2015 Copernicus Stars Free Dance Sep 26 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Copernicus Stars Free Dance Sep 26

Layback11

Record Breaker
To bad C/P made that big mistake in the FD of their first JGP or they might have made the JGPF also and the US would have had 3 teams in.

They might be alternates. 2nd and 4th would beat the double bronze teams.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are judging panels not anonymous in JGP?

Not anonymous at all! They don't scramble their scores or hide their names. It's fun to see how consistent most judges actually are and you get a sense of their scale of values.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yay, Quinn & Lorraine! Polished up several of the rough spots from Colorado Springs & the score reflected it. They are doing their job this season: making a statement. Once again a weak field, but that's certainly not their fault. LOVE their short. Carmen? Sigh. But I think this program is much more mature & artistically complete than the other free dances we saw here--which all felt like a race to the finish to me. This huge score definitely wasn't home field advantage. Can't wait to see M&C go up against L&D and P&V in the Final.

Great competition for C&P as well. No, I don't love their free dance. (Really enjoy their short). But for a team only in their second season together & as juniors, this is a great sign for the future. Two years ago, Anthony was in @5th place after the first compulsory dance in novices at nationals before he and Sarah Feng won the free dance & managed to finish third overall. What a huge leap he has made in only two seasons. I miss Sarah, but I like this new team as well. Think they have loads of potential.

Skoptcova & Aleshin-First time I have seen these two. They actually reminded me of Chock & Bates. Great speed--raced through the elements a hundred miles per hour. Lacked the relationship I usually love within the Russian teams, but I'm assuming S&A are young and have time to develop.

Ghislandi & Ortenzi-Found myself really enjoying this free dance, along with those of you who mentioned it earlier in the thread. Sorry about the fall, but I wasn't at all sorry to see their scores ahead of the previous teams that had skated.

Howland & Malette-Paque: Overall, I thought they was skated with a lot more power & polish here than in Colorado. I think he needs to help sell the program. (She's was doing great; but come on, it's Zorro!). Maybe next time. Sorry about the twizzles here, but I think they've had a strong JGP for themselves.

The Mengs had some beautiful moments.

Is that a new juniors record for FD and total score?

Has to be. Quinn & Lorraine broke the record at their last event, and this just broke it again.

humbaba

Final Flight
Not anonymous at all! They don't scramble their scores or hide their names. It's fun to see how consistent most judges actually are and you get a sense of their scale of values.

Wow. I didn't know that. To think of all the fun I've been missing. :biggrin:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Okay, I think I need to say that. I don't like McNamara/Carpenter, like, AT ALL. I think they're terribly overrated NOW, and their FD is not even close to what Yanovskaya/Mozgov and Hawayek/Baker had in their final junior seasons. BUT, I can definitely see this team on Senior Worlds and maybe even Olympics pedestal in the future. They just need right programms.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, I think I need to say that. I don't like McNamara/Carpenter, like, AT ALL. I think they're terribly overrated NOW, and their FD is not even close to what Yanovskaya/Mozgov and Hawayek/Baker had in their final junior seasons. BUT, I can definitely see this team on Senior Worlds and maybe even Olympics pedestal in the future. They just need right programms.

Say how you really feel, Snow. :)

Glad you got that off your chest.

The judges must've saw something that made them go bonkers. 49 PCS is like senior-level. They must've really stood out from the rest of the competitors. I find when a competitor gets super high PCS, it's usually relative to the rest of the competition. That's why at Senior B's, when you have 1-2 top skaters/couples, those skaters and couples tend to get super high PCS.

I do think M/C were on a league of their own here. They have a lot of power and good edges as well as speed. Ted Barton really responded to their programs, so I think there's probably something one has to see to fully appreciate them. I don't love the FD, but I really enjoy their SD.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Smile. And I thought Y&M and H&B were overrated. I much prefer McNamara & Carpenter, Loboda & Drozd, and Popova & Vlasenko to both of those teams. (Though I don't believe in comparing scores across competitions, much less seasons). But the beautiful thing about all of these teams making a statement for themselves on the junior circuit is that the members may stick together long enough to forge a long-term career in seniors. And then we could have the joy of watching them battle against each other far into the future!