Mai Mihara | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mai Mihara

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy for Mai. She just oozed joy and confidence. Really look forward to seeing more of her in the future.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Mai-chan! I'm soo happy for you! I think I feel another sketch coming on.
-But much later. I'm so busy right now. I barely had time to watch the last group of ladies but it was worth it! You made it worth it. :agree:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
What an uplifting story and journey she has had. The joy she expressed in the FS just take on a whole new context once I read her story of what she had to overcome to get to this point!

I personally don't mind this so called 'juniors' FS program as it was delightful and enchanting. It is refreshing to see some skaters not afraid to skate age appropriate instead falling for other carmen cliche to show emotions type of feigned maturity. A cinderella moment indeed - belle of the ball. Japanese youngsters, Marin, Yuna, Wakaba and Mai. So many potentials...

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Totally agree. Seems that for every skater's first year as a senior, we always hear about how junior-ish they are. But I thought her Cinderella program had a very sweet charm to it. Really, can you imagine Mai trying to skate to some sexy type thing?! I appreciate more that she's skating as the young lady that she is. I am sure she will grow in her artistry as she gains more experience. It is so admirable the way she comes out and doesn't seem to let nerves get to her. Saw her for the first time at Skate America and just fell in love with her!

aynia

On the Ice
I'm happy for Mai. This season she started off with winning Nebelhorn Trophy, then did well in the Grand Prix series and now gold at 4CC - well done! I'm looking forward to seeing her at Worlds.

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
Congratulations, Mai! :clap: :clap: I'm so happy for her :hap10:

Here are some articles:

Mai, Mai, Mai: Mihara rides 'Cinderella' free to title
"It feels unbelievable," said the new champion, who was emotional upon receiving the gold medal. "It's great that I finally became Cinderella on the ice. I know this is the venue for the next Olympics, and I was thinking about it a lot. My goal here was to skate clean both in the short and free and finish my programs with a smile.

"I always watch the national flag rise and hear the national anthem in figure skating competitions on TV, but today, this happens because I won," she continued. "It feels great and unbelievable to experience this in the venue that's going to host the Olympics."

Japan’s Mai Mihara mines gold in 4CCs debut
Mihara was an up and coming junior skater last season who made it to the Junior Final in December 2015. However, following this event, she was diagnosed with arthritis.

"A year ago, at this time I couldn’t even stand up and walk, and to be able to compete at the Four Continents and to be selected for the World team is something just incredible," the 16-year-old said following her clean short program that put her into fourth place.

She overcame the painful illness and came back stronger than ever, giving solid performances throughout the season. The "Cinderella" free was no exception. Once more, the petite Japanese put out a flawless program with seven triples to score 134.34 points and 200.85 points overall. And so, her fairy tale story became true: Like "Cinderella," she rose from the ashes to triumph.

"I find it hard to believe that I won," said Mihara. "It’s great that I finally became the Cinderella on the ice. My goal here was to skate clean both in the short and free and finish my programs with a smile. I’m glad I was able to achieve that."

"I didn’t pick the music myself, but when I decided to return to the ice, I wanted something with a happy ending and I told my coach that," she explained. "The reason I was able to come back so strong from the illness is the support from many people that were surrounding me, and also due to my will of wanting to be on the ice and skate again. I could not have done it alone. I want to thank all the people who helped me to get here."

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
I wish this young lady the best of luck. She is charming and has lots of potential. I admire her spirit.

rosacotton

Final Flight
I am so happy for Mai! Her skate was full of lightness, sweetness, such joy. I think this is an appropriate program for her (not trying to pull off a "mature" program at this time), it is lovely, and I'm huge fan of Patrick Doyle's Cinderella score. And her reaction at her scores was so adorable.

She caught my eye at Skate America, here she made me a fan, and I look forward to watching her grow as a skater. :luv17:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
she is a breath of fresh air in the ladies skating. Love her. Can't wait to see her develop.

