Roman Sadovsky | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Roman Sadovsky

JuliaHols

On the Ice
I know that I should keep my expectations in check considering that he was injured just a month ago, but we can always hope for the best, and it would be wonderful if he has a clean SP, not just for the results, but also because I love his "Exogenesis" routine soooooooooooo much! :love: I'm sure this makes me sound like a silly fangirl, but whenever Roman skates to that program, I imagine him to be an otherworldly prince who casts a spell on my soul. :bow:

This is exactly how I feel. I love his skating so much especially to beautiful programs like his Exogenesis. Finally he skated cleanly this short program šŸ˜ and it's just so beautiful.
Praying that he'll skate an equally beautiful free skate, tho I'm not a fan of his Romeo and Juliet (or his purple monstrosity of a costume for that matter, but that's just me. I preferred the turquoise shirt from last year)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm still emotionally devastated after Roman's weak LP performance. :cry: , but this image of him and Conrad being silly did make me laugh :laugh: :
C7MDAtpXgAA_GbF.jpg

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Who is currently coaching him? I thought he'd gone to Cricket Club, yet at World's he's with Wainman again? So almost exactly a year later he's back with her. Hope it works out for him.

This Skate Canada article confirms that he's with Wainman: https://skatecanada.ca/2017/03/cana...su-world-junior-figure-skating-championships/ I wish I knew why things didn't work out with Orser.

This is exactly how I feel. I love his skating so much especially to beautiful programs like his Exogenesis. Finally he skated cleanly this short program �� and it's just so beautiful.

Not just a clean and lovely performance, but also a Personal Best score for that segment! :jump: As a bonus, Roman also had the best costume of the Men's SP at Junior Worlds, IMHO.

Praying that he'll skate an equally beautiful free skate, tho I'm not a fan of his Romeo and Juliet (or his purple monstrosity of a costume for that matter, but that's just me. I preferred the turquoise shirt from last year)

The figure skating gods didn't answer our prayers for his LP, unfortunately. :cry: I agree that his "Romeo & Juliet" routine isn't as captivating (although I do like the choreography more this season that last season). Perhaps I'm in the minority when it comes to the purple costume, but I like it because (in my eyes at least) it makes Roman look more mature. The turquoise outfit, while pretty and elegant, makes him appear too boyish and innocent.

Last edited:

loretta007

Rinkside
I like the details of the purple costume and it shows off the line much better. The timing of the coach change make me wonder what suddenly happened that they had to move back to Tracey just a couple of weeks before the most important competition of the season tho.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
I hope Roman will stabilize his form next season, he's got the goods to be really good skater overall :) But he has to skate more to his true potential!

ITA, but we may have to wait just a little longer. Looking at all the photos from Jr. Worlds, he's grown "up" but hasn't really filled out yet, and this will need to happen before things stabilize for him. Judging by his build, I don't think he's ever going to be a big guy (and that's not a bad thing at all in the skating world!), but he's still sooooooo skinny. Very big sigh........:laugh:......someone needs to start feeding him protein shakes or something......

silverlake22

Record Breaker
ITA, but we may have to wait just a little longer. Looking at all the photos from Jr. Worlds, he's grown "up" but hasn't really filled out yet, and this will need to happen before things stabilize for him. Judging by his build, I don't think he's ever going to be a big guy (and that's not a bad thing at all in the skating world!), but he's still sooooooo skinny. Very big sigh........:laugh:......someone needs to start feeding him protein shakes or something......

Actually Roman filled out quite a lot since last season. He's still skinny by normal people standards but he looks a lot sturdier compared to guys like Conrad or Nam. I feel this is part of what is contributing to his recent struggles, he has a tendency to slow down before entering his jumps and while you can sometimes manage to pull off triples with no speed as a tiny little toothpick, it won't work with a tall grown up body. I think once he can learn how to use his new body to generate more speed and power on the ice, then his jumps will get better and the URs will hopefully go away.

Anyways the CBC coverage of JWC aired yesterday and they mentioned Roman had been dealing with lots of injuries at TCC and that may have contributed to why he left. It sounded like Orser wasn't sure if he should even compete at JWC. But apparently he was supportive of Roman's decision to go back to Tracey and YRSA because he said it's important for skaters to be comfortable in their training environment.

