance next season, I'm quite pessimistic. She is not on the SB list, and too far down the WS list.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Happy 18-th birthday today for Anastasiya.

And she's been declared Girl of the Day: https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/beauty/2861318.html
You always come up clutch with the information Edwin .

Happy birthday Anastasia!

Reading the comments after the short article about her birthday was bittersweet for me. I can only hope Nastya is healthy and happy and that she actually skates next week in the St. Petersburg cup. Hearing today that big Liza and big Nastya (Guliakova) have covid-19 is shocking but should not be. They are all trying to live their lives and take their careers as far as possible and there is risk involved in that with this worldwide pandemic.

Nastya form and skating was good at the Russian Cup Final in February and it seemed like she was through puberty. She hasn't competed since then so I have no idea what to expect from her next week when Nastya finally starts her season. She did the most beautiful Romeo and Juliet I've seen since Sasha Cohen in 2006. Nastya did that as a junior I would like to see her bring back R & J at some point as a senior now that she's 18 it will look different it will look even more mature then when she was 13 or 14. I can't wait to see what her programs are.

Scott512

Record Breaker
SP from SPB championships:

I thought I recognized the music. It's the same short program from last season. I think Nastya skated this better with the better flow to it than last season.

I'm glad she's back but it's a little late for this season. The mystery continues as to why Nastya didn't skate before December. So nice to see her again.

Delienne

Rinkside
I thought I recognized the music. It's the same short program from last season. I think Nastya skated this better with the better flow to it than last season.

I'm glad she's back but it's a little late for this season. The mystery continues as to why Nastya didn't skate before December. So nice to see her again.
I share your frustration and would like to know why we couldnt see her at the Russian Cup. Her Take Five sp at Russian cup final a couple of seasons ago is still in my mind, it was great

Azikin

Medalist
I think Nastya skated this better with the better flow to it than last season.
I think so, too. She simply looke better than last season, which was very surprising for me. She should get a wild card for Nationals or something. It's ridiculous she wouldn't be there.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I share your frustration and would like to know why we couldnt see her at the Russian Cup. Her Take Five sp at Russian cup final a couple of seasons ago is still in my mind, it was great
I hope she brings back take five for next season and R and J too. Since nastya is a little lighter than last season she's getting some of her speed and spins back so take 5 would suit her well next season.

Nastya did the most beautiful Romeo and Juliet since Sasha Cohen did it 2006. But Nastya was just a junior then and 13 and 14 when she did that program now she's 18 and an adult. I would like her to do it again it would probably look and feel better than any R and J we've seen in recent years.

Good luck in the free skate to Anastasia.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think so, too. She simply looke better than last season, which was very surprising for me. She should get a wild card for Nationals or something. It's ridiculous she wouldn't be there.
It's still an mystery what happened to her this season and why she didn't scape and the Russian cup series. Lesser skater than hers skated in 2 of the Russian cup events and 2 of them even train at the same academy. I would hope a wildcard to nationals would be possible because Nastya has been very respectable in her four senior nationals placing between 5th and 10 all 4 times all while being low balled with scores. Another thing of factored in Nationals are in Siberia and do the athletes really want to be on a plane for several hours with a hundred other people from the Academy's going to Nationals? Coronavirus is spreading like wildfire among the Russian skaters so there is a risk involved.

Nastya scored 215 points or thereabouts a career high for her last year when she won the Saint Petersburg cup. She seems leaner and quicker which should make her spins better. I would like to compare her score from this year's SP at the Saint Petersburg got to last year's SP since its the same music. I bet she scored lower in the SP this season compared to her skating the SP in the same event last season and if that's the case that makes no sense. I mean wouldn't see judges who are Russian and living in Saint Petersburg do a little bit better score wise for their skaters?

I mean the 2019 European champion Sofia Samodurova seems to be stuck in the 180s and 190s since then. It's bewildering. Yes we know the top Eteri girls are better because of their technical abilities and ultra jumps. But are they really 40, 50 and 60 points better then most of the Saint Petersburg girls? It kind of make she go hmmmm. And no one can deny that when it comes to artistry musicality interpretation and feel some of the Saint Petersburg skaters are head and shoulders above most of the high-scoring moscow-based girls.

I also like Nastyas SP dress more this year than last year.

Nastya is finly through puberty so hopefully the best is still ahead for her. :)

Last edited: