2015 US Nationals Videos and Results and Discussions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Videos and Results and Discussions

magicrider

Rinkside
Thanks.

I paid for an Ice Network account this season, but after two competitions which I watched , they suddenly realized that I was a Canadian, and they could not show me their broadcast of videos. At least when I contacted them, they refunded my money, but I am still unhappy not to be able to follow various skating competitions using their service.Sigh. Thanks to all members who are willing to share the skates I cannot obtain through Ice Network.:)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks to all members who are willing to share the skates I cannot obtain through Ice Network.:)

You're welcome -- happy to provide the skating footage. It's odd that IceNetwork can sometimes make it so difficult for people to watch skating, despite the declining popularity of the sport.

I hope she competes in junions both internationally and nationally next year. She could be a great asset to US Junior team :)

Or a great asset to the Senior team too, maybe... :slink:

joeonice

Rinkside
Emily chan to me an actual novice skater skills and jumps , Novice ladies shouldn't be doing 3lutz n 3flip in competition (altho they should be practicing it for junior level) but I'm glad she won with 3toe and 3sal and she concentrated on the other aspects of figure skating congrats! She will make a fine Junior as long as ups the technical content

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Curious

what would Emily need to do at this point to move up and get some junior assignments?

- Pass her Junior Moves in the Field Test. She might have done so already, since you can have a higher level MitF test than what level you compete.
- Pass her Junior Freeskate test. Since she's still competing Novice, she either hasn't done this yet, or did it after the closing registration date for Regionals, since page 141 of the rulebook (http://www.usfsa.org/content/2014-15 Rulebook 08-14-14.pdf ) says that (unlike MitF) if you've completed X level Freeskate test prior to the registration closing, you can't compete at a level lower than X.
- Gain attention from USFSA. Well, winning Novice Nationals certainly has accomplished that, earning her a place in the Developmental Team envelope.
- Being monitored over the summer in some club comps could certainly help prove Nationals wasn't a fluke.

I can see her getting some JGP assignments next fall. Possibly even a Spring International this year, since the USFS calendar currently includes the Challenge Cup in the Netherlands and the Gardena Spring Trophy in Italy.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Or a great asset to the Senior team too, maybe... :slink:

Not sure about the senior team yet since her tech content isn't on par what we expect from the seniors. She does have the skating skills that can rival some of the top US skaters. So for me I would say that she's on the Karen Chen-level but with lower tech content for now.

Country
Russia
The triples, maybe? If I recall correctly she only did a 3sal and a 3t. I think I remember her jumping a 3Lo in a previous comp, but high chances I'm wrong.
Past Nationals Emily Chan had only one triple, 3S. And low GOE.
We see, she progresses. May be she will progress in future, and may as Sammi Cesario become interesting Senior being not so young.

Btw, Anna Shershak (Russia) at JGP-2011 Event was 2nd with only two triples (3T and 3S, including 3T+3T Combo).
http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgpita2011/
She was ahead Hannah Miller, So-Yun Park, Satoko Miyahara.
She was 13 years old, not 17.

I remember only one situation, when in Russia 17-years-old Lady competed as Junior at Nationals. Alena Leonova at JrNats-2008, she was there only to qualify to JrWorlds.
Normally in Russia 17-years-old Ladies compete as Seniors (and 11+ as Juniors), so 17-years-old Novice Lady at Nationals is very exotic for me.

joeonice

Rinkside
Does anybody have videos of the other novice or intermediate ladies short or long? Both if possible?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Thank you for the videos!! I liked Chan, but I have mixed feelings about a couple of aspects: there were a lot of cross-overs and most of them were not very elegant (even if that's quite normal for a Novice skater, I suppose), and she kept going fast and without interruptions even when the music stopped or slowed down (especially during the second half of the step sequence, that was really terrible :scowl: ). But overall, good job :clap:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Many thanks to sabinfire for everything, including the NBC preview shows:

I put up the entire NBC Preview coverage for Saturday, 1/17.

Here's the entire 43-minute broadcast (removed commercials, lowered video quality to make the file smaller):

NBC U.S. Nationals Preview show 1/17

Here's the entire NBC broadcast of Preview show #2, at exactly 40 minutes (with commercials removed), about 4 minutes shorter than yesterday's program:

NBC U.S. Nationals Preview #2 show 1/18 (720p HD)

mskater93

Record Breaker
- Pass her Junior Moves in the Field Test. She might have done so already, since you can have a higher level MitF test than what level you compete.
- Pass her Junior Freeskate test. Since she's still competing Novice, she either hasn't done this yet, or did it after the closing registration date for Regionals, since page 141 of the rulebook (http://www.usfsa.org/content/2014-15 Rulebook 08-14-14.pdf ) says that (unlike MitF) if you've completed X level Freeskate test prior to the registration closing, you can't compete at a level lower than X.

Actually, you can't test FS between the close date for Regionals and when your qualifying season is over or else you will bve ineligible to continue on in the qualifying structure, so she hasn't taken her Junior FS test yet

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Backstage tour of the Nats venues from Coach Tom Z and Drew Meekins:

Having never attended a competition, I enjoyed the backstage "you-are-there" peeks at the off-ice warm-up area and hospitality lounge, for instance.
(But YMMV. I can imagine that some would find this entire video skippable.)

Fun fact:
It is the 66th :shocked: year that coach Ron Ludington (Olympic and World medalist) :bow: is attending Nationals.​

KKonas

Medalist

Having never attended a competition, I enjoyed the backstage "you-are-there" peeks at the off-ice warm-up area and hospitality lounge, for instance.

Fun fact:
It is the 66th :shocked: year that coach Ron Ludington (Olympic and World medalist) :bow: is attending Nationals.​

Having attended 90+ national/international competitions, most backstage stuff (warm-ups, etc.) is pretty mundane. Most skaters/coaches don't like anyone disturbing them during warm-up.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Having attended 90+ national/international competitions, most backstage stuff (warm-ups, etc.) is pretty mundane. Most skaters/coaches don't like anyone disturbing them during warm-up.

Thus I warned above that YMMV and noted that some would find the entire video skippable.

Lucky you to have had backstage access to zillions of skating competitions. I have had access to exactly zero. Not every moment of the video was interesting to me, but some of them were.
I wasn't trying to waste your time or anyone else's.

I daresay that for all of us on GS, in each of our respective professions, some things that seem "old hat" to an insider might seem like novelties to outsiders.

In fact, one of the interesting things to me was that Tom Z made a point of lowering his voice to a whisper when stepping briefly into the warm-up area.

statmam

On the Ice
Thanks for sharing this glimpse "behind the curtain", golden411. I also appreciated the 2011 Greensboro highlight videos. Every Nationals has its moments, but one never knows ahead of time which performances will provide those moments.

Fun fact:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoyed this, the homemade feel gave me a real sense of the arena.

Thx, golden.:cheer2:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Emily chan to me an actual novice skater skills and jumps , Novice ladies shouldn't be doing 3lutz n 3flip in competition (altho they should be practicing it for junior level) but I'm glad she won with 3toe and 3sal and she concentrated on the other aspects of figure skating congrats! She will make a fine Junior as long as ups the technical content

She's a lovely skater! Certainly her jumps are novice level, but she has nice refinement in her arms and edges, nice musicality, and is already skating with decent speed. Her spins are pretty good too. I'm curious to see if she can do the bigger tricks, but it's already a good start.