Entries for 2015 Copernicus Stars | Golden Skate

Entries for 2015 Copernicus Stars

charmblade

Final Flight
Liu/Johnson have a spot, I hope this means they are on the road back from whatever injury they were facing. Also, the dance team from Great Britain is Fear/Payne. :laugh: I hope they teamed up just so they'd have the best team name EVER.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
A match-up with Sima and Polina here

that's gonna be fun

I am more interested on how Sima's jumps are faring though. I am also wondering whether Polina will also start to 'tano her jumps for the GOEs....

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
A match-up with Sima and Polina here

that's gonna be fun

I am more interested on how Sima's jumps are faring though. I am also wondering whether Polina will also start to 'tano her jumps for the GOEs....
I hope not. She should be getting enough GOE bonuses for at least some of her jumps already because she has such a great delay in rotation and better height and flow coming out of them and going into them than Serafima.... Polina needs to work on her skating skills to compete with Sima, her jumps should be strong enough.

oleada

Record Breaker
The men's competition looks great! Yamamoto, Sadovsy, Gumenik, Vassiliejs, Krasnozhon, and my new fave Shimada!

Layback11

Record Breaker
Liu/Johnson have a spot, I hope this means they are on the road back from whatever injury they were facing. Also, the dance team from Great Britain is Fear/Payne. :laugh: I hope they teamed up just so they'd have the best team name EVER.

Oh my gosh, that is the greatest thing ever :laugh2:

I kind of hope they will someday work at Walgreens in vaccinations, and one day I will run into them getting a flu shot or something. Possible career path? :laugh:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Also, haven't there been, like, four JGPs that Sima has been assigned to? Are they moving her around or what?

Also, it makes very little sense to me that Russia is sending their (probably) top two skaters to the same event. Yes, they'll probably both make the final anyway, but it also greatly narrows the chances of a medal for a lot of deserving non-Russians. There are at least five girls who might have medal potential in this but probably won't get one because Sima and Polina are in it, and they're nearly unbeatable (except by each other). That's only one spot on the podium for three or four equally deserving girls who only have either a 25% or 33 1/3% chance of getting it (depending on the final lineup).

On the bright side, great to see Liu/Johnson back in it! :clap:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I'm still assuming that Sima's getting moved out her JGPs. Men sounds interesting, and ladies is going to be awesome regardless of who ends up there, probably...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The men's competition looks great! Yamamoto, Sadovsy, Gumenik, Vassiliejs, Krasnozhon, and my new fave Shimada!

Yeah...Sota and Roman seem like obvious podium picks, but the third? I'd love to see Deniss make the final this year...

Also very happy to see Irakli Maysuradze on the list! :cheer:

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, haven't there been, like, four JGPs that Sima has been assigned to? Are they moving her around or what?

No, Sima is only assigned 2. JGP #4 with Sotskova and #5 with Polina. Hopefully there will be some movements with these assignments.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also note that in pairs, Anastasia GUBANOVA / Alexei SINTSOV have been assigned to USA, AUT and POL :rolleye:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Also, it makes very little sense to me that Russia is sending their (probably) top two skaters to the same event. Yes, they'll probably both make the final anyway, but it also greatly narrows the chances of a medal for a lot of deserving non-Russians. There are at least five girls who might have medal potential in this but probably won't get one because Sima and Polina are in it, and they're nearly unbeatable (except by each other). That's only one spot on the podium for three or four equally deserving girls who only have either a 25% or 33 1/3% chance of getting it (depending on the final lineup).
thats why i find men more exciting , esp for juniors, there are more poduim possibilities :biggrin:
Yeah...Sota and Roman seem like obvious podium picks, but the third? I'd love to see Deniss make the final this year...

Also very happy to see Irakli Maysuradze on the list! :cheer:
i am happy to see him too and his awesome 3A :love: many possibilites for bronze but i would bet on Deniss :biggrin:

i said that before but i think 6 spots for JGPF isnt enough for juniors :hopelessness: i wish they had more like they used to

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
i said that before but i think 6 spots for JGPF isnt enough for juniors :hopelessness: i wish they had more like they used to
I agree 100%. There are so many talented Juniors. I checked on wiki and I think 8 spots were reasonable. Why did they changed it?

Layback11

Record Breaker
I agree 100%. There are so many talented Juniors. I checked on wiki and I think 8 spots were reasonable. Why did they changed it?

Probably to make it harder, so the kids would have to up their technical content. :rolleye: It's ridiculous. The few juniors with really good presentation often don't have great technical skills (most prominently jumps), so it ends up being the best jumpers (provided their spins and steps get at least a level 2, their jumps are usually enough) who win everything. But...I suppose they want skating to be more sport than art. I heard there's a new ISU president coming in soon-whoever it is, maybe they can fix the JGPF debacle? :yes:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Would be nice :) I see no benefits from making children competition blood fight resulting injuries and other health issues.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
More than 6 skaters/teams would mean a second group would be needed... that's another 6 minute warmup on top of the extra skaters' performance times.

That would delay officials getting to their champagne and lobster dinners by far too long, and is obviously unnacceptable.

(In the same way that 60 seconds was too long, for skaters to begin their performance after their name was called. It had to be reduced to 30 seconds so officials could get to their jollies a few minutes sooner...)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It sounds so.... possible :bang: If it really is like that, then it's very sad...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

They changed it:

1. to make it the same as the GPF
2. to cut back on the number of flights needed
3. to make less work for the judges

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
That would delay officials getting to their champagne and lobster dinners by far too long, and is obviously unnacceptable.

(In the same way that 60 seconds was too long, for skaters to begin their performance after their name was called. It had to be reduced to 30 seconds so officials could get to their jollies a few minutes sooner...)

:biggrin:

:agree:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Does anyone know why this is called Copernicus Stars (besides the fact that Copernicus was Polish)? It doesn't really have much to do with skating...

For comparison: it would be about as relevant to rename the Spain event the Picasso Cup or the Austria event the Mozart Trophy...it makes no sense to me. Could somebody please explain that? :confused:

Last edited: