Dmitri Aliev | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Dmitri Aliev

medoroa

On the Ice
I'm so happy it seems like his mental conditioning is going so well! What he did was exactly the right thing, he moved on from the mistake. :)

He should give tips to Kolyada j/k j/k don't @ me

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
Just came here to congratulate Dima for his amazing performance! :love:

Beautiful skating skills, lines and refinement, he is one of the skaters I enjoy watching the most, and he is my silver medalist of the day.:thumbsup:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Dima for sure deserved silver, the competition was a joke, I agree, but I'm so glad he held it together despite the mistakes so yea Dima!

I hope not the Russian fed favors Samarin, so far Dima has done way better than him.

He hasn't been perfect in any of his three competitions this season. He's made some big mistakes. But I'm really surprised (and absolutely thrilled) that despite that he has not let the performance fall apart and meltdown in any of them. He's held on in all of them.

That's been one of his (and for Russian men in general) biggest problems and I hope it's a sign it's something he's conquered for good. So fingers crossed!

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
It has always been hard to understand Dima's scoring - already in the juniors he was pretty good with finish, skating skills etc. and in the internal battle of the Russians, Samarin was getting usually similar or even better scores even though he is all about the jumps and little else. I have been told now it is the result of the internal Russian fed politics - Dima trains in St. Petersburg with an unpopular coach and not in Moscow with someone else. But then Kolyada is also from St Petersburg but he has never had to work very hard to get the top scores. I guess his coach is better connected then?! It will be interesting to see how the season develops, if Dima will remain the top Russian man.

This was sort of on a par with the Nepela FS and below LT performance. The SP seems to work fine most of the time, so hopefully the FS will follow with a bit of time. I was also pleased to see him look so energetic in the latter part of the FS - he has had serious conditioning issues before but now that does not seem to be the problem. Now a couple of weeks of training and then to Rostelecom with new energy!

E

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
It has always been hard to understand Dima's scoring - already in the juniors he was pretty good with finish, skating skills etc. and in the internal battle of the Russians, Samarin was getting usually similar or even better scores even though he is all about the jumps and little else. I have been told now it is the result of the internal Russian fed politics - Dima trains in St. Petersburg with an unpopular coach and not in Moscow with someone else. But then Kolyada is also from St Petersburg but he has never had to work very hard to get the top scores. I guess his coach is better connected then?! It will be interesting to see how the season develops, if Dima will remain the top Russian man.

This was sort of on a par with the Nepela FS and below LT performance. The SP seems to work fine most of the time, so hopefully the FS will follow with a bit of time. I was also pleased to see him look so energetic in the latter part of the FS - he has had serious conditioning issues before but now that does not seem to be the problem. Now a couple of weeks of training and then to Rostelecom with new energy!

E

In theory Kolyada is like a perfect skater, a potential world champion. Jumps are huge, he skates big and fast, spins are always super fast and centered, all the ingredients are there, that's why he gets so much praise despite he never skates clean. Influential people among the federation like Tarasova really like Chebotareva's group and wants to help them, she spoke openly about it in interviews. But I think if he keeps bombing every single program, eventually RusFed will give up on him.

In general the idea that i sense is that RusFed is more open in Men's figure skating, because they've been struggling to find success there in the past, i mean the last world champion from Russia was Evgeni Plushenko in 2004, so there's a chance for everyone: as long as you prove you can compete at high levels and earn medals, that's the only thing: Fed wants to see the results.

Aliev's teammate Makar Ignatov got 2 GP spots immediately after the good performances at Test Skates and Nebelhorn.

They overscore Samarin because he can jump quads and yes they are huge but he's also super inconsistent, and like you said besides that there isn't much else in his programs so i don't think that's a smart strategy: in competitions where judges are particularly strict with you, like it was Skate America, or even unbiased events like Worlds 2019, Samarin is never going to get those huge components. The same happened to Kovtun.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, in my book there is no such thing as a "perfect skater." And potential hardly matters if you can't put everything together.

Dima isn't perfect either, but in terms of performance he is on another level. He puts his heart and soul into his skating, he's not serving up cheesy character programs. Everything he does feels authentic and honest. These qualities are worth much more to me than any point-grabbing mathematical equation. His Coldplay ex program was beautiful...can't find it on Youtube, unfortunately, maybe due to copyright.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
I feels the same silver foxes,what Dina does can not be tought standing in front of a mirror. He skates with the music not to it.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Grrr. Still kicking myself. As I was walking from the arena to the hotel, there was Dmitri walking towards me (most likely going to gala practice). He had his ear buds in, but I tapped him on the shoulder and said "Congratulations and thank you for your beautiful skating." He smiled the cutest smile and said "thank you, thank you." We wished him good luck this season and he thanked us. I had my camera in my hand and was so star struck and mesmerized I didn't take his picture. I'll probably never have another opportunity like that! :sad4:

oly2018

Final Flight
Just popping in to say I love watched Dmitri in person this past weekend. The second half of his short specifically, was beautiful. He seemed underscored in components, but I wonder if that has something to do with his inconsistency over the last year. The way the season is looking so far, he may be the most consistent Russian man, so hopefully he gets pushed a bit by the fed.

Artemisa

Final Flight
More than the resut I was happy because when the first jump didn't work out ... that didn't affected his program .. and that's a victory

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Well, in my book there is no such thing as a "perfect skater." And potential hardly matters if you can't put everything together.

Dima isn't perfect either, but in terms of performance he is on another level. He puts his heart and soul into his skating, he's not serving up cheesy character programs. Everything he does feels authentic and honest. These qualities are worth much more to me than any point-grabbing mathematical equation. His Coldplay ex program was beautiful...can't find it on Youtube, unfortunately, maybe due to copyright.

Well said, I can't agree more!!!! The Ex program was a pure jewel :luv17: thank god I managed to save it from ISU site!!!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Grrr. Still kicking myself. As I was walking from the arena to the hotel, there was Dmitri walking towards me (most likely going to gala practice). He had his ear buds in, but I tapped him on the shoulder and said "Congratulations and thank you for your beautiful skating." He smiled the cutest smile and said "thank you, thank you." We wished him good luck this season and he thanked us. I had my camera in my hand and was so star struck and mesmerized I didn't take his picture. I'll probably never have another opportunity like that! :sad4:

aww, I can so relate... I had a similar experience with Kevin Aymoz last year at IdF!!! It's always a mission impossible to capitalize upon and maximize the precious moment even if you are prepared for it, but imagine it just drops on you unexpected!! :eekn: Don't dispair, I hope and believe for his successful career for more years to come, so you will have another chance!

MintGreen

On the Ice
I always know he is a beautiful skater. So I was looking forward to seeing him at Skate America. But watching him skating live, it was just an experience at a completely different level. I'd say that I was blown away by his presence and elegance on ice.

I hope he can improve his consistency and stamina, stay healthy and do well this season and for many more seasons!

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
I think Dima skated better at SA. He felt a little tense. I still love him though.
The Swedish commentators are irritating! I wish I could turn them off. Too many stupid remarks...
I wonder what Dima thinks about his skate , any interviews or comments from PC anyone?

klena

On the Ice
I think Dima skated better at SA. He felt a little tense. I still love him though.
The Swedish commentators are irritating! I wish I could turn them off. Too many stupid remarks...
I wonder what Dima thinks about his skate , any interviews or comments from PC anyone?

Dima's comments from PC
"There were shortcomings, one of the main was the quadruple lutz, which was supposed to be in the cascade. In general, I am satisfied with today, I wanted to open up a little more in the StSq to show the program more vividly and sincerely. According to internal feelings, unfortunately, it did not work"

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Congratulations Dima on the silver, great job and under pressure!

I hope and think...I will see you at the GPF