Dmitri Aliev | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Dmitri Aliev

MintGreen

On the Ice
What a skate from Dima! A well deserved win! And the reactions from him and coach Ruka are just priceless. I was overwhelmed with emotions, and literally crying after his skate. But now I'm smiling by seeing him smiling at the podium!

Finley

Record Breaker
That was so emotional. I couldn't be happier for him. What a skate! I was heartbroken for him at the GPF and now my heart is overflowing with pride for him! He really created a moment.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Haven’t seen it yet.... but I’ve bern quietly predicting this victory for a couple of months now. Congrats to Dima!! Well rewarded. Russia truly now has a leading man. Maybe that GPF free skate was the best thing to happen for him. Good luck to him at Worlds!!

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just caught up with the men’s final at Euros. Congratulations to Dmitri on his well-deserved win :clap: Hopefully, this will give him lots of confidence going forward. I loved the coach’s reaction, and his happy tears in the K&C was so endearing.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I'm so thrilled he was able to validate his national title not just by winning Euros but skating the best he has in two years :agree: Hopefully he now gets the full support of the federation he completely deserves :pray:

Now full steam ahead to worlds! Good luck :cool:

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
I love that Titanilla B in the press conference after the free program, called Dima,
Poet on Ice!
Nothing could be more accurate 😍

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Naturally, there have been a ton of articles congratulating Dima in the Russian media and I don't have time to round them all up, but I particularly liked this one from Match TV:

DMITRI ALIEV IS THE NEW EUROPEAN CHAMPION! JOURNALISTS WERE LEFT WITHOUT DINNER, CELEBRATING THE HISTORIC VICTORY OF THE RUSSIAN SKATER

On Thursday, January 23, Russian skater Dmitry Aliyev won the European Championship gold. This has not happened for eight years - the last winner from Russia was Evgeni Plushenko in 2012.

After the competition, the men held an awards ceremony. After it, another prize-winner press conference was planned, so the journalists were in no hurry for the last scheduled shuttle to the hotel at midnight, risking staying overnight right in the arena and finally using this canvas giant tent for its intended purpose. Who will think about such mundane things as a dream and a hot dinner when the sports history of the country is happening before your eyes.

There was definitely no one happier on this day than the new European champion and his coach. For each of them, this gold is the first award of this level. In Eugene Rukavitsin I had a lot of strong athletes, but no one else did not submit immediately a national title (his Aliyev won at the end of December) and the best skater on the continent. The broadcast director perfectly caught the shot of Dmitry’s final pose - right behind him, carefully celebrating his clean rental, Evgeny Rukavitsyn triumphantly threw up his hands in the champion's way. And then already, meeting the student by the side, he told him simply and precisely: “Thank you, son.”

Why does the word "son" mean everything here? Because you can refuse a student by transferring it to another teacher, but they don’t refuse children. They love children by anybody, they educate and dream that someday they will see their blockhead as a big man.

Rukavitsyn also dreamed. He did not stop dreaming even last season, when Aliyev at the Russian Championship lost to Mikhail Kolyada, who had just left the hospital and returned to Maxim Kovtun after a break in his career. And finally, I saw. Everyone noticed Aliyev’s unprecedented confidence even after a short program, but in arbitrary he surpassed himself. In addition to the shortage on the fourth lutz, to which the technical team found fault, Dmitry did not make a single mistake.

- When I realized that the rental was worthy, pictures popped up in my head as I was preparing for this tournament. Therefore, I had tears and joys, and overcoming myself. Emotionally rental was difficult. Now I am happy and grateful to myself, the coaches and today that all this has happened. Preparation for the competition was peculiar. Before leaving here I had a successful training, and before that there were blots, and this made me doubt myself, ”Aliyev said at a press conference after the award.
How many correct chances were missed until yesterday - not to count. How many jumps were made that needed to be done - unmeasured. How many times the coach needed to blush for the result and how many times to correct mistakes in the preparation of the athlete is endless.

Dmitry Aliev, to be honest, has always been a good skater. He was them back when Rukavitsyn considered something in a Ukhta boy who shares his time between skiing and figure skating. Aliyev stood out when he became the silver medalist and winner of the junior grand prix finals. He was remembered for his amazing short program at the Olympics in Pyeongchang under "Masquerade" by Khachaturian. In the end, Aliyev could be watched even in the season 2018/2019 - even without jumping and in poor physical shape, he still remained a very good skater in terms of skate, posture and sensible presentation. But it didn’t work out to put everything together - either physics, technology, or mathematics suffered. In Graz, finally, the puzzle has developed.

Maybe Dmitry was helped by a modest skating rink and general unpretentious living conditions: for some time there was no hot water in the hotel of the athletes, and because of the specifics of the tarpaulin, the air did not circulate at all, and it was very stuffy. Semi-empty stands lowered the degree of responsibility of what is happening, and concentration on everyday life distracted from the thought that before the gold of Europe he only needs to lend a confident hand.

- I like the atmosphere here at the rink, so homely. But concentrating on hire was not easy. I remember the backstage during the warm-up: my ears, elbows began to burn, and this is not very good. I literally began to burn out. But I found words that I needed to say to myself in order to calm down. In the final pose I realized that today I am a champion for myself. I heard the noise of the stands, and then I was struck. And he became aware of the fact that he became the European champion when he saw how Misha was rated (Michal Brzezine. - “Match TV”).

How can one not remember the Christmas ball given to the organizers by Dima at the draw of the Russian championship in Krasnorsk and broken in the first seconds? Glass breaks for happiness.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Oh nice Silverfoxes, thank you!

Dima sure made history not only for himself but also for the Russians.
First time I saw him live at Finlandia Trophy I thought he was the best Russian had since Yagudin(sorry not a Plush fan)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
This paragraph sounds a little odd in translation:

How can one not remember the Christmas ball given to the organizers by Dima at the draw of the Russian championship in Krasnorsk and broken in the first seconds? Glass breaks for happiness.

So, here is the explanation/interpretation:

What comes to mind, is the (glass) Christmas ornament that the organizers gave to DA during the draw at the RusNats in Krasnoyarsk, and that broke right away. As we all know, (accidentally) breaking something made of glass is a lucky omen! (unlike the mirrors).

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Two really good interviews, first with Dima & the second with Rukavitsin.

"I WANT TO HUG THE WHOLE WORLD." INTERVIEW WITH EUROPEAN CHAMPION DMITRY ALIYEV FOR MATCH TV

Russia after Evgeni Plushenko. The best part of his victory is that it is unconditional - no symbolic margins within the score, no expectation of rivals' mistakes, no compromises with a sports conscience. Aliyev showed two rentals close to perfection and for the first time in 8 years brought Russia European gold in men's single skating.

Skaters rarely come to a meeting with a journalist with such undisguised pleasure and rarely when they answer questions as poetically as Dmitry Aliyev does. Read the interview, meet the new champion, love him and believe me - there is a reason.

From the interview you will learn:

How does a man who became European champion feel today and what he eats for breakfast
How to solve the problem of fatigue by the end of the program
Quadruple Lutz - Still Hard or Already Easy?
What gives the jumping game with Makar Ignatov in training
How many days of rest can Aliyev have after winning in Graz

- Today at breakfast at the hotel I saw your coach (Evgenia Rukavitsyna. - “Match TV”). He smiled at everyone, waved his hand and generally seemed the happiest person in the world. Do you have the same feeling of great happiness? Or has a calm acceptance of what has already happened?

- Yes, I also probably want to hug the whole world. Today even in the morning I posted a post on instagram, however, then deleted it. He wrote there that I dream of gathering the whole family, the team, loved ones - everyone who believed and was sick - in one circle, and just hug. But my wings are not so big yet ( smiles ). But I especially want to hug the coach now, because yesterday in this hectic we practically did not see each other and did not communicate.

- Did you get enough sleep, by the way? I’ll even pose the question differently: was it possible to fall asleep?

- I arrived yesterday after all the events, I was met by my roommate Jonathan Gurreiro. He embraced fraternally, congratulated me, I still watched my rental for the night. Once again I experienced pleasant emotions. He thanked himself, the team and the Almighty for this day. I went to bed at about two in the morning, got enough sleep, went to breakfast with pleasure, and came with the same pleasure to come here to give you an interview.

- Is the European Champion’s breakfast different from what you usually eat? Maybe you allow yourself a little more?

“For breakfast, I had coffee, a donut, and two more desserts.” After the start, you know, you can. But in general, I did not concentrate too much on this. That the first caught my eye and wanted, then he took it.

- How do you rate your gold rental by looking at it from the side? Would you like to change something?

- The four Lutz was not twisted to the jackdaw. But in yesterday’s speech I wouldn’t want to change anything. It was exactly what it was supposed to be.

Although at some point I nevertheless caught myself thinking that it would be possible to jump a triple axel instead of a lutz-sheepskin coat three or three. And that would give more points. But still. With everything that we gained for this start, I managed.

- If you were told a year ago in Saransk at the Russian Championship that you would win the European Championship 2020, would you believe it?

- That season was ... ( pause ) unsuccessful. I had a completely different head, and I was not able to believe in anything at all, including in myself. Now I can say - I believe in myself. Not so much to convince yourself in vain: "Well, you can, you've already done this 100 times." This is such a faith ... ( pause ) She is kind. Maybe you had that too. When you do not think - to ask or not to ask, to interview or not to take. You just want to trust yourself and go try it with an open heart. And everything turns out the way it should be: you will take the interview that you dream of, and I will do the work that I have to do.

Now I feel the light inside me. Then in places I felt the darkness.

“You not only feel, but also radiate light.” They even began to ride differently. And in stamina significantly increased. Worked on this purposefully?

- As for stamina, I’ll honestly say that we didn’t do anything special to somehow strengthen it, increase the load on the physical fitness unit (general physical training. - “Match TV”) and so on. We are just in regular mode, in a quiet training environment, we are rolling programs. Here you need to understand that you can break the system. Let's say I'm tired by the end of the program. But I myself choose whether to succumb to this feeling or try to do everything in full force anyway, and at some point a second wind will come. This is such an inner ascent that carries you up and forward.

