2015 US Nationals Videos and Results and Discussions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Videos and Results and Discussions

KKonas

Medalist
Thus I warned above that YMMV and noted that some would find the entire video skippable.

Lucky you to have had backstage access to zillions of skating competitions. I have had access to exactly zero. Not every moment of the video was interesting to me, but some of them were.
I wasn't trying to waste your time or anyone else's.

I daresay that for all of us on GS, in each of our respective professions, some things that seem "old hat" to an insider might seem like novelties to outsiders.

In fact, one of the interesting things to me was that Tom Z made a point of lowering his voice to a whisper when stepping briefly into the warm-up area.

Not to take away your or anyone else's potential enjoyment of a backstage view, but most backstage workouts are not any different from any other - whether in US or anywhere else.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not to take away your or anyone else's potential enjoyment of a backstage view, but most backstage workouts are not any different from any other - whether in US or anywhere else.

I get it. If only li'l' ol' me had worked on the skating beat as you did for many years, then surely it would be obvious to me too how utterly unremarkable this video really is.
LOL, I am surprised that you of all people are so dismissive of knowing one's audience and of colorful storytelling. Your posts must have poor Roone rolling over in his grave. Whether the workouts are routine or not is totally beside the point.

I'm not saying the video is Oscar-worthy, but another moment that caught my attention:
For someone like me, who has never met Tom Z in person and to whom his swagger often seems apparent, it made me smile (with him, not at him, so to speak) that even a veteran coach/competitor like him was human enough to forget his credential. And the fact that he did not leave that little mental lapse on the cutting room floor earned him a few brownie points with me, and made me wonder whether I have underestimated his humility.​
And yet another moment I appreciated was TZ's prodding of Ludington to quantify his longevity in figure skating. IMO, it reflects very well on the sport that RL is in his seventh decade of attending (and hopefully loving) Nationals.

Fortunately for me, TZ and DM, unlike you, understand that small details (about all kinds of things, not only about themselves) can give someone like me a few tastes of the skating world that I will never experience firsthand.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Of course they're the same, that's why we want to see them. Slice of life. Or, for folks like me of a certain age, "up close and personal the ABC way". And why we enjoy the many links that Golden411 puts up for our viewing pleasure.

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
Me too! Can't believe she's considered a Novice. The I-spin at the end is very reminiscent of Lipnitskaia's (although Julia spins a little faster).

You had me at Julia spins :love:! I had no option but to go watch it. I really like her...Beautiful spins :biggrin:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Novice ladies shouldn't be doing 3lutz n 3flip in competition

Why not?

There are very few novice ladies who can do 3Lz and 3F. (A higher percentage of novice men, although of course there are far fewer novice men to begin with.)

For that reason I would certainly agree that novice ladies shouldn't be expected to do 3Lz or 3F. (Or really any triples at all, although there are enough who can that qualifying for Nationals without some is highly unlikely.)

But for the occasional skater who is better at jumping than basic skating, who is better at toe jumps than at edge jumps, or who is talented at both jumps and skating but only 11 or 12 years old, it's quite possible that 3F and/or 3Lz might be one of the best skills in her repertoire. Why shouldn't she get experience at a competition level best suited to her age and overall skill level, and why shouldn't she include her best skills?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was impressed by the quality of the skating I saw in the top three novice ladies. Maybe not the hardest tech content, but finished movements, musicality and spins were all there.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I was impressed by the quality of the skating I saw in the top three novice ladies. Maybe not the hardest tech content, but finished movements, musicality and spins were all there.

You aren't going to see the hardest tech content in Novice. That's part of the reason they aren't in Junior or Senior!! ;)

skatefan17

On the Ice
Does anyone know how to stream the Prudential championships online? I'd like to watch the ladies free skate :(

QLutz

On the Ice
is there a link for the nbc preview show for ladies/dance? i see someone uploaded the preview show for mens/pairs.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
is there a link for the nbc preview show for ladies/dance? i see someone uploaded the preview show for mens/pairs.

Did you look at the previous pages of this thread?
The links to both NBC preview shows are in post #28 on page 2.