IceNetwork to stream JGP Colorado Springs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

IceNetwork to stream JGP Colorado Springs

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please g*d let there be at least the ISU JGP channel with no commentary while the skater's still skating. This was the last bastion for me.

I absolutely hate hate hate hate hate commentary, and if icenetwork is going to add commentary to all the broadcasts then there is no reason to pay them, when I can just wait for Russian commentary vids to show up on youtube. At least I can't be made utterly nauseated by commentary I don't understand.

I truly, deeply, madly appreciate the fact that Ted Barton does not talk while the skater is skating. Thank you, Mr. Barton, for all your excellent work so far.

That's what I do during the GP. I usually listen to videos or streams in Russian so I can focus on the skater and music since I don't understand Russian at all except when they say the names of the skaters.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah I do appreciate that Ted Barton is Canadian (he's an official employee and executive director of Skate Canada for British Columbia) but doesn't show very much national favoritism. Wish he commented during programs themselves, but his comments after are always very constructive and complimentary, which is what I would hope they would be for the juniors anyway!

Especially since puberty is the stage where awkward changes happens and self-esteem can be lowered due to "wanting to fit in." Which I fortunately didn't have too much problems with self-esteem.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Am I the only person on here who enjoys commentary?

It's just not as fun for me if I have to tell myself the skater did a triple loop or that the costume is ugly. It's much more enjoyable when somebody else does it for me :p

Also, I am a music nerd, and I always want to know what people are skating to, so it helps when somebody is commentating to say it.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
It's just not as fun for me if I have to tell myself the skater did a triple loop or that the costume is ugly. It's much more enjoyable when somebody else does it for me :p

Also, I am a music nerd, and I always want to know what people are skating to, so it helps when somebody is commentating to say it.

This information can (and often, is) printed on the on-screen graphics box when introducing a skater, usually along with other information, such as age, coaches, city, etc. I'd say at a minimum, I'd always prefer to see the coaches and music information there.

I appreciate commentary and lack of commentary, just depends. Sometimes when seeing a program for the first time, or seeing it performed perfectly, it's nice to have no commentary to just enjoy the sounds of the program without extraneous chatter to distract me.

Other times, it can be a bit monotonous to watch live-streams alone for hours on end... commentary can help entertain or engagement me a bit more. Nice to have the options, if possible.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I like the way Barton does it...commentary during the replays, but quiet during the actual skating. Other times, it just depends. Commentary can either enhance or detract from the performance...just depends if I like what I hear! I tend to think "less is more," but I do think it's helpful when commentators can give some insight to what a skater is doing, and the quality of their execution, particularly for those who are newer to skating.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like the way Barton does it...commentary during the replays, but quiet during the actual skating. Other times, it just depends. Commentary can either enhance or detract from the performance...just depends if I like what I hear! I tend to think "less is more," but I do think it's helpful when commentators can give some insight to what a skater is doing, and the quality of their execution, particularly for those who are newer to skating.

Yeah. Like during the 1st day of the team event of the Olympics, the NBC commentary gave me some facts to learn. The same day I became a fan of Yuzuru and the sport as a whole in a way. Well. The beginnings of it. But it was so helpful tbh.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
IN live-stream started with an intro by Ted Barton, but IN appears to be stripping his commentary out. Also, the IN live-stream is about 30 seconds ahead of the YouTube stream.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
IN live-stream started with an intro by Ted Barton, but IN appears to be stripping his commentary out. Also, the IN live-stream is about 30 seconds ahead of the YouTube stream.

The good news is that the ISU streaming is remaining free of geoblocking in the U.S. even though IN also has the streaming from Colorado Springs.

(I know that you know, sabinfire :). Adding this post to be crystal clear for anyone in the U.S. who feared the worst and just assumed that the ISU stream would be geoblocked for this comp.)

stryke

On the Ice
IN stream is noticeably lower quality against the YT one. Was hoping that would change this year. :frown:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
IN stream is noticeably lower quality against the YT one. Was hoping that would change this year. :frown:

IN's current video player can't compete with modern technologies, quality will always be an issue. (They even mess up the sound, somehow.)

