2015 JGP Colorado Springs Pairs SP Sep 3 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP Colorado Springs Pairs SP Sep 3

MJfan

Rinkside
I am so excited for the Korean team! I've been a fan of Yeri Kim since last yr when she won a silver medal behind Yuna Aoki(JPN) at the Asian Trophy. She's such a great jumper! Good luck to everyone!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's nothing. Give Yulia's middle name a go.

Yulia Vyacheslavovna Lipnitskaya

I love Russian names and since I've been studying the language more I'm starting to really enjoy the spoken language.

I'm going to try to pronounce it. *clears throat in preparation* VeeYAH-shell-ahh-vohv-nah ???????????

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Speaking of Korean, I really enjoyed Kim/Kam. I hope they keep up the hard work and improvement and earn a spot at the Olympics. It was so charming the way their training mates cheered for them. I think I saw Max Settlage standing up, too. He's the best.

Yes, Max Settlage :) was another one of the Sappenfield skaters in attendance. John Coughlin too.

Congratulations to Kim/Kam.
I was tickled to learn [from Ted Barton] that Richard Kam and Alex are brothers.
Loved the Whiplash music.

Oh. My apologies. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's just very difficult to pronounce.

As for difficulty or lack thereof, depends on whom you ask.

Vladislav is easy and intuitive for a Russian speaker to pronounce.

English is full of pitfalls when it comes to pronunciations.
A non-native speaker could not be blamed for thinking that Sean rhymes with Dean, for example.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, Max Settlage :) was another one of the Sappenfield skaters in attendance. John Coughlin too.

Congratulations to Kim/Kam.
I was tickled to learn [from Ted Barton], that Richard Kam and he are brothers.
Loved the Whiplash music.

A non-native speaker could not be blamed for thinking that Sean rhymes with Dean, for example.

Exactly! I'm a native English speaker and I thought so too at first. Still doesn't make sense.

The word I think is the most confusing in the English Language is Colonel. IT SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE HOW IT SHOULD BASED ON THE LETTERS! There is clearly no "R" in the word so WHY is there an "R" sound in it?! Makes NO SENSE.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly! I'm a native English speaker and I thought so too at first. Still doesn't make sense.

The word I think is the most confusing in the English Language is Colonel. IT SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE HOW IT SHOULD BASED ON THE LETTERS! There is clearly no "R" in the word so WHY is there an "R" sound in it?! Makes NO SENSE.

In fact there are so many things of pronunciation in the English language or nicknames to proper first names that don't make sense to me. Like Bill for William. I do NOT see a "B" in William.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Great example, CKH :agree:.

In fact there are so many things of pronunciation in the English language or nicknames to proper first names that don't make sense to me. Like Bill for William. I do NOT see a "B" in William.

Also true :).

No matter what their native language, announcers have their work cut out for them.

Layback11

Record Breaker

Actually, I think the exact same thing :laugh2:

oleada

Record Breaker
I'm not a native English speaker (grew up speaking Spanish) and I agree that English is super nonintuitive. Vocals have several sounds and spelling never goes along with how a word sounds. So basically, the complete opposite of Spanish. Even though I've been learning English for 20+ years, I still usually get the pronunciation of strange words wrong. My brain automatically goes to Spanish - pronounce as you see.

I don't speak Russian but Vladislav doesn't seem that complicated. I'm sure I'd get he accent wrong, but it's pronounced as written, yes?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Watched the Pairs SP yesterday morning, but only got round to reading the last couple of pages of this thread this morning.

Just a wee note to add that "Sean" (more properly "Seán") is not actually an English name. It has been borrowed from Irish. And if you want a language where it is hard to work out how to pronounce words from the way they are spelt, then Irish is the perfect example! :laugh:

I should add, although I do know a few words, I don't speak Irish!

When I was growing up, the historical drama "Sharpe" was on ITV on Sunday nights. And the title character was played by a guy called Sean Bean. And for years I thought that his name was funny, because it rhymed. Then I found out that it didn't. And it was a huge disappointment! :disapp:

The way to remember it is that "Seán" is the Irish equivalent of the English name "John", and that the two names rhyme with each other ("Shawn").

However, this theory does not work for all Irish names and their English equivalents. In fact, I would go as far as to say that "Seán / John" is the exception rather than the rule. For example, "Séamus" is the Irish equivalent of the English name "James". But they are not pronounced anything like each other ("Shaymus").

Then there is the added complication of regional variations. Returning to "Seán", and in some parts of Northern Ireland, it is pronounced "Shaan" rather than "Shawn".