Anyways. Hope he can heal in the offseason and come back strong next year! Despite a rough season I was encouraged by the fact that Roman committed to going for the hard jumps all season. Hopefully that's a step in the right direction.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Conrad has some nice photography skills! :thumbsup:

I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that he took the picture because I initially thought it was done by a professional!

Anyways the CBC coverage of JWC aired yesterday and they mentioned Roman had been dealing with lots of injuries at TCC and that may have contributed to why he left. It sounded like Orser wasn't sure if he should even compete at JWC. But apparently he was supportive of Roman's decision to go back to Tracey and YRSA because he said it's important for skaters to be comfortable in their training environment.

In case anyone was curious, here are the exact quotes from Kurt Browning's commentary:

Roman recently went to Brian Orser's camp, and about a week ago, went back to Tracey. [...] That shift from Brian's camp, big decision. He's been dealing with a lot injuries lately, and Brian wanted to say "Let's make sure you're settled, let's make the decision about going to the Junior World Championships." Roman decided to go back to Tracey. [...] I think he just felt like going home for whatever reason. And I know, I've talked to Brian, and Brian wishes him the best, and wants only to have all skaters where they want to be.

Hope he can heal in the offseason and come back strong next year! Despite a rough season I was encouraged by the fact that Roman committed to going for the hard jumps all season. Hopefully that's a step in the right direction.

I sincerely hope so, too. :yes:

loretta007

Rinkside
In case anyone was curious, here are the exact quotes from Kurt Browning's commentary:

Roman recently went to Brian Orser's camp, and about a week ago, went back to Tracey. [...] That shift from Brian's camp, big decision. He's been dealing with a lot injuries lately, and Brian wanted to say "Let's make sure you're settled, let's make the decision about going to the Junior World Championships." Roman decided to go back to Tracey. [...] I think he just felt like going home for whatever reason. And I know, I've talked to Brian, and Brian wishes him the best, and wants only to have all skaters where they want to be.

I didn't expect this to be the reason he left the TCC but well:bang: I just don't think YRSA can provide enough support that he needs at the moment especially the technical elements.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So did he leave TCC because Brian didn't want him to compete at Jr. Worlds? It sounds more like he was tired of being injured. I don't remember him having injury problems when he was with Tracey so maybe that was part of the appeal.

Anyways I think after a certain point who your coach is doesn't matter that much and personal motivation and work ethic become much bigger determinants in success. Gregory was good at 3a and can probably help Roman with that, and so far Nam seems to be doing well with the same coaching team.

If Roman is willing to work hard and address his weaknesses then chances are he can do better in the future. Also, going back to his old coaching team is not going to prevent him from being able to seek technical help elsewhere if he needs it. Plus I think training with a bunch of Canadian guys his age and ability level is probably more motivating than a bunch of international skaters he's never competed against for the most part, even if some of them are the best in the world.

If he was unhappy or uncomfortable in his previous training situation, it's probably for the best he left. Nam didn't benefit much from sticking it out with Orser last year...

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
OMG, I just saw Roman and Conrad being interviewed during CBC TV's broadcast of the Worlds Exhibition Gala! :party2: It was so unexpected---as far as I can recall, I don't think CBC ever brought in junior-level skaters to the studio during a senior-level event. The interview lasted only a minute or two, but I jumped out of my sofa when I suddenly saw Roman and Conrad standing next to Kurt Browning and Andi Petrillo; I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming! :p

JuliaHols

On the Ice
OMG, I just saw Roman and Conrad being interviewed during CBC TV's broadcast of the Worlds Exhibition Gala! :party2: It was so unexpected---as far as I can recall, I don't think CBC ever brought in junior-level skaters to the studio during a senior-level event. The interview lasted only a minute or two, but I jumped out of my sofa when I suddenly saw Roman and Conrad standing next to Kurt Browning and Andi Petrillo; I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming! :p

is there a link to this video?! wow they must be so excited and happy. i saw it on Roman's ig story