However, the IN feed is nice to have so you can annoy people in the YouTube chat by calling out things that happen before YT shows it. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Possibility of some unique IN commentary for Colorado Springs?

@JohnCoughlinUSA
Happened upon my @icenetwork family at the #JGPColoradoSprings - I may pop in and give some thoughts on the Jr. Men and Pairs FS!10:53 AM - 4 Sep 2015
https://twitter.com/JohnCoughlinUSA/status/639858959956881408

My gut is that he prob. is not joking, esp. if (perhaps??) IN's viewership has been less than it would like??

And I'm sure that Coughlin always would be happy to get additional commentating experience.

Update:

LOL, turns out that instead of IN, John Coughlin ended up joining Ted Barton on the ISU channel for commentary on the Men's FS.

And Barton mentioned that Coughlin will be back with him on the ISU channel for commentary on the Pairs FS.​

Last edited:

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
That was fun to listen to! I enjoyed having John with Ted, agree with Ted himself that two commentators makes a more dynamic discussion, he seemed to enjoy it as well

Layback11

Record Breaker
I liked the two commentators thing! Maybe they should bring in some local ladies or dancers for the other events? It would be kind of fun if Mirai co-commentated...just an idea.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do too, I thought he was very good. I think having his perspective and technical knowledge helped my understanding of the jumps, etc. Hope he will be at other JGP events commenting along with Ted.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I do too, I thought he was very good. I think having his perspective and technical knowledge helped my understanding of the jumps, etc. Hope he will be at other JGP events commenting along with Ted.

Reality check (IMO):
I highly doubt that Coughlin will be added to the JGP production team for the remainder of this season -- mostly b/c it would cost money to add him to what I'm sure is as "lean" an operation as possible.
The travel costs alone -- flights, lodging, meals, etc. -- would not be insignificant. Not to mention compensating Coughlin for his time and expertise, if he were to join the traveling JGP circus.
The ISU lucked out that Coughlin is based in Colorado Springs and was attending the JGP there as a spectator anyway ... and based on his tweet above, was happy to jump in at the eleventh hour and offer some commentary.
In this case, wouldn't surprise me if he did so for free -- for a total of a few hours of his time. The final two groups of the Men's FS and the eight entries in the Pairs FS.
Very different from making a commitment to going on the road with Barton for the next month. (Esp. because Caydee and John will be performing on the Halloween on Ice tour, which starts in a few weeks. Presumably they need to be training for that.)

ETA, I see that Caydee and John are scheduled to hold a USFS outreach event in NYC this coming Friday.

But ... because Barton liked Coughlin and fans liked Coughlin, I do think it is a reasonable question whether the ISU would consider increasing its budget for next year's JGP coverage -- in order to add him for a full season then, if he would be interested.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you will take a look at the page views on the JGP, Barton is a success:

Ladies FS Colorado SP livestream over 40,000 views, as was Riga.

In 2014, approx. 20,000 was tops for any non gpf event, and that includes a year's worth of folks viewing after the fact.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If you will take a look at the page views on the JGP, Barton is a success:

Ladies FS Colorado SP livestream over 40,000 views, as was Riga.

In 2014, approx. 20,000 was tops for any non gpf event, and that includes a year's worth of folks viewing after the fact.

Barton gave the 2014 commentary also for the ISU JGP channel, IIRC?

In any case, glad to see that the YT views are up for this season.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Barton gave the 2014 commentary also for the ISU JGP channel, IIRC?

In any case, glad to see that the YT views are up for this season.

Ted Barton definitely did the commentary last year for the JGPs. I am not entirely sure he did every single event, though? There may have been one or two without commentary. I can't recall.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I mostly watched the separate performances last season because I had trouble with the stream freezing. Not so much this year.