2015 JGP Colorado Springs Mens FS Sep 4 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP Colorado Springs Mens FS Sep 4

Layback11

Record Breaker
Just curious...why don't you care about men's skating? Honest question.

I'm not sure, actually. There are probably a lot of reasons.

But I am kind of ashamed to admit that one of them is that it's simply not as pretty as ladies or dance. :slink: One of my favorite things about skating is that it's sport enough to be exciting and athletic, but art enough to be beautiful; men's skating seems to have veered sharply into the "sport" category. Which I totally respect; it's just not my thing. (Kind of like how I like rhythmic gymnastics better than artistic gymnastics, though I love both.)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

But I am kind of ashamed to admit that one of them is that it's simply not as pretty as ladies or dance. :slink: One of my favorite things about skating is that it's sport enough to be exciting and athletic, but art enough to be beautiful; men's skating seems to have veered sharply into the "sport" category. Which I totally respect; it's just not my thing. (Kind of like how I like rhythmic gymnastics better than artistic gymnastics, though I love both.)

Interesting. The men's event is my fave because of the huge athleticism in it. quads and 3A. Ladies I like too. But I wish some would get a pinch more ambitious. Pairs is probably my least fave unfortunately. Though I do quite like it.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
The Dark Game of Hobbit Knight Thrones by Jason Yang; choreo by Bryan Voo Ken Lim

Zhi Ming Tan of MAS is struggling, but his music is beautiful. Totally unexpected segueway between The Hobbit, Game of Thrones, and another soundtrack (probably having to do with Knights, based on the title).

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

There's a lot of variety in men's skating...much moreso than in ladies, I think. Skaters like Daisuke, Adam Rippon, Stephane Lambiel, etc. are beautiful in my eyes (and I do mean their skating, but they aren't bad to look at, either).

Layback11

Record Breaker
Interesting. The men's event is my fave because of the huge athleticism in it. quads and 3A. Ladies I like too. But I wish some would get a pinch more ambitious. Pairs is probably my least fave unfortunately. Though I do quite like it.

Yeah, I definitely appreciate that. As a skater (though not a fraction as good as even the JGP kids!), it amazes me what people can make themselves do on frozen water, LOL. But at the end of the day, there's a reason I watch skating and not football; the thing it has that no other sport does is its beauty. And that is why I love ladies and dance. In ice dance, it's all about the artistry; elements of the other disciplines are utilized to tell a story, and I really love that. (No other sport is truly a theatrical one; for this reason, it could be argued that ice dance isn't a "real" sport-until one actually tries doing it ;)). And ladies is the classic skating discipline-when you say "figure skating" to the average person, it's the discipline they would likely think of. And right now, the technical side is getting continually better (way more 3A attempts, and 3-3s are absolutely necessary to make the top 10 at anything international), so it is, as of now, the discipline that best merges sport and art.

I mostly like pairs because of the people in it. There are some...interesting characters, to say the least! :laugh: Great personalities can really be the thing that draws people in if they're already fans of the sport, me included. But the constant turnover makes it really hard to get invested when the pairs you love are constantly breaking up and repartnering. On lucky occasions, you'll get a pairing even better than the first, but they'll probably break up too...:no: it's truly depressing!

Also, it doesn't hurt that it's all set to music. :thumbsup: :yes:

Layback11

Record Breaker
On a relevant note: oh, dear, velvet bodysuit with sparkly lava flowing down it....

:hopelessness:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
In my mind the name of the game is Men's. Everything else is secondary. That doesn't mean I don't watch all of it - I do - and I follow it all. The difference for me is sitting on the front row at a Nationals practice for Men. The speed and the power when all those men hit the ice at once is a force that I can physically feel and often makes my jaw drop. For me there's nothing like it.

These first skaters really show the affects of high altitude on those who are inexperienced with it.

Last edited:

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Ouch... rough skate for James. It's too bad he couldn't get his jumps under him today. I really like him though. He seems like a great kid who loves to skate! His smile is infectious.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
In my mind the name of the game is Men's. Everything else is secondary. That doesn't mean I don't watch all of it - I do - and I follow it all. The difference for me is sitting on the front row at a Nationals practice for Men. The speed and the power when all those men hit the ice at once is a force that I can physically feel and often makes my jaw drop. For me there's nothing like it.

:thumbsup:

Nam in the chat...things should be fun now :laugh: I wish we could watch every competition on Youtube this way...trolls aside.

James is just so sweet and positive. I guess the altitude must have been a killer for him.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Somebody in live chat just said "somebody ate Jason Brown!"

I don't know what that means but I died laughing :laugh2: :rofl: