Dmitri Aliev | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Dmitri Aliev

mercybuckets

Rinkside
Popping in to say that I have my fingers crossed to see Dima in the GPF. I love to watch his programs as he always seems so in tune with the music and his flow is so lovely!

MintGreen

On the Ice
I was worried when he popped his second jump into a triple toe. But he didn’t let that affected him and improvised to get in a second quad toe. What a fighter he was today! It was such a pity that his second 3lz got invalidated due to repetition. Had he done a 4T+2T, he would have won the event.

But still, a 3+2 will most likely be good enough for qualifying GPF. Look forward to it!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm very happy for Dima (probably) making GPF, of course. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I see how strictly he is judged compared to some others (pills that make me nauseous!)...but it is what it is. He's fighting and I believe he's getting stronger overall. At least GPF should be a little less politically biased than skating in the US or in Russia where he is clearly not the chosen one...so we'll see. Not that I expect him to win gold or silver, but bronze could be anyone's.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
FWIW, the Russian judge had barely Dima ahead in the SP (94.77 to 94.73), though he had him 0.45 behind in the FS. But basically gave them the same scores.

Also for PCS, the Russian judge had Dima first in the SP with Samarin 3rd (difference was 0.5) and in the FS (difference was 1.0). Imo the difference should be bigger, but still interesting.

MintGreen

On the Ice

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Now it’s official, he is in the final :) I’m not making any predictions, just looking forward to seeing the competition.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Yay! Was hoping for this so much... Now hard work for a couple of weeks to get those unruly jumps to work for him!

E

TheChimster

Rinkside
I'm a bit behind on watching the grand prixs but I just finally watched Rostelecom Cup this weekend. And I can't understand why Dima's second triple lutz was invalidated in the free skate. I guess I just don't understand the rules good enough. I'm familiar with the Zayak rule and have read the general jump rules about repeats. But I thought the rule was that any double can't be repeated more than twice. And only two triples or quads can be executed twice and one has to be in combination. if the rule is that you can't repeat a jump unless it's in combination, then why wasn't one of Samarin's jumps invalidated for the same reason:

Dima's jumps:

1. 3Lz
2. 3T
3. 4T+3T
4. 4T
5. 3A
6. 3Lz+1Eu+3S
7. 3Lo+2T

Samarin's:

1. 4Lz+3T
2. 3F
3. 3T
4. 3A
5. 3A+2T
6. 3Lz+2T
7. 3Lo

Can someone help break it down for me?

MintGreen

On the Ice
I think Samarin's jumps look fine and your description of the rule looks good to me too. He repeated 3T, 3A and 2T. The 2T doesn't count toward the limitation of two types of triple or quad. one 3T and one 3A are in combo. Which particular jump you think has an issue?

And Dima repeated 3T, 4T and 3Lz, and that exceed the limitation of two types of triple of quad, so the last 3Lz got invalidated. It also agrees with the rule you described.

I'm a bit behind on watching the grand prixs but I just finally watched Rostelecom Cup this weekend. And I can't understand why Dima's second triple lutz was invalidated in the free skate. I guess I just don't understand the rules good enough. I'm familiar with the Zayak rule and have read the general jump rules about repeats. But I thought the rule was that any double can't be repeated more than twice. And only two triples or quads can be executed twice and one has to be in combination. if the rule is that you can't repeat a jump unless it's in combination, then why wasn't one of Samarin's jumps invalidated for the same reason:

Dima's jumps:

1. 3Lz
2. 3T
3. 4T+3T
4. 4T
5. 3A
6. 3Lz+1Eu+3S
7. 3Lo+2T

Samarin's:

1. 4Lz+3T
2. 3F
3. 3T
4. 3A
5. 3A+2T
6. 3Lz+2T
7. 3Lo

Can someone help break it down for me?

TheChimster

Rinkside
Thank you for the explanation. I think I was getting confused on the "no more than two executions of a triple or quad" rule and just had to work it through in my head again.

I think Samarin's jumps look fine and your description of the rule looks good to me too. He repeated 3T, 3A and 2T. The 2T doesn't count toward the limitation of two types of triple or quad. one 3T and one 3A are in combo. Which particular jump you think has an issue?

And Dima repeated 3T, 4T and 3Lz, and that exceed the limitation of two types of triple of quad, so the last 3Lz got invalidated. It also agrees with the rule you described.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Thank you, I have benefited from this comparison of two programs and the explanation how the rule works!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well fought, and still keeping my fingers and toes crossed for the free skate.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Yes me too.
I think he was a little nervous but he managed to handle his nerves tonight even if he made small misstakes. He is such an elegant skater. It comes through way more live than on TV.

MintGreen

On the Ice
It is nice to see Dima got his 4lz back, and got all the revolutions and landings of the jumps done. But what happened to the levels of the spins and footwork? So many points were left on the table. I hope he can truly set himself free in the free skate and skate a clean program. Fingers crossed too.