Yuna Shiraiwa | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Yuna Shiraiwa

Tsuki

Rinkside
I must say I was really surprised when her tech score dropped. I liked her program more than Kaori's yesterday.

Oh same here! I thought her skating was so confident and the jumps so well landed (though I can't really tell UR's unless it's obvious, I didn't think her jumps were very UR).

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I should add that I didn't know Yuna till GP Helsinki at all, but instantly started to like her at first sight and I very like Pictures at an Exhibition :luv17: ( so maybe I'm not so objective)

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm so proud of Yuna for producing two good skates at Helsinki! I hope this is a promising start to the season.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In case any of you were curious about the CBC commentary for her GP Helsinki LP, it's at the 1:33 mark (the password is women): https://vimeo.com/296555402 Her SP wasn't broadcast on Canadian television.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yuna's in Rostelecom!! I hope her success at Helsinki inspires her to do even better this time! :hap10:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
ahh yes I'm so glad she got picked!

sakurano

Final Flight
very happy that she got a second place grand prix both programs are fine, we want to smile with her.

She may be weak technically but I'm glad we start to see her in great competitions like the Grand Prix. last year she was fighting against URs and injuries but I feel that this year everything will change, she can be proud of what she has accomplished.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I've just updated Yuna's OP. I've added ther esults table, program info, bio info an das many videos as I could find. Enjoy :)

medoroa

On the Ice
Just watched her SP at Gensan. Very, very excited about how she'll digest it and develop it during the season. :luv17: I absolutely loved her All Aboard because it was so different and fun, but my favorite SP of hers is still Girl with the Flaxen Hair, so a return to that type of soft piano composition makes me happy as well! I felt she lacked a bit of lightness of her feet to match the feel of the music better, but it's still early in the season and she said she just recovered from a cold, so I'm sure she'll continue to get better. Love the knee bend and increase of speed after the 2A. 3T seemed a bit borderline in slow-mo but we'll see how she gets called at international competitions. Her spins seemed a LOT more stable! She said in this interview that her 3A looks like it could be ready for the GPS, and that she might try it in the free.

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/08/11/kiji/20190811s00079000227000c.html

Anyway, her skating is delightful and I love her.

medoroa

On the Ice
Yuna is confirmed first after the SP and will skate last in tomorrow's FS. Ladies FS starts tomorrow at 15:50 Japan time. Congratulations! :yes2:

medoroa

On the Ice
I hadn't seen this interview before where she goes into the 3A a bit more.

https://hochi.news/articles/20190811-OHT1T50120.html

She says that when it's going well, she's almost at a place where she can land the 3A cleanly, although she hasn't landed it cleanly in practice yet. She believes she can have it ready in time for the GPS. She also says that in practice she's always doing her FS with a 3A. :think: I can't really figure out where she's going to put it in though... at Gensan her jump layout was

3Lz+2T
3Lz
3F
2A
2A+2T x
3S x
3Lo+1Eu+2S x

so either she skated a completely different layout than intended at Gensan, or the 3A will be her fourth jump??? Also I'm confused about what her intended combinations are, I assume she was going for 2A+3T and 3Lo+1Eu+3S but then she can't do 3Lz+3T. Going for a 3Lz+2T to minimize < calls, and putting (relatively) easier combinations in the last half is one strategy I guess... or her layout might be completely different by US Classic.

She also talks a bit more about the cold she had while competing at Gensan, saying she couldn't drink water or eat or sleep because her throat hurt so much. Hope she's better now!

medoroa

On the Ice
Yuna also answered an interview with Fuji during the training camp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tpZAd_BGYs

- She's been working on improving small details this off-season, including her UR problems from last season, and she believes she's doing better but she's waiting to see how she gets judged at competitions so she can use that feedback.
- Apparently, her Lambiel-choreographed SP is about "taking a time machine to a land of dreams", but when asked what the "land of dreams" is like, she laughs and isn't able to answer. :laugh:
- She's at a stage where she's training towards being able to try something new, but this "something new" (I assume the 3A and 4S) isn't ready for competitions yet.
- A lot of juniors are coming up to seniors, but she's not going to let that bother her and she believes that she too has the potential to develop further.
- She's changed her salchow takeoff 4 times now and seems to think she's found the right takeoff technique that works well for her to do a quad, but she isn't able to create the 100% correct axis yet.
- Her goals for the upcoming season are a secret. But she does say her one big goal is to medal at nationals (I agree, this should be her goal), she just doesn't want to reveal her smaller goals leading up to that.

She seems very realistic and grounded as usual.

medoroa

On the Ice
Miyahara has returned to Japan from US Classic but still no word on Yuna.

I'm getting worried. :( I hope it's nothing serious but I feel like they would already have reported on it if it was something minor or trivial.

medoroa

On the Ice
Miyahara has returned to Japan from US Classic but still no word on Yuna.

I'm getting worried. :( I hope it's nothing serious but I feel like they would already have reported on it if it was something minor or trivial.

Yuna had strep throat and several bursts of the cold, apparently, and stayed in bed for 10 straight days. :( She lowered her difficulty for Kinki regionals and bombed her FS, but finished in 7th place largely thanks to her PCS (which were deserved according to several Japanese fans who attended the event; her components including SS were reportedly in "another league" even with the disastrous elements). She is exempt from the western regional because of her GP assignments, so this means she has now qualified for nationals.

I was extremely worried she might not get through Kinki, so much so I woke up at 5am to check the results page for the FS! Hope to see her recovered and back in form in France. I still haven't seen her FS but fans report it shows a whole new side to her, and I'm waiting anxiously for a broadcast.