2015 JGP Colorado Springs Free Dance Sep 5 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP Colorado Springs Free Dance Sep 5

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I haven't heard anything about the Parsons going senior next year. If they don't have to I would, if I was their coach, advise against it. Why not get the experience of being a top dog before you age up to where you will be middle of the pack? YMMV of course.

I believe Michael will turn 21 in March; that would age him out juniors, so they would have to move up. They do run the risk of being the middle of the pack at the national level. However, it depends what your goals are. I see that things could open up greatly post-2018. So the Parsons could just focus on solid placements in the GP and elsewhere.

The Shibutanis, for example, benefited from a pretty depleted field post 2010 Olympics. Bates and Samuelson were out due to injury (and later break up) and Belbin/Agosto retired.

I don't think the field will be as depleted post-2018 but I think the bottleneck would be loosened up somewhat. The only top team I see post-2018 is Hawayek and Baker, but who knows.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michael Parsons was born October 3rd, 1995 - he will turn 20 next month, so he will still be junior-eligible next year.
Remember, ISU shows dates the European way: DD/MM/YY, while the US norm is MM/DD/YY

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Lol. I always for get they do it differently. Thanks for the clarification Chuckm.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This Carmen is not en par with Y&M's FD last season. Score is ridiculous. Both's SS are not remarkable and they rely on power strokes and OTT drama. But I think this team will probably win JWC this year.

Mozgov suffered an injury during the JGP last fall; their FD wasn't at its best at the time. Their JGP FD scores: 92.44, 88.55. Their SD scores were 59.56 and 56.79; total scores 152 and 145.34. They scored 59.12 and 89.46 at the final in Barcelona.

He had recovered by JW in Estonia and they scored 62.22 and 93.70 for a total 155.92.

Of course, the WJC will be in Hungary, so perhaps the scores won't be nearly so high if the champion is from the US.

BTW, you say M/C's SS are "not remarkable" yet at JW 2015, their SS were second only to Y/M in both SD and FD.

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
And sorry Snow, but why is Russian Ice Dance stuck in the early 90s? It's so obvious that the technical ability is first rate, but the programs tend to be histrionic, with tacky costumes and atrocious music. What is this veritable obsession with adding trashy, souped up dance beats and/or overproduced vocals to everything? It's all so predictably overwrought that it has become downright boring.

I'm not going to say anything about music, not only Russian teams are doing it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I prefer to think it works more often than not :biggrin: You think the other way, and it's okay. Apples and oranges, you know?
About Russian Ice Dance stuck in 90s: well, there's some truth in this statement. Russian style always was to show more drama and theater, of course there was and is some exceptions, but still. I don't know about the reasons of that, I'm not following the sport that very long. And then again, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Will this ever change? I think it will, when Russian teams will be out of podium for a couple of Olympics.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia used to dominate in Ice Dance, but that was back in the 90s and earlier. In the 92, 94 and 98 Olympics, Russian teams won two of the three medals, including the gold each time. Maybe that is why Russian Ice dance style is stuck in the 90s: because that was so successful.

But things changed and in the 02 Olympics, a French team won and an Italian team was third, with a Russian team 2nd.
In 06, the Russians were back on top, but for the first time, a US team was on the podium in 2nd, with a Ukrainian team 3rd. Then came the NA surge in 2010 and 2014, with two NA teams in 1st and 2nd and a Russian team 3rd.

Meanwhile, no Russian team has been on the World podium for the last two years. It seems as if the 90s style really is out of date.

madison

Record Breaker
Russia used to dominate in Ice Dance, but that was back in the 90s and earlier. In the 92, 94 and 98 Olympics, Russian teams won two of the three medals, including the gold each time. Maybe that is why Russian Ice dance style is stuck in the 90s: because that was so successful.

But things changed and in the 02 Olympics, a French team won and an Italian team was third, with a Russian team 2nd.
In 06, the Russians were back on top, but for the first time, a US team was on the podium in 2nd, with a Ukrainian team 3rd. Then came the NA surge in 2010 and 2014, with two NA teams in 1st and 2nd and a Russian team 3rd.

Meanwhile, no Russian team has been on the World podium for the last two years. It seems as if the 90s style really is out of date.

