Who's Going to Worlds? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who's Going to Worlds?

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I am going and am even more excited now the GP season has started and I have started seeing the quality I am going to see in person. This will be my first FS live experience and I can't wait! Starting with a bang! :cheer:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I forgot to say that I made my schedule out for next semester so that I can leave at 11:20 to go to the airport and land hopefully in time to be able to be there before the start of the men's FP.

salchowx4

On the Ice
I'll be there. The husband is joining me, so that adds to the cost a bit, but considering we live relatively close to the arena, it'll be dirt cheap compared to what some will be paying.

hpfaff

Spectator
I am planning on volunteering at Worlds and also have tickets. I will be by myself and am looking for others who may want to go together to share accommodations. I am trying to get a place within walking distance of TD Garden or close to subway system that will get me there so I will not have to rent a car. We will not find out whether we are chosen until January. Would be interested in knowing of anyone that has hopes of volunteering.

charmblade

Final Flight
I am planning on volunteering at Worlds and also have tickets. I will be by myself and am looking for others who may want to go together to share accommodations. I am trying to get a place within walking distance of TD Garden or close to subway system that will get me there so I will not have to rent a car. We will not find out whether we are chosen until January. Would be interested in knowing of anyone that has hopes of volunteering.

I chose not to volunteer for this time around because I was afraid of potentially missing events. I was a volunteer for 2014 Nationals in Boston, and it was a really great experience, but I think I got lucky that all my shifts were at the beginning of the week, when the novice and intermediate comps were happening. I talked to other volunteers who were going to have to miss attending the senior events because that's when their shifts were so I was nervous that for Worlds, with a shorter schedule, I might miss events. But volunteering was really fun and I got to see many skaters "behind-the-scenes" so to speak, so you should have a fabulous time! And I remember being afraid I wouldn't get picked as a volunteer for that event because I had no prior experience and didn't know anyone at the local organizing committee, but I think almost everyone who wanted to volunteer was able to do so because they need a lot of people. So hopefully you will get picked! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well I forgot to say that I made my schedule out for next semester so that I can leave at 11:20 to go to the airport and land hopefully in time to be able to be there before the start of the men's FP.

Great! You'll be able to come join us to watch Brendan, Jason, Joshua and Max all slayyyyyyyyy! ;)

As charmblade suggested, these types of events need bucketloads of volunteers, and not just the high-profile types like the announcer. I reckon you'll be in with a good shot.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great! You'll be able to come join us to watch Brendan, Jason, Joshua and Max all slayyyyyyyyy! ;)

As charmblade suggested, these types of events need bucketloads of volunteers, and not just the high-profile types like the announcer. I reckon you'll be in with a good shot.

IF I can go. There wasn't an automatic no yet....which is a good sign. I would love to go so I can see Yuzuru skate and finally be able to give him the Pooh hat I made him.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I'm leaving on Tues night after work from NY, also going alone (sister was going to come but decided not to b/c of her Teas exam). Thought about taking Amtrak but the airfares ended up being cheaper and the travel time was also a lot shorter so I went with the airlines.

My seats are in section 4, but depending on what becomes available once the single sessions open up, I might have a few tickets I want to sell. Hoping to get closer seats in the middle section for the mens FS and maybe the ladies FS....but that depends on the price.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Who is skating from Australia and NZ

I don't know if New Zealand have anyone.

Brendan will almost certainly be there for Australia, barring major disaster (touch wood) - I'm not sure if Andrew got the TES minimums during his whizz around Europe, though I know he has the 4CCs ones and might get them at that comp.

It'll be between Brooklee and Kailani for the ladies' spot and to be honest I'd send Kailani to Jr Worlds and Brooklee to Worlds, that way they both have great opportunities to earn ranking points. But we'll see how Nationals goes.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if New Zealand have anyone.

Brendan will almost certainly be there for Australia, barring major disaster (touch wood) - I'm not sure if Andrew got the TES minimums during his whizz around Europe, though I know he has the 4CCs ones and might get them at that comp.

It'll be between Brooklee and Kailani for the ladies' spot and to be honest I'd send Kailani to Jr Worlds and Brooklee to Worlds, that way they both have great opportunities to earn ranking points. But we'll see how Nationals goes.

Clear your private messages!

hpfaff

Spectator
I chose not to volunteer for this time around because I was afraid of potentially missing events. I was a volunteer for 2014 Nationals in Boston, and it was a really great experience, but I think I got lucky that all my shifts were at the beginning of the week, when the novice and intermediate comps were happening. I talked to other volunteers who were going to have to miss attending the senior events because that's when their shifts were so I was nervous that for Worlds, with a shorter schedule, I might miss events. But volunteering was really fun and I got to see many skaters "behind-the-scenes" so to speak, so you should have a fabulous time! And I remember being afraid I wouldn't get picked as a volunteer for that event because I had no prior experience and didn't know anyone at the local organizing committee, but I think almost everyone who wanted to volunteer was able to do so because they need a lot of people. So hopefully you will get picked! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I volunteered at 2014 Nationals but took the 6AM shift so I would be able to catch most of the events. I was with Hospitality and they were great. I've volunteered before and have enjoyed each time. I just got my request for a background check; so, I guess if they are going to that expense, I must be picked. Nationals is also more jam packed with all the different levels. Worlds is more laid back. I live in Georgia, and at the 2014 Nationals I experienced the coldest I have ever been in my life which has been very long!

charmblade

Final Flight
I volunteered at 2014 Nationals but took the 6AM shift so I would be able to catch most of the events. I was with Hospitality and they were great. I've volunteered before and have enjoyed each time. I just got my request for a background check; so, I guess if they are going to that expense, I must be picked. Nationals is also more jam packed with all the different levels. Worlds is more laid back. I live in Georgia, and at the 2014 Nationals I experienced the coldest I have ever been in my life which has been very long!

Haha, I feel you on the cold. I live in Boston now but I grew up in Tennessee and that winter of 2014 was my first winter in Boston. I thought it was bad but this past winter was a million times worse.

yuzushenko

On the Ice
I'm planning on going but I still haven't bought tickets. I wasn't sure if I should buy Balcony seats because I'm afraid it will be too far away to see the skating well. So I decided to apply to be a volunteer. I'm from the West Coast so unfortunately I'm not sure if I have a good chance of getting picked as a volunteer, since they'll probably choose Skating Club of Boston people. But if I'm lucky enough to be chosen, that could give me 2 free balcony tickets. If that happens, I would probably buy some better seats for the ladies and men's FS and use the balcony tickets for the ladies and men's SP. Or buy 3 good seats and use the volunteer tickets for the Gala and one of the SPs.

Did anybody here go to Nationals 2014 and sit in the balcony? Was it worth it or is it better to splurge on better seats?

I know individual good seats (not front row, but in the bowl) will probably be very expensive. $695/8 events = ~$87. I'm expecting the individual tickets will cost a bit more than this, since all-event tickets are usually at a better price than individual tickets... So around ~$260 if I decide to buy 3 individual tickets for the men/ladies SP/FS. I know all event balcony tickets are $250 but I don't mind paying $260 if I can get better seats for the events I care about the most. I do love dance and pairs but I don't think the competition will be as excited for those categories since those results are a bit more obvious.

But if I do buy individual tickets, I'm afraid that I won't be able to get a practice ticket either. It's so hard to decide!! If I get to volunteer, I was hoping the volunteer credential lets you watch the practices, at least the ones at TD garden. But I would have to wait til January to know if I get chosen or not, and by then I'm afraid the tickets might be sold out or that the prices will go up.

Any advice? This will be my first skating event.

I too am planning on using Airbnb. I originally planned on a hotel, but then I discovered Airbnb lol. But who knows, I may decide to splurge on a hotel. The experience sounds fun! And I'll be traveling alone so it's probably best to be in a hotel. I would love to meet more skating fans, though.

Last edited:

Bonnie F

On the Ice
Hubby and I are going, which probably means I'll be on my own for afternoon sessions. Still need to by airline tickets, planning to do that in Jan. Staying at the Double Tree.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm planning on going but I still haven't bought tickets. I wasn't sure if I should buy Balcony seats because I'm afraid it will be too far away to see the skating well. So I decided to apply to be a volunteer. I'm from the West Coast so unfortunately I'm not sure if I have a good chance of getting picked as a volunteer, since they'll probably choose Skating Club of Boston people. But if I'm lucky enough to be chosen, that could give me 2 free balcony tickets. If that happens, I would probably buy some better seats for the ladies and men's FS and use the balcony tickets for the ladies and men's SP. Or buy 3 good seats and use the volunteer tickets for the Gala and one of the SPs.

Did anybody here go to Nationals 2014 and sit in the balcony? Was it worth it or is it better to splurge on better seats?

I know individual good seats (not front row, but in the bowl) will probably be very expensive. $695/8 events = ~$87. I'm expecting the individual tickets will cost a bit more than this, since all-event tickets are usually at a better price than individual tickets... So around ~$260 if I decide to buy 3 individual tickets for the men/ladies SP/FS. I know all event balcony tickets are $250 but I don't mind paying $260 if I can get better seats for the events I care about the most. I do love dance and pairs but I don't think the competition will be as excited for those categories since those results are a bit more obvious.

But if I do buy individual tickets, I'm afraid that I won't be able to get a practice ticket either. It's so hard to decide!! If I get to volunteer, I was hoping the volunteer credential lets you watch the practices, at least the ones at TD garden. But I would have to wait til January to know if I get chosen or not, and by then I'm afraid the tickets might be sold out or that the prices will go up.

Any advice? This will be my first skating event.

I too am planning on using Airbnb. I originally planned on a hotel, but then I discovered Airbnb lol. But who knows, I may decide to splurge on a hotel. The experience sounds fun! And I'll be traveling alone so it's probably best to be in a hotel. I would love to meet more skating fans, though.

My experience is probably a little different, but I chose to buy an all event ticket on the thinking as thus: "I am flying to the other side of the world for this event, I am going to see as much of it as possible!"

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
To anyone that has ordered online: Once you proceed to checkout, you're supposed to input your seating request, but I don't understand how you view which individual seats are available. :confused: Is there a second map or picture I'm missing completely? Sorry if I am being an airhead here.. :palmf: