The quad throw | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The quad throw

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Marie-Claude Savard-Gagnon and her partner, Luc Bradet were the first Pair Skaters to attempt the Quad Throw Salchow at the 1991 Nation’s Cup in Gelsenkirshen, Germany.

NaVi

Medalist
Thought about starting a new thread but I'll just bump up this old thread(and the quad twist thread).

When it comes to the debate on pair quads I'm firmly on the side of discouraging them because they're more risky, the women is less in control of them yet the one likely to be injured, and they make the discipline that's already has recruitment issues even more elitist. It would also further restrict the body types that elite pairs would need. I'm also not convinced that they are needed to "progress" the sport to differentiate top couples as I think it would be better to just add another jump pass whether throw or side by side.

The BV for pair quads was lowered after the 2016 Olympics and even before then many people thought they were undervalued for the difficulty. I'm mostly supportive of that devaluing. But now we have no one even thinking about doing them now. The way Duhamel/Radford and Kavaguti/Smirnov did not feel too unsafe to me.

But what if a successfully executed pairs quad counted as a GOE cushion or "insurance" on another element? That is, a successfully executed pairs quad would neutralize the negative GOE on one another element. For instance, if a pair pulls off a positive GOE quad twist and then one of them falls in the side by side jumps then the negative GOE for that jump element could be neutralized to zero. The GOE cushion would not provide any benefit if they go clean in the rest of their elements but would keep the pair in the hunt if one of their other elements had a major mistake.

I think doing this might make a pair or two think about trying quads without making others feel like they really need to go for them.