2015 JGP Colorado Springs Ladies FS Sep 5 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP Colorado Springs Ladies FS Sep 5

humbaba

Final Flight
To Le and Shiraiwa: close that mouth!! Skating with your mouth wide open does not make you artistic, on the contrary it's distracting and ugly :bang:

Such an unkind comment. I'm sure the open mouths were a response to the high altitude. True, Shiraiwa was gaping like a fish in the last part of her program; but she hung in there and kept hitting her elements. It was a gutsy performance. I so admire her determination and her grit. Shiraiwa absolutely deserved the win, IMHO.

2) Poor Mikhailova. She so deserved to win this :disapp:

I think there might be a case for Valeriya to have made the podium. I'm fine with her PCS marks where they are but it doesn't take too much imagination to find a 4pt difference between her and the 2nd and 3rd place final total scores. Especially when that difference is 100% in PCS marks.

Some judges agree with me and others didn't but I for one probably wouldn't score Vivian higher than low 6's for even a clean skate

Were either of you there in the arena? I'm not trying to be snide. I genuinely am curious about the impressions of those who saw the competition in person. I've read two firsthand reports from people who were actually at the competition. They both mentioned that the two Russian girls were very slow. Vivian is reportedly very fast across the ice and in spins. Speed, of course, is notoriously hard to gauge from streams and video. It could account for some of the difference in PCS.

Also, Mikhailova was not squeaky clean. She got a ! and a <, as she did in the short and at her previous JGP. I think she may be a bit like Mirai, a lovely skater to watch, but her "clean" skates don't always hold up to close scrutiny.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh no I wasn't there. I do agree that it's tough to judge speed and think that is a valid point. I don't think though that PCS discussions are out of line here either. You can get a sense of a skaters P/E,Int, and Ch scores from a video and especially if you are watching multiple performances from the same video source.

Anyway my point wasn't an absolute declaration. I simply have said I wouldn't have scored Vivian as high as her final PCS scores on my scoresheet. Partially I think she is capable of better and to me her aforementioned Compenents were a bit underperformed at this event. Some of the judges who were there agreed with me and marked her scores more in line with my thinking so I'm not sure I'm totally off base.

Just saying that there might be a case for Valeriya doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't a case for Vivian too. I'm not oblivious to the speed and vigor that Vivian brings and am trying to be analytical here. Maybe I should have said that this event was so close that the final placements could have easily been arranged in many different ways and still seemed fair.

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Happy for Yuna! sad for Valeria .

& what a nice finnish skater! Really a void with n Kiira makes me sad, Good luck to her in next comps!

Vivian bleh to me still :slink:

Last edited:

Figureskaterr

Rinkside
I liked the Finnish skater, Anni Järvenpää, a lot! She has improved tremendously since last year. Very nice to see that there are such promising skaters like Anni representing Finland now that Kiira has retired. Lovely interpretation and beautiful jumps :) It will be interesting to see if she will compete at Finlandia Trophy next month! It would be her first senior competition.