Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
In case you want to see they're (hilarious) Backstreet boy's Ex it's on the daily motion. With sound. I'd post the link but I'm on my mobile.

sarama

Medalist
Their exhibition is so good:rofl2:, although it makes me wonder.... I am a few years older than Quinn and barely remember Backstreet Boys to understand the reference, so how did they come up with this ex?:scratch2:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Their exhibition is so good:rofl2:, although it makes me wonder.... I am a few years older than Quinn and barely remember Backstreet Boys to understand the reference, so how did they come up with this ex?:scratch2:

I'm actually wondering too. I'm like 8 months older than Quinn. And I first heard about the Backstreet Boys through a special episode on the TV show "Arthur" (The one about the aardvark) where they guest voiced in when I was like 6 1/2. And that was actually close to around the same time where I first about Michelle Kwan cause she guest-voiced on a normal episode on Arthur.

But hey maybe they listen to the Backstreet Boys, who knows? I'm 20 and I was ALMOST 2 when Hanson became BIG and they've been my favorite band and artists since Friday, November 25, 2011 (Hence the "hanson" part in my username).

sarama

Medalist
I'm actually wondering too. I'm like 8 months older than Quinn. And I first heard about the Backstreet Boys through a special episode on the TV show "Arthur" (The one about the aardvark) where they guest voiced in when I was like 6 1/2. And that was actually close to around the same time where I first about Michelle Kwan cause she guest-voiced on a normal episode on Arthur.

But hey maybe they listen to the Backstreet Boys, who knows? I'm 20 and I was ALMOST 2 when Hanson became BIG and they've been my favorite band and artists since Friday, November 25, 2011 (Hence the "hanson" part in my username).
Honestly what puzzles me isn't the music choice per se but the whole late '90s early '00s theme... I feel like they are too young to remember/ have lived that kind of "pop culture" and yet those years aren't so far away in time to be considered "vintage"... I mean my sister is a bit younger than Lorraine and I am sure she wouldn't get the exhibition, but probably would if the song was by (for example) One Direction. Anyway I loved it! They do awkward better than anybody else. I hope next season they do a quirky program again like their SD! (Which was probably one of the best of the season...original and yet appropriate)

Spinning

On the Ice

Some influence from family members, maybe? One of my teenage cousin has a very impressive collections in her IPod backdated to the 90s. Since her mom has been working for the music labels, she basically grew up watching MTV and not Sesame Street.

deetrakt

Rinkside
I remember from their IceNetwork bios that Lorraine is a fan of "oldies" from the 60's, 70's and 80's, enjoying listening and singing along to hits from those decades. So the Backstreet Boys are pretty recent for her.

(I also recall that Quinn has been a vegetarian his entire life and was home-schooled throughout until he started college!)

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Maybe they have siblings who do too--I'm 25 and although I didn't listen to them, I well remember the Backstreet Boys craze in my pre-teen years. It was huge. If Quinn was 7 or 8 (Lorraine would be a bit young I guess) and his older siblings were all listening to it, that might explain some of it. Or cousins. Or friends' siblings.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe they have siblings who do too--I'm 25 and although I didn't listen to them, I well remember the Backstreet Boys craze in my pre-teen years. It was huge. If Quinn was 7 or 8 (Lorraine would be a bit young I guess) and his older siblings were all listening to it, that might explain some of it. Or cousins. Or friends' siblings.

Haha. True. Cause on their website, Lorraine did say she has an older sister.

In my case, it was a long story how I became a fan of Hanson.

Alex D

Record Breaker
^ I enjoy reading this guy's analysis a lot. And it's not because I tend to agree with him ;)

Thank you ;)

As for the Backstreet Boys,

I remember very well what these did to my girlfriend and how I had to attend their concerts, full of screaming and crazy girls, that only saw me as someone who can lift them up, so they could take pictures, or bring them water... Lot´s of them did tend to collapse due dehydration, ya...

From my point of view, Lorraine and Quinn did that time justice with their Ex. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Wait, if they do seniors next year, are they guaranteed a senior GP assignment?

Shouldn't they be assigned two? I'm pretty sure they'll get skate America host pick.

The Junior World Champions from the past two seasons, Hawayek & Baker and Yanovskaya & Mozgov, both had two non-host GP assignments during the year after they won Junior Worlds. There are no guarantees, but I am hopeful M&C may get the same. (This would be best for U.S. dance because we have a lot of teams that could use the host spots at SA). If M&C do receive two non-host invitations, they will likely be in tough locations. Thus is the reality of moving up out of juniors. It's like going from your senior year in high school to your freshman year in college. From the top of one system to the bottom of another. There are a LOT of U.S. dance teams chasing Grand Prix placements right now and a very limited number of non-host and non-seeded GP placements available in dance. So we will have to see. M&C are going to finish higher on the season's best list than the Parsons, Hawayek & Baker, and Cannuscio & McManus--which is good for consideration on the Grand Prix. However, according to a recent projection I read, M&C will also likely be placed in a lower tier (along with H&B) than C&M in the USA criteria for funding. Essentially, there is no clear way of ranking where M&C stand in comparison to the other senior U.S. teams. Just as there is no clear criteria for non-seeded GP invitations. So . . . we wait & see.

Oh! And BRAVO on winning Junior Worlds. I just love their performances. For me, they always bring something special to the ice. I saw them for the first time live at the 2014 U.S. Junior Nationals, and I immediately connected with the unique quality within their programs. Thrilled to see that quality recognized on a world level!

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember from their IceNetwork bios that Lorraine is a fan of "oldies" from the 60's, 70's and 80's, enjoying listening and singing along to hits from those decades. So the Backstreet Boys are pretty recent for her.

(I also recall that Quinn has been a vegetarian his entire life and was home-schooled throughout until he started college!)

I'm reminded of how my son and his friends were surprised that I even knew who AC/DC were, and completely fell out when I could name their best songs.

Everything old is new again. Some of the time.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmmmmmm. No GP assignment. Does that mean they're staying in juniors? If so, it's a bit...I don't what word to say....cause look we KNOW they're capable of a LOT. But there are going to be risks no matter if they skate this year or next year in seniors. I wished they could show what they're capable of.

Spiral

Final Flight
Hmmmmmm. No GP assignment. Does that mean they're staying in juniors? If so, it's a bit...I don't what word to say....cause look we KNOW they're capable of a LOT. But there are going to be risks no matter if they skate this year or next year in seniors. I wished they could show what they're capable of.

I assume they're staying in juniors, because as winners of Jr. Worlds they would have had a right to two GP assignments. As to their strategy, I think ID in the US is the most competitive of all countries right now, what with at least five excellent teams. Maybe they're hoping that Chock/Bates and Shibutani will retire after the Olympics if they do well there, and it will get easier to get ahead, both nationally and internationally. I mean, look what happened to Hawayek/Baker who were brilliant in juniors and continue being so, but after a medal at NHK in their first senior season they haven't been able to get ahead much. The same happened to Yanovskaya/Mozgov who'd had much success in juniors. Or maybe Lorraine and Quinn think they need another year in juniors to mature more to make more of a splash in seniors. Or could it be a matter of funding? Do American skaters on the main junior team get more funding than the seniors on team C?

tulosai

Record Breaker
I assume they're staying in juniors, because as winners of Jr. Worlds they would have had a right to two GP assignments. As to their strategy, I think ID in the US is the most competitive of all countries right now, what with at least five excellent teams. Maybe they're hoping that Chock/Bates and Shibutani will retire after the Olympics if they do well there, and it will get easier to get ahead, both nationally and internationally. I mean, look what happened to Hawayek/Baker who were brilliant in juniors and continue being so, but after a medal at NHK in their first senior season they haven't been able to get ahead much. The same happened to Yanovskaya/Mozgov who'd had much success in juniors. Or maybe Lorraine and Quinn think they need another year in juniors to mature more to make more of a splash in seniors. Or could it be a matter of funding? Do American skaters on the main junior team get more funding than the seniors on team C?

Maybe, but since they have to move up next year anyway it's unclear what they're waiting for... I truly think they would have been best served by trying to begin positioning themselves as seniors this year. As H/B's struggles show it can take a few years, and furthermore they should honestly have as an aim to overtake H/B ASAP anyway.

Layback11

Record Breaker
In case you want to see they're (hilarious) Backstreet boy's Ex it's on the daily motion. With sound. I'd post the link but I'm on my mobile.

:laugh2: :rofl:

That is incredible. Lorraine has an unparalleled gift for playing over-the-top characters :biggrin:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I honestly wish they let us know what they're doing and their reason. I mean I love their style and what they do, but this is confusing.