Mai Mihara | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mai Mihara

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a start to the season for Mai! Loved her FS. Everything seemed light and airy, she exuded confidence, and I loved her costume. Congratulations Mai!

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Mai for great SP and new PB!! she was amazing!! i wish she would perform more esp during stsq, i think since its her SP from last season she should be more comfortable performing it, hopefully it will come, looking at how she is doing she has good chance of making world team, and Chris from BESP said she reminds him of Patrick when it comes to SS, obviously she has a long way to go but thats a great compliment!!
and here is her SP with BESP commentary : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCbZgomGnc

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
not the perofrmance she hopen for but she still did very good, she could have add 2t2lo after 3s but she will learn to adjust herself with experience, btw she is one of only 3 ppl to get level 4 on her stsq!! :clap: other 2 are Courtney and Joshi, i added the videos i can find of her programs with different commentaries to her OP so that you can enjoy this lovely little princess :luv17:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Still sad, she didn't medal, but she's definitely raising in senior ranks :hap10: I can see her making it to the podium at Japanese Nationals :)

bj80alex

Rinkside
Count me as a fan of her. I rarely fall in love with a skater so quickly after just watching a couple of his/her programs, but I am just so impressed by her great skating skills and the soft knee bend of all the landings. Her landings remind me of Oda's trademark soft and easy landings.:love:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Mai's so charming and I love her fast and powerful skating exuding from her tiny form. Very enjoyable to watch.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I am still sad she couldn't medal but overall great senior debut, I was so impressed when Besp commentators compared her to Patrick, the way she generates speed is mind blowing .Can't wait to see her at Nationals she has a good chance to podium and get WC spot now that Mao is injured and Rika isn't at her best either. This year Japanese world team can easily be Satoko, Wakaba and Mai I think...

kalee

On the Ice
Congrats Mai on making it to 3rd alternate for GPF (ahead of Wakaba in the standings). Very well done for a first senior GP season!

Last edited:

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
I am still sad she couldn't medal but overall great senior debut, I was so impressed when Besp commentators compared her to Patrick, the way she generates speed is mind blowing .Can't wait to see her at Nationals she has a good chance to podium and get WC spot now that Mao is injured and Rika isn't at her best either. This year Japanese world team can easily be Satoko, Wakaba and Mai I think...

I thinik, that Japanese team roster this year is very unpredictable - Satoko, Rika, Mai, Wakaba, Yura, Mao, Yuka... any three of these can easily be in Team Japan roster.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Mai for her bronze medal at nationals!!!! :yahoo::hap57::love: she was very emotional after her lp and it is normal considering she was watching nationals last year from hospital room, she has come a long way!! i hope they (better!) will send her to worlds cause she earned it

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I am so happy for Ma,i watched her LP now with tears in my eyes. Such a fighter. I am so happy that she was selected for WC and 4CC :sad21: (sorry I am all in emotions knowing how much she had to overcome last year).

treeloving

Medalist
I am so glad she makes it to world team, especially reading about her fight back from illness :yahoo: She is so natural.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy for Mai! Big Congratulations! I love both of her programs, especially the SP.

mikaboo

Medalist
Congratulations to Mai for the bronze medal and being on the 4CC/Worlds team :hap85: Her reaction in the K&C was so very cute.

I've been decluttering my desktop this week and found this translation summary I did for a video about Mai which I don't think I posted anywhere. It’s from before CoC and Nobu is introducing her on a local TV program. (He cries halfway through from around 5:00 :sad21:)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x528g3q_11-15-すぽ_sport

Summary:
After Skate America, people that she’s never talked to before at her school started to recognize her.
She started skating in 2nd grade after she watched Mao on TV. She couldn’t believe that she was skating at the same rink as Mao at Skate America and she asked her for a photo together. Mao congratulated her and was really nice, just as she thought.

After JGPF last season, she found out that she had Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (若年性突発性関節炎). The illness took Mai by surprise, she was in so much pain that she could hardly walk and wasn’t sure if she'd be able to skate again. Watching Nationals from the hospital bed motivated her to return to skating again.
According to Coach Nakano, Mai could hardly walk before JGPF so she suggested that she withdraw from it, but Mai was determined to skate so she went along thinking that this could be the last time for her. Mai struggles sometimes when the weather is bad or her physical condition isn’t good but their determination to make it work fires her up.
Mai’s goal is to be the OGM at PyeongChang but she realizes that she is still lacking in many areas so she wishes to overcome her weaknesses and have more confidence to say that she wants to make it to the Olympics.

As he cries, Nobu says that for 1 skipped day of practice, figure skaters need 3 days to return to where they were so he guesses how anxious she must have felt during the time she couldn’t practice. She doesn’t want to make her illness as an excuse for not skating well even though nobody would blame her if she did. She is mentally strong, loves skating and wants to keep on improving.

Mai thinks that she doesn’t have any particular characteristic to her skating but she tries to look at each and every person in the audience. Her question to Nobu is what his secret is to draw the audience in to his skating.
Nobu watched her performance live at Skate America and thinks that her skating is already drawing in the audience. He has no advice regarding her techniques, but if there is one thing he could give advice on is to add more variety to her facial expressions.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thank you so much mikaboo!!!!! :love::thank: 1st of all, Nobu please dont ever change! :cry::luv17:
she is tiny but such a strong athlete, she thought she might not skate again but never gave up and she had amazing season, its sad that she is still struggling :sad21:
i hope she will have more confident in herself cause she is special, i think her most important asset is her softness and flow, so many commentators such as Tracy, Kurt and Carol mentioned how she gains speed effortlessly and how relaxed she is at landings, i understand why some people think her programs are juniorish (i dont agree though ) but actually her programs are very detailed with elements matching music perfectly (steps before 3F and 2A and landing them with music, timing of the 1st spin and position changes :luv17:) and jumps with very little set up (that loop and sal at lp :love:), i hope she will have programs that will showcase her strengths more (and no more ponytail :biggrin:)