So, now that I have succeeded in thoroughly confusing you all, I'll go and watch the Short Dance...

CaroLiza_fan

P.S. I agree full heartedly with cheerknithanson and Layback11 about "Colonel"! I have absolutely no idea for the reasons behind that spelling / pronounciation combination! :confused:

YoenNL

Rinkside
Yes. it is supposed to be a Loop lift take-off, and as they started to rotate clockwise, the take-off was from the wrong foot (right in stead of left) which according to the Technical Handbook leads to a no level.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Watched the Pairs SP yesterday morning, but only got round to reading the last couple of pages of this thread this morning.

Just a wee note to add that "Sean" (more properly "Seán") is not actually an English name. It has been borrowed from Irish. And if you want a language where it is hard to work out how to pronounce words from the way they are spelt, then Irish is the perfect example! :laugh:

I should add, although I do know a few words, I don't speak Irish!

When I was growing up, the historical drama "Sharpe" was on ITV on Sunday nights. And the title character was played by a guy called Sean Bean. And for years I thought that his name was funny, because it rhymed. Then I found out that it didn't. And it was a huge disappointment!

The way to remember it is that "Seán" is the Irish equivalent of the English name "John", and that the two names rhyme with each other ("Shawn").

However, this theory does not work for all Irish names and their English equivalents. In fact, I would go as far as to say that "Seán / John" is the exception rather than the rule. For example, "Séamus" is the Irish equivalent of the English name "James". But they are not pronounced anything like each other ("Shaymus").

Then there is the added complication of regional variations. Returning to "Seán", and in some parts of Northern Ireland, it is pronounced "Shaan" rather than "Shawn".

So, now that I have succeeded in thoroughly confusing you all, I'll go and watch the Short Dance...

CaroLiza_fan

P.S. I agree full heartedly with cheerknithanson and Layback11 about "Colonel"! I have absolutely no idea for the reasons behind that spelling / pronounciation combination! :confused:
wow thanks a lot!:thumbsup: that was educational! (& with a good example of Sean Bean!:love:)

Whiplash love in here!:cheer2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Just a wee note to add that "Sean" (more properly "Seán") is not actually an English name. It has been borrowed from Irish. ...

Thx, CL_fan :).
Don't disagree with you, but I would say that most native speakers of American English probably are familiar with the name Sean and how to pronounce it, although its origin is Irish. Same goes for Juan, although its origin is Spanish.

Since you (and I :)) like obscure facts, some data for US babies:
In the decade 2000-2009, Sean was a more popular name for newborns than (for example): Jeffrey, Peter, Paul, Jeremy, Richard, Timothy, Grant, ...
In the decade 1990-1999, Sean was more popular than: Jason, Evan, Scott, Frank, Douglas, ...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thx, CL_fan :).
Don't disagree with you, but I would say that most native speakers of American English probably are familiar with the name Sean and how to pronounce it, although its origin is Irish. Same goes for Juan, although its origin is Spanish.

Oh, don't worry, Golden. I realise that Irish names are very popular in America, and so most people over there would know how to pronounce them. It was because there were people from other countries involved in that conversation that I decided to add that caveat to your comment! ;)

Since you (and I :)) like obscure facts, some data for US babies:
In the decade 2000-2009, Sean was a more popular name for newborns than (for example): Jeffrey, Peter, Paul, Jeremy, Richard, Timothy, Grant, ...
In the decade 1990-1999, Sean was more popular than: Jason, Evan, Scott, Frank, Douglas, ...

Cool! :cool: It is fascinating to see how the popularity of names changes. And to see that some names that you think would be high are not as popular as you expected! (And vice versa!)

My name (which, incidentally, is a Scottish name) isn't on the list for either decade... :cry:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh, don't worry, Golden. I realise that Irish names are very popular in America, and so most people over there would know how to pronounce them. It was because there were people from other countries involved in that conversation that I decided to add that caveat to your comment! ;)

Cool! :cool: It is fascinating to see how the popularity of names changes. And to see that some names that you think would be high are not as popular as you expected! (And vice versa!)

My name (which, incidentally, is a Scottish name) isn't on the list for either decade... :cry:

CaroLiza_fan

When Sinead O'Connor first hit it big in America, I used to laugh because most people pronounced it Sin--e--add. Nothing in Gaelic really sounds like you think it would from the spelling.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes. it is supposed to be a Loop lift take-off, and as they started to rotate clockwise, the take-off was from the wrong foot (right in stead of left) which according to the Technical Handbook leads to a no level.

YoenNL, thanks for telling us, and welcome to Golden Skate!