IceNetwork to stream JGP Colorado Springs | Golden Skate

IceNetwork to stream JGP Colorado Springs

charmblade

Final Flight
I was just poking around on the IceNetwork site (because I'm bored and it's the offseason) and they have this JGP listed on their schedule and the event page says it will provide live coverage for season pass subscribers. As far as I know they don't usually stream the JGPs, and I assume they are only doing this one because it's happening in the US, but it's pretty cool that we will get live coverage of this one. I know last year there was a YouTube channel provided by the ISU (I think it was them?) that streamed everything, but I thought people might be interested to note another way to watch.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does that mean us Americans will get blacked out from the free ISU JGP feed that was the best feed last season? :hopelessness:

Celine

On the Ice
Ridiculous if they block the US viewer in my opinion. Icenetwork should make the video feed available for free. Come on, it's JUNIORs. How else does a network build viewership if it isn't to encourage fans to watch the up and comers? Such outdated thinking regarding OTT streaming access if they block in the US.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Invest in a decent VPN and you can access the free ISU stream regardless of geo-blocking. Even if you have a season-pass to IN, I would still recommend the ISU feed whenever possible. Their feed has less lag, and more importantly, the video/audio quality is noticeably better there, before IN 're-broadcasts' it behind their paywall in downgraded quality (with their horrible video player...)

Also, I believe the ISU JGP YouTube channel is pretty good about making available archived videos of the performances, even if not live.

gotoschool

Medalist
I hope it will be easier to see this competition since I don't live in the United States. Does anyone know if the performances will be uploaded to youtube quickly like they were last year in the Junior Grand Prix?

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Anyone hear anything further on the streaming of JGP Colorado Springs?

IceNetwork will be live-streaming this event -- do we know if the ISU JGP YouTube livestream will be geoblocked in the U.S.? (My assumption would be yes... :shrug: )

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... IceNetwork will be live-streaming this event -- do we know if the ISU JGP YouTube livestream will be geoblocked in the U.S.? (My assumption would be yes... :shrug: )

My speculation (and/or wishful thinking ;)) is that it will not be geo-blocked. My belief/hope is based on the following observations:

Today's USFS press release re JGP Colorado Springs says:
The event will stream live on icenetwork for Season Pass subscribers and via the ISU's YouTube page.
http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51370&type=media

The wording on IN itself re JGP Colorado Springs:
Season Pass subscribers will have access to live video of all three days of competition.
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/09/01/146680232

My guess (only my guess) is that if IN were the only way for those in the US to see streaming, both USFS and IN would have made a point of saying that the IN coverage in the US would be "exclusive."

For comparison, the USFS press release re the SLC Classic:
Icenetwork will provide complete event coverage of the U.S. International Classic. Exclusive streaming video of the U.S. International Classic will be available to subscribers ...
http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51325&type=media

Just my speculation.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks, golden411. Still seems a bit unclear, but I do think it would be strange for the ISU JGP YT channel to go to such lengths as to geo-block some of their content... (just the livestream? or all archives, too? and indefinitely?)

Though, I've rarely known IN to livestream an event that is readily available for free somewhere else, and use the event as a selling point for Season Pass subscribers? How many people would even use IN to watch the event, if they have knowledge and access to the free YouTube channel?

Oddly enough, Colorado Springs is listed under the blackout restrictions of IN:

http://web.icenetwork.com/help/blackout

Blackout Restrictions
During the 2015-16 season, all live and on-demand video will be available worldwide except the following:
Available in the United States and U.S. Territories* only:
2015 Junior Grand Prix - Colorado Springs (Sept. 2-5, 2015)

This tells me that Colorado Springs will be geoblocked by IceNetwork for Season Pass subscribers outside of the U.S. :shrug:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks, golden411. Still seems a bit unclear, but I do think it would be strange for the ISU JGP YT channel to go to such lengths as to geo-block some of their content... (just the livestream? or all archives, too? and indefinitely?)

Though, I've rarely known IN to livestream an event that is readily available for free somewhere else, and use the event as a selling point for Season Pass subscribers? How many people would even use IN to watch the event, if they have knowledge and access to the free YouTube channel?

Oddly enough, Colorado Springs is listed under the blackout restrictions of IN:

http://web.icenetwork.com/help/blackout

This tells me that Colorado Springs will be geoblocked by IceNetwork for Season Pass subscribers outside of the U.S. :shrug:

Agree that it is unclear -- very unclear. At this point, cannot and should not rule out the possibility of geoblocking.
I guess what I am saying is that for me, the lack of clarity gives me some degree of cautious :hopelessness: optimism.
(Don't know what to make of the blackout oddity :think:.)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If it's going to be on IceNetwork, do you think there will be too much commentary like in the senior GP, 4CC, Euros, Nationals, and Worlds?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
The quote from the USFS press release sounds the most promising, mentioning both IN & YouTube... :)

If it's going to be on IceNetwork, do you think there will be too much commentary like in the senior GP, 4CC, Euros, Nationals, and Worlds?

I would think if IN were planning on having 'guest' commentators, they would have communicated that somewhere -- golden411? ;)

Otherwise, my assumption would be that IN will just pipe in the main ISU feed, as they usually do. (With Ted Barton commentating again, I assume.)

IN airs a commentary-free stream of nearly all events during the season, including most GPs, 4CC, Euros, and Worlds. IN generally only has 'guest' commentary during certain events specific to the U.S. (Nationals, Skate America).

ice coverage

Record Breaker

... I would think if IN were planning on having 'guest' commentators, they would have communicated that somewhere -- golden411? ;)

Otherwise, my assumption would be that IN will just pipe in the main ISU feed, as they usually do. (With Ted Barton commentating again, I assume.)

IN airs a commentary-free stream of nearly all events during the season, including most GPs, 4CC, Euros, and Worlds. IN generally only has 'guest' commentary during certain events specific to the U.S. (Nationals, Skate America).

I agree with sabinfire that if IN were going to have its own commentators for Colorado Springs, that IN and/or USFS should be shouting from the rooftops to promote the added value, which would differentiate IN's product from the ISU's.
But IN and USFS have said nothing about commentary, AFAIK.

The following is nothing more than additional speculation of mine:
I do wonder whether it's possible that the ISU would not permit IN to use Ted Barton's commentary. Or whether it's possible that IN on its own would choose to strip it for some reason. (Not saying that Barton is a liability. I myself rather like him.)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All I hope is that the YouTube livestream will be opened to ANYONE. And that Barton does commentary. Doesn't show patriotism really if at all. Which makes it better for all of us.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
All I hope is that the YouTube livestream will be opened to ANYONE. And that Barton does commentary. Doesn't show patriotism really if at all. Which makes it better for all of us.
Yeah I do appreciate that Ted Barton is Canadian (he's an official employee and executive director of Skate Canada for British Columbia) but doesn't show very much national favoritism. Wish he commented during programs themselves, but his comments after are always very constructive and complimentary, which is what I would hope they would be for the juniors anyway!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yeah I do appreciate that Ted Barton is Canadian (he's an official employee and executive director of Skate Canada for British Columbia) but doesn't show very much national favoritism. Wish he commented during programs themselves, but his comments after are always very constructive and complimentary, which is what I would hope they would be for the juniors anyway!

aromatic, congrats on your selection as a USFS blogger :).

Agree that Ted Barton does a good job.
If you are looking for story ideas for your USFS blogging, how about interviewing him? Getting some behind-the-scenes anecdotes/color/etc. about what it's like to be the voice/face of ISUJuniorGrandPrix on YouTube.
We are fortunate that he brings a lot of great enthusiasm/knowledge to the job, but it also takes a lot of hard work/stamina/commitment. Would love to hear his thoughts on why the ISU streaming is such an important labor of love. (Takes him away from his Skate Canada BC/YT job and from his family for a good two months.)
Also would like to hear him talk about his deep background in the sport. He apparently had a big role in creating IJS, for example. Also has been a trailblazer for years in live streaming of figure skating, I believe.

I realize that you are blogging for USFS, and TB's day job is for a Skate Canada section -- but he is helping a lot of us get to know skaters from Team USA. Via not only his commentary, but also his ISU interviews, many of which have been with US skaters.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted Barton did commentary for the Challenge events last year. I wonder if he will be doing that again this year.

skfan

Final Flight
Please g*d let there be at least the ISU JGP channel with no commentary while the skater's still skating. This was the last bastion for me.

I absolutely hate hate hate hate hate commentary, and if icenetwork is going to add commentary to all the broadcasts then there is no reason to pay them, when I can just wait for Russian commentary vids to show up on youtube. At least I can't be made utterly nauseated by commentary I don't understand.

I truly, deeply, madly appreciate the fact that Ted Barton does not talk while the skater is skating. Thank you, Mr. Barton, for all your excellent work so far.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The quote from the USFS press release sounds the most promising, mentioning both IN & YouTube... :) ...

And a new sign of hope today:

The official USFS fanzone site has put up its page for #JGPColoradoSprings.
Links both to the ISU JGP channel and to IN are listed there under "Live video."

http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/uncategorized/jgpcoloradosprings-team-usa-competition-central/

Omg I would totally geek over that type of an opportunity. I will pitch it ;)

Great :). Hope an interview with Ted Barton will be forthcoming.

Last edited: