Kaori Sakamoto | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Kaori Sakamoto

charlotte14

Medalist
I was afraid she would be robbed. But in the end I am glad she gets the spot. I was really impressed with her SP at Moscow.

SkyFall

Match Penalty
All other things remaining the same, I think the only way that Sakamoto is chosen for the Olympics is if Rika Kihira finishes third.

Kihira finishes 1st:Nobody gets the automatic pick, so overall performance is the only consideration for both picks. Obviously Miyahara is chosen, but Sakamoto losing to a junior and finishing only one place above Higuchi is not enough to overcome Higuchi's total body of work.

Kihira finishes 2nd:Basically the same situation. Miyahara gets the automatic pick, Sakamoto losing to a junior and finishing only one place above Higuchi is not enough to overcome Higuchi's total body of work.

Kihira finishes 4th or lower: Higuchi makes the podium for the fourth straight year, and Sakamoto probably doesn't distinguish herself enough to take her spot.

Kihira finishes 3rd: We know for sure what happens here. I guess that having a two spot lead and Higuchi getting kicked off the podium for the first time ever by a mere junior was the definitive margin Sakamoto needed to pull ahead.

Liasky

Rinkside
All other things remaining the same, I think the only way that Sakamoto is chosen for the Olympics is if Rika Kihara finishes third.

Kihira finishes 1st:Nobody gets the automatic pick, so overall performance is the only consideration for both picks. Obviously Miyahara is chosen, but Sakamoto losing to a junior and finishing only one place above Higuchi is not enough to overcome Higuchi's total body of work.

Kihira finishes 2nd:Basically the same situation. Miyahara gets the automatic pick, Sakamoto losing to a junior and finishing only one place above Higuchi is not enough to overcome Higuchi's total body of work.

Kihira finishes 4th or lower: Higuchi makes the podium for the fourth straight year, and Sakamoto probably doesn't distinguish herself enough to take her spot.

Kihira finishes 3rd: We know for sure what happens here. I guess that having a two spot lead and Higuchi getting kicked off the podium for the first time ever by a mere junior was the definitive margin Sakamoto needed to pull ahead.

That is a great analysis. I also think like that too.

Before the competition starts, I think that if Miyahara or Higuchi finished 3rd, she would still qualify.

Thanks to Rika Kihira, who had a great performance, and she is in the perfect spot in order to Kaori's qualification.

I really like Kaori, Kihira and Mai. :)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
All other things remaining the same, I think the only way that Sakamoto is chosen for the Olympics is if Rika Kihara finishes third.

Ineresting perspective, and you're probably right. Which is all the more tragic for Wakaba - it's like the "perfect storm": her own mistakes + injury + so many others peaking at exactly the right time.

Not that I'd say Kihira or anyone else was responsible for Wakaba's failure, or Kaori's success... both their fates were decided by their own conditions and performances - Wakaba made mistakes for whatever reasons, and Kaori gave the skate of her life...

Alifyre

On the Ice
Here is two tv reports about Kaori
1st
2nd

Translation of some of Kaori's comments courtesy of medoroa:

The first video is really cute, she says spins is her best element after the jumps and the reporter asks her what she's thinking while she spins. She replies "nothing/nil/zero", and when he asks her if there's any romance in her life right now she laughs and looks shy and says "Nothing!" again.

In the second video she says she wants a single-digit placement at the olympics. They make a big deal out of her being a fan of comedians and that she's the type to try to make people laugh (because she's from the Kansai district, which in terms of Japanese stereotypes means she's funny). She then talks about jumps being her favorite element and that when she was a kid her mother would scold her for not walking properly because she wanted to be jumping all the time. She used to be a swimmer so she also has a lot of leg muscles.

She's being super cute but there are about 50 reporters watching her morning practice and she says she's not used to the cameras yet. I feel bad for her and hope it won't turn out to be too much pressure, to be honest.

I'm really hoping the media pressure doesn't get to Kaori, it must feel very odd to be so suddenly thrust into the spotlight! Overall though, I think these interviews give a very good sense of her positive, bubbly personality which I hope will carry her through all the pressure. I love that she loves comedy!

I always get a sense of earnest genuineness when I see Kaori speak or perform, it's so refreshing to see a young skater who is so true to who she is and seems to have fun with her sport. I really hope going forward she gets some programs that play into that -- I think her performance skills could be notched up even further if her choreographers explore the quirky side of her personality more!

Alifyre

On the Ice
I can't believe it's already the week of 4CC! I am so excited to see how Kaori is holding up under olympic pressure, I really hope she nabs a medal here! I even have my fingers crossed for gold, because with her tech she might even be able to challenge Miyahara.

Here's a link to a cute report the Japanese media did on Kaori leading up to 4CC! Sweet little segment about her training with Mai towards the end, plus some other stuff. My Japanese isn't good so I can't give a summary beyond that, but it was still worth checking out!

Gambatte Kaori!! :yahoo:

Alifyre

On the Ice
Any word on how practice has gone for Kaori today? I read in her fanfest that Satoko was struggling with an issue in her foot today and it made me wonder how Kaori is handling her foot pain. I was so nervous having read about her breaking down in tears in practice a few days ago (my heart was pounding in my ears during her whole program), but her performance yesterday put my worries to rest! I was very impressed by the security Kaori had in her jumps yesterday, and hope that the issue has been handled so she can stay in top form for her free. I know people are really split on Kaori's free and if they like her choreo and interpretation, but frankly I personally think it's one of the best ladies' free programs of the season. Hopefully she can keep her nerves calm and hit all her jumps so the rest of the quirkiness of the program can really shine through!

Alifyre

On the Ice
Congratulations to Kaori for her first ISU senior gold -- and at such a big event too! She didn't even have a perfect skate today -- two level 3 spins means she still has upward trajectory left in her that could bring her even higher scores at the Olympics! Can't wait to see it!

TMC

Record Breaker
I'm so happy for Kaori!!! Her FS is my favourite this season :love:

kptnciam

Rinkside
Congrats to Kaori !!! She’s the japanese skater I like the most, together with Rika Hongo, so I’m so happy for her !!! Good luck in PC !!!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Great result for Kaori... she is surely FULL of confidence now, riding the wave... and all fired up for the Olympics!

And these two together are just priceless... :-D

randomfan

Record Breaker
Big congrats to Kaori! I’ve been watching her since her junior days so it’s great to see that she’s among the top now!