This is because 2 of their best couples split and Katsalapov messed up that twizzles at Worlds in 2014. Otherwise, IK would have won the 2014 world title and probably both IK and SZ would have been contenders for medals these coming years. I think they had a sort of crisis after 2010 Olympcs, but after that they succeeded to put in place some good and very good teams. It's not fair to say that Russian teams are stuck in 90s style... some are very modern, try new things, some are not, but this you can find in other places too. It's not that the ID became weaker in Russia, but it became more interesting in other countries (USA, Canada, France) and kids are more keen to take ID now than before. Probably it's also a thing of politics, to diversify the most as possible the field.

Snow63

Record Breaker
This is because 2 of their best couples split and Katsalapov messed up that twizzles at Worlds in 2014. Otherwise, IK would have won the 2014 world title and probably both IK and SZ would have been contenders for medals these coming years.

And B/S were out because of Dima's injury. I still think there was a good chance for them to win 2014 World title.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No one said Ice Dance in Russia got weaker, just that the style of Russian ice dance didn't change with the times, so it got stale.

Snow63

Record Breaker
No one said Ice Dance in Russia got weaker, just that the style of Russian ice dance didn't change with the times, so it got stale.

I think, it was an answer on this:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I wonder where they're gonna be next season with C/B, Shibs, H/D and H/B latest improvement.

I'd wager right behind them. Which would be a win because I suspect if M&C had gone senior this year, they might have wound up behind C&M. Now, I think not. (I just think M&C are pretty quirky for the powers that be at U.S. Nationals so a solid international track record will give them a lot more cred). Likewise, I think M&C will not be overlooked when they make their senior international debut. Of course we have a long junior season ahead of us.

But it's not about next year. It's about 6 years down the road. This season is a big step in helping M&C establish themselves as a team worth betting on for the long haul. 90% of the battle is getting a team to stay together. I would love to watch H&B and M&C battle it out over the next quadrennium. They are radically different. And that's when a battle is exciting--because you never know who will come out ahead in the end.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Terrible choice of music for the Brits. Geez, she's THIRTEEN and he's FIFTEEN. This is way too sophisticated for teenyboppers. Oy veh!

"Teenyboppers"?! :shocked:

I thought my Dad was the only person who used that word!!! :laugh:

While I'm here, does anybody know how 2 kids from Maryland came to be representing Great Britain? I am assuming at least one of them has British parentage, but there are no notes on their ISU Bio.

Right, I'm away back to watching the competition. "Waltzing Matilda" is up next... :p

(You know, even though I couldn't resist saying it myself, I do feel really sorry for Matilda. As an Aussie doing Ice Dance with that name, she must get serious stick all the time! And she doesn't deserve it, because they are pretty good for a couple from a country where macho attitudes have hindered the development of the sport. ;) )

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just to make up a dumb story, one or both of them could be children of British diplomats....lots of foreign nationals work in the Washington, DC area..

But two years ago, they competed at US Junior Nationals
http://icemusings.blogspot.com/2013/01/sletten-and-verburg-ready-to-twizzle.html

However, from their bios, Gweneth's club is:
Cardiff National ISC. (Wales)

And Eliot's is:
NISA, a generic affiliation with UK skating.

I suspect Gweneth is the one with the stronger UK affiliations.

And if you are interested in UK skating in general, here's an interesting facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/Uknewsonicew....facebook.com/fbrdr/274/187534538049221/&_rdr

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just to make up a dumb story, one or both of them could be children of British diplomats....lots of foreign nationals work in the Washington, DC area..

But two years ago, they competed at US Junior Nationals
http://icemusings.blogspot.com/2013/01/sletten-and-verburg-ready-to-twizzle.html

However, from their bios, Gweneth's club is:
Cardiff National ISC. (Wales)

And Eliot's is:
NISA, a generic affiliation with UK skating.

I suspect Gweneth is the one with the stronger UK affiliations.

Actually, even though you think it is "dumb", your story is possible. Just look at Miley Cyrus' supposed girlfriend, Stella Maxwell. Her parents are both from Northern Ireland, but her Dad was a diplomat. So, Stella ended up being born in Belgium, and growing up in New Zealand.

Getting back on topic, and well done for spotting that thing about the clubs. For me, that looks like a definite indicator that Gweneth does have family connections.

Especially when you consider that "Gweneth" is a Welsh name! Here is the "Gweneth" page on that website you were discussing back in 2003! (See, posting a link to that old thread in the Men's FS thread yesterday did turn out handy! ;) :biggrin:)

Thank you!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I believe she goes by Gwen. I've never heard her referred to as Gweneth before. They were training at Wheaton for the U.S back as juveniles & novices. I think the parents who are "diplomats" is actually on the right track. (Read something about at least one of them having a British parent(s) working in D.C., but I can't find it now so could have just been someone's post).

