Dmitri Aliev | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Dmitri Aliev

bloomies20

Rinkside
Really thought this was his year to win Nationals but that was just really bad. His confidence looks totally shot. Really hoping there isn't some undisclosed injury.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Im really wondering too if there is some injuries. Hos coach looked worried before Dima started skating. Something is not right. So sad for Dima. Last time when he skated bad in Grenoble he posted an almost heartbreaking excuse to everyone. I wonder what he will do now. All his posts and photos have been deleted on his IG. Strange...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
He says he's not injured. He's always had a habit of deleting his photos so I don't find that too odd (just frustrating). I truly believe he needs a long break - he didn't have the luxury of any vacation after last season like some others. He had only about 5 days off before they started working again. That's not nearly long enough to recover from an Olympic season.

I am fine if he ends his season after this and just takes the time to recover and rebuild.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Thank you silverfoxes for the update. Did he say anything else ?
I didn't know he has a habit of deleting his photos, that's a strange thing to do. He has or had really nice photos but of course its up to him to delete them. Has anyone asked him why he does this?

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I am beyond gutted for him... I wonder if he hurt himself when he took that nasty fall, and that resulted in missing his Axel? He doesn't seem like the type to make an excuse about aching foot or running a fever etc. etc.... My hearts are in 1000 pieces now... like Silverfox said, I can cope if he decides to take a long break to rebuild, but I really hope his two absolutely beautiful programs. They were custom made for him, both of them, they deserved so much more. I just want to hug him if I could right now

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Dmitri is a very special skater, and I put him as the winner for Russian nationals. However, I do not think it would hurt him to take the rest of the season off. I love both of these programs, so I would be thrilled to see them next year. I think the problem is is that he does not know how great a performer that he truly is.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thank you silverfoxes for the update. Did he say anything else ?
I didn't know he has a habit of deleting his photos, that's a strange thing to do. He has or had really nice photos but of course its up to him to delete them. Has anyone asked him why he does this?

He didn't say much to reporters in the mixed zone:

https://rsport.ria.ru/20181220/1548335941.html

"No, everything is fine," Aliyev told reporters, answering the question whether he had been injured.
The skater politely declined further comment.

I don't know why he deletes his photos...maybe personal/relationship reasons, maybe he likes to keep things fresh, doesn't like keeping old ones around for whatever reason. Maybe he just has moods where it makes sense to him to do those things (even if we don't understand).

Well, anyway, here's a lovely photo of him from the draw:

https://pp.userapi.com/c848732/v848732374/e91be/a9myeYKXGq0.jpg

NAOTMAA

Medalist
He says he's not injured. He's always had a habit of deleting his photos so I don't find that too odd (just frustrating). I truly believe he needs a long break - he didn't have the luxury of any vacation after last season like some others. He had only about 5 days off before they started working again. That's not nearly long enough to recover from an Olympic season.

I am fine if he ends his season after this and just takes the time to recover and rebuild.

Wow, what was the reason for this :scratch2:

Post Olympic season is very tough mentally and physically because the Olympic season itself is so draining. I can't imagine only having 5 days off before immediately going onto the next season. He definitely does need a long rest and to start the next season fresh mentally and physically!

He's my current favorite of not just Russian men but all competing men so I'm praying at least he redeems himself in the free and ends the season on a high note :pray:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
My heart goes out to Dmitri.:( His miss on the triple axel was so strange, not even a pop, that I actually wondered whether it counted as an attempt. (I personally can’t recall seeing that mistake on the elite level before, though I’m sure it’s happened.) Still, although it may seem like a big mountain to climb, I wouldn’t count him out on getting on the podium. That he was fourth in PCS, quite close to Samarin despite the disastrous performance, shows that the Russian judges/fed consider him a top contender. If he pulls off a free skate like he did in France, I’ve no doubt the judges would leap frog him in the standings so that only Kovtun, Mikhail, and Samarin stand a chance to score above. And as everyone knows, those three are total wild cards.

