Entries for 2015 Copernicus Stars | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Entries for 2015 Copernicus Stars

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They could have called it the Radiant Marie for Marie Sklodowska Curie---who won two Nobel Prizes for her research on radioactivity. :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
They could have called it the Radiant Marie for Marie Sklodowska Curie---who won two Nobel Prizes for her research on radioactivity. :biggrin:

My favorite post EVER from you, chuckm :cool: :) :yay:.

... For comparison: it would be about as relevant to rename the Spain event the Picasso Cup or the Austria event the Mozart Trophy...it makes no sense to me. Could somebody please explain that? :confused:

But Austria does have an annual ISU-sanctioned ice skating comp called Mozart Cup. (For synchro.)

My hunch is that aside from its historical/national/scientific significance, the Copernicus name has something to do with a sponsorship.

Also seemingly not-so-relevant to skating: HHilton, Prudential, Eric Bompard (as in TEB), blah, blah, blah.

But no worse than the many corporate names plastered all over events and venues for sports other than figure skating.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It's because he is the most famous person born in Toruń. In Poland the first two things, when you think of Toruń, is Copernicus & this :biggrin:

Maria Skłodowska-Curie has no connection at all (she was born in Warsaw).

Never thought someone would care how competition is called.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's because he is the most famous person born in Toruń. In Poland the first two things, when you think of Toruń, is Copernicus & this :biggrin:

Maria Skłodowska-Curie has no connection at all (she was born in Warsaw).

Never thought someone would care how competition is called.

Thanks for the correct explanation, cathlen :) -- which I like much better than my incorrect hunch.

Sorry that it did not occur to me that the connection was something specific to Torun. (I had seen one of the official JGP hotels is called Copernicus, but the light bulb still did not go off in my brain :hopelessness:.)

[I still will hold out hope that the next JGP Warsaw is named after Madame Curie :cool:.]

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
[I still will hold out hope that the next JGP Warsaw is named after Madame Curie :cool:.]

That would be really cool since she was one awesome lady :cool: Though, I'm afraid the organizers are not that creative. But did you meant Warsaw Cup? The only other polish JGP was in Gdańsk, IIRC.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... But did you meant Warsaw Cup? The only other polish JGP was in Gdańsk, IIRC.

I was just making an impromptu casual comment off the top of my head ... without knowing :hopelessness: whether Warsaw ever had hosted or ever will host a JGP.

But if Warsaw Cup wants to rename itself Madame Curie Cup ;), I would be just as pleased :). A Challenger event would be very cool :cool:.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, No! You must not forget the Sklodowska! Marie always referred to herself as Marie Sklodowska Curie!!!

BTW my mom was born in Poland

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Learning so many new things from this thread :yes::

(1)
It's because he is the most famous person born in Toruń. In Poland the first two things, when you think of Toruń, is Copernicus & this :biggrin: ...

Thx for the mouth-watering photo. Sorry that I had not clicked on it earlier. Hope that the visiting skaters will get to taste the signature treats of Torun.

(Just curious: Is the dark layer of filling made of chocolate or fruit?? I can imagine that either would go well with gingerbread. Yum.)

(2)
No, No! You must not forget the Sklodowska! Marie always referred to herself as Marie Sklodowska Curie!!! ...

Had never known it before ... but thanks to you, now I never will forget ;).

(3)
...BTW my mom was born in Poland

:cool: Thus your authoritative knowledge :yay:.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Thx for the mouth-watering photo. Sorry that I had not clicked on it earlier. Hope that the visiting skaters will get to taste the signature treats of Torun.

(Just curious: Is the dark layer of filling made of chocolate or fruit?? I can imagine that either would go well with gingerbread. Yum.)

Marmalade. And yes, it's very yummy :biggrin: I also hope that people in charge have thought of that. Food is always a very nice way to promote a town ;)

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Has anybody noticed Sakhanovich is no longer on the entries list. Not even as a sub. So this basically leaves her with 1 assignment and no chance of final, unless she replaces Proklova in the last 2 events. Has anyone heard about and injury or something?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anybody noticed Sakhanovich is no longer on the entries list. Not even as a sub. So this basically leaves her with 1 assignment and no chance of final, unless she replaces Proklova in the last 2 events. Has anyone heard about and injury or something?

She can't be a sub to an event she was replaced in. She is going to Croatia and is a sub for Spain and has repeatedly said on her ask.fm page that she has been scheduled for Spain/Croatia all along and does not know who she will be attending those events with. At least that's the impression I got from Google translation :laugh: But she has said about 3/4 times she is scheduled for JGP 6/7.

Last edited:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
She can't be a sub to an event she was replaced in. She is going to Croatia and is a sub for Spain and has repeatedly said on her ask.fm page that she has been scheduled for Spain/Croatia all along and does not know who she will be attending those events with.

Cool good to hear that. So I guess Mitrofanova will get the axe for Spain.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
#1 from Colorado Springs vs. #1 from Riga
McNamara & Carpenter vs. Popova & Vlasenko are now scheduled to meet up here :).

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm so excited! I hope McNamara/Carpenter do well enough to secure a spot in the JGPF!

I hope they do well enough to declare themselves as favorites. If they can top Popova & Vlasenko here, that will theoretically put them above everyone in the field. (Since M&C outscored the Parsons at Lake Placid, the Parsons defeated L&D in Bratislava, and either M&C, P&V, or L&D have defeated everyone else that has competed thus far. I would add an asterisk to that, though, as the Parsons didn't skate head-to-head with M&C. And L&D split dances with the Parsons, then skated more cleanly at their last event).

On the other hand, if M&C come out behind P&V here, it will be an uphill battle to win the final. Though both teams should qualify here. Even a third place, I think, would do it.

I have to say, though, that I'm really impressed with how the American dance teams this season are coming out ready to battle their serious international competition early. We'll see if this holds true, but for now the Shibs and Chock & Bates are still on the entry lists for senior B's that other teams have pulled out of. Hubbell & Donahue are scheduled for their second and third--or is it third & fourth--pre-GP competition. And the Parsons already went up against L&D.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope they do well enough to declare themselves as favorites. If they can top Popova & Vlasenko here, that will theoretically put them above everyone in the field. (Since M&C outscored the Parsons at Lake Placid, the Parsons defeated L&D in Bratislava, and either M&C, P&V, or L&D have defeated everyone else that has competed thus far. I would add an asterisk to that, though, as the Parsons didn't skate head-to-head with M&C. And L&D split dances with the Parsons, then skated more cleanly at their last event).

On the other hand, if M&C come out behind P&V here, it will be an uphill battle to win the final. Though both teams should qualify here. Even a third place, I think, would do it.

I have to say, though, that I'm really impressed with how the American dance teams this season are coming out ready to battle their serious international competition early. We'll see if this holds true, but for now the Shibs and Chock & Bates are still on the entry lists for senior B's that other teams have pulled out of. Hubbell & Donahue are scheduled for their second and third--or is it third & fourth--pre-GP competition. And the Parsons already went up against L&D.

Me too. Like the score that McNamara/Carpenter scored is equal to average for senior events. Which I think is pretty darn good if you ask me. Like I can imagine them being frontrunners once they reach seniors. Same with the Parsons.