American dancers in Colorado Springs: 11. 6 skating for the U.S., 2 skating for Hungary, 2 skating for Britain, 1 skating for Canada.

We'll probably have a lot more opportunities to see S&V skating for Britain than we would have otherwise.

I'm also glad Payten Howland found a new partner. I remember seeing her at the 2014 U.S. Nationals novice competition (along with Sletten & Verburg who finished 7th) and thinking that we had 3 or 4 great novice teams and Payten (who finished 6th). She had wonderful expression during compulsories, but she was under partnered. I remember being disappointed during her free. It always feels very odd when individual skaters team up with someone from another country and then suddenly spring up in the ranks ahead of athletes they've been losing to nationally. Largely, I assume, this is because the skater finds a better match. But often it also feels like it's because they are now ranked higher within their new country. Seeing Payten above Gropman & Somerville here, much less anywhere near Lewis & Bye, seems very strange. I'm sure it's exactly the same weird feeling for Canadian fans watching their athletes switch to the U.S. & suddenly bolt up in the rankings. Not to mention for Russian fans.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Actually, even though you think it is "dumb", your story is possible. Just look at Miley Cyrus' supposed girlfriend, Stella Maxwell. Her parents are both from Northern Ireland, but her Dad was a diplomat. So, Stella ended up being born in Belgium, and growing up in New Zealand.

Getting back on topic, and well done for spotting that thing about the clubs. For me, that looks like a definite indicator that Gweneth does have family connections.

Especially when you consider that "Gweneth" is a Welsh name! Here is the "Gweneth" page on that website you were discussing back in 2003! (See, posting a link to that old thread in the Men's FS thread yesterday did turn out handy! ;) :biggrin:)

Thank you!

CaroLiza_fan

WISA's had other foreign-based teams train there before. I remember a French team in the past year or two.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I believe she goes by Gwen. I've never heard her referred to as Gweneth before. They were training at Wheaton for the U.S back as juveniles & novices. I think the parents who are "diplomats" is actually on the right track. (Read something about at least one of them having a British parent(s) working in D.C., but I can't find it now so could have just been someone's post).

I don't think that the name thing is anything major. Probably just the ISU copying exactly what says on her Passport, rather than using the shortened name she normally goes by.

American dancers in Colorado Springs: 11. 6 skating for the U.S., 2 skating for Hungary, 2 skating for Britain, 1 skating for Canada.

Very interesting! You know, that is the sort of thing I'd like to hear about more often - who all is training at particular centres and under particular coaches. OK, so we might hear it with "big names". But, it would be interesting to hear the full list of who is training somewhere.

And it could be very eye opening to see just how many students a particular coach has!

We'll probably have a lot more opportunities to see S&V skating for Britain than we would have otherwise.

Very true. But, I've been told off before for encouraging skaters to switch countries, so I am not going to say any more ;) :biggrin:

It always feels very odd when individual skaters team up with someone from another country and then suddenly spring up in the ranks ahead of athletes they've been losing to nationally. Largely, I assume, this is because the skater finds a better match. But often it also feels like it's because they are now ranked higher within their new country. Seeing Payten above Gropman & Somerville here, much less anywhere near Lewis & Bye, seems very strange. I'm sure it's exactly the same weird feeling for Canadian fans watching their athletes switch to the U.S. & suddenly bolt up in the rankings. Not to mention for Russian fans.

I hadn't thought of it from this perspective before, but you make some very good points here. Thank you!

CaroLiza_fan

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
And it could be very eye opening to see just how many students a particular coach has!
CaroLiza_fan

Yes. From what I've seen & read this season, I believe Igor has:

Juniors:
Abachkina & Thauron (FRA)
Pogrebinsky & Benoit (US)
Carreira & Ponomarenko (US)
Lewis & Bye (US)
Konkina & Reviya (RUS)
Howland & Malette-Paquette (CAN)

Seniors:
Chock & Bates (USA)
Coomes & Buckland (GBR)
Guignard & Fabbri (ITA)
Moscheni & Lukacs (HUN)
Lorenz & Polizoakis (GER)
T. Rabe & Koleto (NOR)

I heard Tobias & Tkachenko (ISR) listed under him as well, but a recent post on another thread implied this was not the case.