LRK

Record Breaker
I was so pleased to see that Mai had won - I thought she was being overlooked and underestimated, and I felt that maybe now she'll be given her due.

However...

Now I'm starting to feel a bit... miffed, quite honestly, at all the references I'm seeing that she needs to be "polished" and "mature" and skate to "heavier" music, and someone said she should try to be like Satoko. Why? There is already one Satoko - her name is, surprisingly enough, Satoko. Mai doesn't need to try to be a second-rate copy of Satoko when she can be a first-rate version of Mai.

It's as if there are only two ways a skater can be "mature" in people's minds - the Lyrical Arteest or the Sassy Siren. I'm not "knocking" those styles - one or other of them suit some skaters admirably - but why only these? I have no wish to see Mai flutter her eyelashes flirtatiously or stare soulfully into the middle distance as if she were suffering from a life-long sorrow.

Mai is bright & airy, joyful & vivacious, and should skate to music that enhance those qualities in her - not try to become somebody else.

For example, this is my "choice" of Two Steps piece for her:

Evergreen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ1y_Z6Bc0M

Or the soundtrack for

Little Dorrit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TSqpKH8vHE

Sorry about this little rant, but I needed the relief of getting it off my chest.

Anyway, congratulations to Mai.:)

bj80alex

Rinkside
So happy for her win in 4cc, I just love her effortless jumps and amazing skating skills that cannot be found from any of the Russian girls. My dream podium of the Worlds would be: Kostner, Mai, and Osmond, though it is not likely to happen.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Good Luck to Mai for worlds!!! from practice reports she looks to be in good form and hitting those jumps :yahoo: hopefully she will have even better performances during competition and enjoy her very 1st worlds experience :hap10::dance:

Meoima

Match Penalty
My friend at WC says she is in great form. And that she looks amazing live. :clap:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
WOW WHAT A COMEBACK!!!! :yahoo::hap57::hap85: so proud of you Mai, you did everything you could :luv17: it was such a freak fall at SP but she came back with a bang! silver lining is that even if she landed 3F at SP she would have been 4th (one can argue that she still deserved it but oh well :biggrin:), and her TES is 2nd highest of the night after Evgenia's!! if she works on her spins more and stays consistent you can bet it will be higher (not gonna say anything about PCS though, cause judges will not give her 76+ :slink:)

liv

Record Breaker
I said it earlier at 4cc, but I adore this girl. I think she has such huge potential and to show mental toughness to skate clean and climb up like that? Wow. Excellent. Keep working, Mai, you will only get better.

Plumededragon

Medalist
I was very happy for her amazing coming back, but also feel sad now because Japan will only have two spots for the ladies for the next Olympics. Except for a disaster in coming, a healthy Satoko is in best position for one of the spots. The competition will be extra tough for that 2nd spot. So far, Mai is in better position for it, but let's not forget that juniors will go up too, Marin Honda included. Next year GP season and Nationals will be insane!

marlet

Rinkside
Congratulations Mai, I knew you were going to fight in the free, so happy for you!!!!:clap:

AnCho

Rinkside
Good fight Mai. Her tough mentality and dedication are admirable. Her ability to put bad short performance behind and come back full force in the free reminds me of the quality that I also see, and admire as well, from Satoko. It's not easy to fight an uphill battle but she did and kudos for her :agree:. If Mai can keep this strong mentality in addition to her skating ability, I think she can go far too as, in my personal opinion, being able to perform well under intense pressure is one of, if not the most important requirements to succeed for competitive athletes.

I really like Mai's habit (?)putting her hands below her chin at the end of her performance l. I think i saw it in 4cc and WC (or maybe it's part of the choreo? :scratch2: . anyway, she looks so sweet when she did that. Overall very impressive result from Mai Mihara. Have a good rest before preparing for the next season :agree:

The Finn

Record Breaker
Her FS TES score was very impressive 74.40 points - 6th highest of any lady and less than 0.5 points behind Satoko who has the 5th highest FS TES score. Satoko has the highest FS TES among Japanese skaters.

Last edited: