Kaori Sakamoto | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kaori Sakamoto

Alifyre

On the Ice
I just went back and rewatched Kaori's free skate from Rostelecom and was really moved by her expressiveness in the Amelie program, that one performance made me an instant fan! Hoping she can go totally clean at Skate America! Gambatte Kaori!

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
^ I also adore her program, the way she expresses herself, and the originality of it! I will be rooting for her this weekend!

Alifyre

On the Ice
Congratulations to Kaori to a well-earned silver at Skate America!! She skated so well, and was so adorable in the K&C! Love seeing excitement out of skaters. While I've seen crit for her miming, I honestly feel like Kaori is a very genuine young woman and the way she presents her programs is from the heart.

Man, Japanese nationals is going to be intense with all these talented ladies competing for only 2 spots! Kaori is making a case for herself now to be one of the two (although it will be hard to beat out the likes of Higuchi and Miyahara), so I'll keep my fingers crossed for her!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Wonderful performances from Kaori at Skate America! Well deserved medal, and smashed her PB by about 15 points!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Kaori was amazing. Love her reactions. I hate miming but her free was wonderful, the music is great. She have high chances of podium at nationals.

Alifyre

On the Ice
Good luck to Kaori in the nationals this weekend! I can't wait to see another rendition of that beautiful Amelie program. Go get your medal bb!! :cheer:

Alifyre

On the Ice
Congratulations to Kaori for being in first place in the short program at Japanese Nationals!! She really brought every aspect to the table -- great speed, lovely edges, huge jumps, and a nice performance. So glad to see her so happy afterwards too! She's such a sweet girl, I love seeing how excited she gets over high scores. I don't think she was expecting to do so well, which may be why she hardly seems nervous at all. I hope she holds it together to give us an equally lovely free skate on Saturday! Kaori Sakamoto for the Olympic team!!

(A link for those who didn't get to watch it live)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I hope she can skate a perfect Amelie. No matter where she ends up she's a winner in my book already!

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
She was just amazing, breathtaking SP ! I hope she will nail that LP too !! :luv17:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
She was sort of the dark horse coming into the season but she has made herself known especially today with that wonderful SP.

I will say it again I wish Japan had 3 spots. I like all of the ladies and will be OK with the selection as imo they are all worthy of a spot
but also I will be heartbroken for those ladies left off the team.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I’m so happy that Kaori is finally getting the recognition that she always deserved. She’s always been an amazing technician and has made some improvements in her artistry, yet she was overlooked many times, even during her junior days. The surprise silver at Skate America followed by a 1st-place finish in the SP at Nationals should be more than enough to get her on the radar. I hope that she can present her best tomorrow in the FS to make a case for an Olympic spot! :cheer2:

Alifyre

On the Ice
I was wondering if there were any kind Japanese speakers who would be willing to give a summary of what Kaori says in her post-skate interview? I'd love to hear from her directly, but alas, my Japanese is still very poor.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I was wondering if there were any kind Japanese speakers who would be willing to give a summary of what Kaori says in her post-skate interview? I'd love to hear from her directly, but alas, my Japanese is still very poor.

Just roughly:
Kaori said she was REALLY nervous upon entering the arena, even when she was riding on the car from hotel to the arena. She's glad that she can execute each element well and did her best. (Reporter asked about putting all 3 jumps in the 2nd half:) Kaori replied that she's happy she didn't miss any of the jump. As for the FS, she said she'll do her best to execute each element, she hopes she can make it to the podium!

Alifyre

On the Ice
Just roughly:
Kaori said she was REALLY nervous upon entering the arena, even when she was riding on the car from hotel to the arena. She's glad that she can execute each element well and did her best. (Reporter asked about putting all 3 jumps in the 2nd half:) Kaori replied that she's happy she didn't miss any of the jump. As for the FS, she said she'll do her best to execute each element, she hopes she can make it to the podium!

Wow, she was really nervous? I suppose re-watching her performance I can see her taking a number of calming breaths beforehand, but she really didn't skate like she was nervous! Good for her for keeping her nerves under control. Honestly my biggest worry with her was because she wasn't expecting to be a contender for the Olympic spot she might not be as nervous as the other girls, and would crumble under the increased pressure for the free. Hearing this, however, actually makes me feel better for the free. If she could skate a short like that with her nerves fraying, then I think I can trust her to hold her nerves down for her lovely Amelie skate.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Kaori was SO cute, she kept on saying 'yabai' after getting off K&C even at the backstage.

Here's another report I just came across: https://sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/detail/201712220003-spnavi I won't have time to provide any detail explanation. But it talks about how she trains with Coach Nakano to hold everything and practices in constant.

It came to me after watching ladies' SP: Kaori was the winner of junior nationals last season (in which she placed over Marin and Yuna). Turning into senior this season, she's probably the 'luckier' one by the GP competition assignments: the very 1st and very last competitions. But this didn't mean she has an easier schedule - since Kaori is moving up senior domestically, she also had to went through regional and sectional. And her winning at both local competitions may be the key to help her gaining confidence, along with the top placement at SA. (Adding: both Marin and Yuna had side-by-side GPs, but the timing also had both got exemption from local competitions).

I still remember watching Kaori LIVE at JWC earlier this year. She might not have the X-factor as Marin, but she had very nice flow in her skating and strong jumps. It's simply a joy to watch how she has grown and improved so far. Making it to the Olympic team or not, I think (and hope) she'll be one of the major force in the future of Japanese ladies'.

Alifyre

On the Ice
Google says 'yabai' means dangerous, but I don't feel like that's what she means here based on how excited she was. What does it mean in this context?

Yes, Kaori keeps getting better and better! I think she'll be one of Japan's top ladies, and I can't wait for them to have 3 spots back so I can she can compete alongside her many other stunning countrywomen. This two spots thing has me so stressed out!!

klutzonice

Rinkside
I searched yabai on Google as well. This article seems to indicate that for young people, it's a go-to term as an expletive, or to mean 'crazy!' or 'amazing!' or just 'super'. Something like that.

I wish I worked harder at learning Japanese... So many fantastic articles and comments out there!

Anyway, I want to wish Kaori the best of luck tomorrow! She seems to be a very determined but level-headed competitor so I'm sure we'll see a wonderful skate from her.