Edited: Also, while I certainly don’t wish this, it wouldn’t be the end of the world for Dmitri not to make Europeans/Worlds this season. He’s only nineteen, so he could potentially be in contention for at least two more Oly quads (in contrast to some of his current closest competitors).

sheetz

Record Breaker
I haven't seen the protocols but I wouldn't even classify what he did on the 3A as a jump "attempt". Which makes me wonder if he could have tried throwing in a 2A somewhere later on in the program.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
My thought too sheets, about the 3 A, it looked like well he didn't even go up in the air at all.

Dima is easily my favorite skater of all the competing men in the world right now with the only exeption of Dai after his decision to come back. Dima loks very different than last year and perhaps that can be explained by the only 5 days vacation not enough to time to recharge.
I so want him to do good, he is unique, a diamond. He is an emotional skater with I love. It was a very long time ago Russia had a skater with his capacity.
I hope for a "replay" of the FP from the GP in France so he ends this competition on a good note.

AlimaAsh

On the Ice
I haven't seen the protocols but I wouldn't even classify what he did on the 3A as a jump "attempt". Which makes me wonder if he could have tried throwing in a 2A somewhere later on in the program.

On the Channel 1 stream during the ice resurfacing, Yagudin asked from the tech team if Dima’s Axel was actually a validated ‘jump attempt’. Apparently it was actually counted, but Dima could have made an another attempt of a triple axel instead of his jump into spin. That would have made it as if his failed axel attempt was a failed jump into spin attempt. I don’t know if it makes sense but that’s how Yagudin explained it anyways :)

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Yes that makes sense AlimaAsh but I can understand when you are out there it can be hard to change the layout and also perhaps Dima didnt know the Axel attempt could be changed into a jump into spin a attempt.
Its hard for him right now but, now he knows for the future perhaps...or rather hopefully will not happen again...

AlimaAsh

On the Ice
Yes that makes sense AlimaAsh but I can understand when you are out there it can be hard to change the layout and also perhaps Dima didnt know the Axel attempt could be changed into a jump into spin a attempt.
Its hard for him right now but, now he knows for the future perhaps...or rather hopefully will not happen again...

Yes I totally agree with you. It definitely would have been crazy fast thinking if he would have thought of that on the spot. Hope this will be a learning experience!

NAOTMAA

Medalist
They probably train skaters to think fast and improvise in the free but not likely in the short. Skaters probably aren't mentally ready to do that there because there isn't much time and they have to get certain stuff done and the program is already crammed. Maybe some skaters have done it but it's probably pretty rare.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Todays FP was no where close to his FP last year and what he can really do but it was ok.

I prefer the beginning of the FP as it was choreographed not with the 2 a in the beginning. Dima is just so lovely to watch anyway, I could literally pay to just watch him practice hehe.

His coach was not there in K/C after the skate hm is he as emotional as Dima I wonder?

IG is ok no more deleted posts so far...

I hope he will rest and be back in full force for next season. I still believe in him, he is the diamond and perhaps its not so bad that this happened, he gets the time to recharge. He deserves it

SheaChn

Spectator
I'm so happy that he got his 4lo back! While we've always treasured his emotional performance, we shouldn't forget about his strong jumping ability. And I hope that he can show his real strength next season in competition. There's enough time for him to get prepared.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Yea looks fab doesn't it! So great to see!

I hope he will be back in full force next season. I still hope he will compete or be in a show somewhere before next season though.

Talking about quadrupples, his IG has done some since Nationals.
I've never seen anyone deleting than posting and then deleting posting to again delete at least 3 times in just a month. Cant help but wonder ...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
He's practicing 4F as well

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsiK0kph5P2/

About the deleted posts...I noticed he and Alisa do not seem to follow each other any more, maybe that has something to do with it. (I'm not one of those people who constantly checks on such things, just today out of curiosity I looked, so I don't know how recent it is). Anyway, it seems like he is in good spirits and feeling re-energized after a bit of a holiday break. We'll see how things go.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
wow now that 4F looked really ok, he now has what? 4 potentially quads or does he have a 4 sal as well? future looking promising.

ok about the IG that might be the case... well I don't check often either but this one was strange, anyway love his new energy, things looks great again.