I used to give up directly. He felt the onset of fatigue - and that’s it, he was driving further than the snot. The coaches told me for a long time: “When the sediment appears in the legs and body, do everything more powerful, stronger. Do as the last time. " Their words drop by drop changed me. In training, a turning point once occurred. I was pleased to skate the program cleanly, and on the track I tried to strengthen, despite the fatigue. Now I understand that this is really coming from the inside. If you want to show that you are not tired, then you will look strong.

- During the time that you perform the quadruple lutz, it became for you the same familiar jump as a quadruple sheepskin coat or triple axel? Or is it still remains a higher bar, before taking which it is necessary to scatter properly?

- Fourth Lutz - a contrasting element. Sometimes it seems like a bar above all others, and sometimes I look at it from top to bottom. I’m not even afraid to say that sometimes I jump it with my eyes closed. I jump and understand - my jump.

Problems begin when I put on a little weight or start turning something superfluous in my head and think about technology. But more often than not - if you just make lutz, you just wave your mind and trust your body, which already knows everything, - the jump turns into a buzz.

- In the same group, Makar Ignatov is training with you. Sparring with a strong opponent helps?

“There is sparring, that's true.” Most of all just with Makar. We get along very well, we have no division of anything. Everyone knows his job, everyone does his job. Charge each other in turn. Often we play jumping, and this is also cool - you have to kind of make one jump, and we begin - it is quadruple, I am quadruple. It pushes me forward. I think him too. I am glad that we have such a confrontation in the group, and Makar and I are very good friends. There is no anger between us.

- What do you think, how many days of rest they will give you upon returning home?

“I'll ask for four days.” I don’t know how much they will give ( smiles ).

- Let's remember the European Championship 2018 in Moscow and your silver on it and compare it with the European Championship 2020 with a gold medal. Crowded Megasport, but with silver, against a small ice rink in Graz, but with gold. Can these medals be compared at all, and if so, which one is more expensive to you?

“They cannot be compared at all, I think.” The European Championship 2018 is my first adult season, my native country, a classroom, and there I managed to skate well. It was such an important medal and my entrance to adult figure skating.

There are probably fewer people in the stands. But they get sick hotly. And I think everyone who was in Moscow, and in general people in Russia, are also happy about this victory in little Graz. So for now, this is the most valuable victory in my sports career.

- You write poetry yourself, and which poet you like to read? Maybe not just poets.

- I love poetry of Sergey Yesenin very much. In general, I read very little and selectively. I can’t, for example, read books on films. But I can pay attention to some unknown book if one of my friends tells me that it caused him bright emotions. Then I can try. If I feel that my book is by title or by first page, then I can read it.

- Do you name Esenin’s favorite poems?

- "Black Man" and "Letter to a Woman." I learned about the last poem from actor Sergei Bezrukov. “Darling, you didn’t love me ...” ( reads the first line with an expression ).

- If you could write a letter to yourself in the past, when you were just starting your career in serious sports, what advice would you give to that 10-year-old boy?

- ( after a pause ) Listen to your heart and not give up. Yes, so I would have written to him.

Trainer Rukavitsn: Aliev loves life and enjoys it

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Aw Liza, how sweet!
I'm so glad for Dima. So nice to see all the appreciation he gets.
Can't wait till Worlds he is very much a contender for the bronze at least

Orlov

Medalist
Here is a link to the video of the russian TV evening show (with eng sub), to which Dima was invited as part of the team of European gold Champions.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Dima will prepare for Worlds in the US

https://tass.ru/sport/7827801

Interview with the coach who changed the fate of Dmitri Aliev - very interesting! What a wonderful woman...and I hope Mishin has serious regrets now about not taking Dima. As if his other men have done so well in recent years :laugh: But I am certainly glad fate led him to Rukavicin, who is the perfect coach for him, and allowed him to have his own style.

https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...u_trenera_izmenivshego_sudbu_Dmitrija_Alijeva

TheChimster

Rinkside
Where will he be training in the U.S? Is his coach with him?

Article says Newburgh, NY. The city is about a half hour drive from where I live and about 1.5 hours north of New York City. Newburgh has a rink called IceTime Sports Complex. I've skated there once and thought the conditions of the ice were poor. Newburgh is also only a 5 hour drive from Montreal.

alexaa

Final Flight
Dima had an IG live yesterday and here is the translation of the IG live. He talked back on ice from 3 month quarantine, fatigue and thoughts of retirement 18/19 season, friendship, skating/competing with soul, melancholy problems, fun experience in Japan when he was a junior, Olympic, college plan and future plans of coaching, writing poetry and music etc, and here are the translation about plan fornew programs.

there are ideas for new programs, they’re choosing the music now, already chose music for the free and in a few days they will start making choreo. he wants to experiment in the short, find some new ideas to bring on the ice. to experiment, or to create a story

https://twitter.com/choromatsu333/status/1271024058679930882?s=20