Roman Sadovsky | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Roman Sadovsky

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Conrad shared two snapshots of him and Roman on his Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/p/BSZr_V4DgWt/ I suspect that Kurt is wearing a hat in an attempt to look a little taller (and in the interview, we do catch a glimpse of his shoes, and I think he may be wearing lifts), but there's no hiding the fact that he's dwarfed by the young guys. :biggrin:

I feel so lucky that Roman was featured on yesterday's broadcast! 😁 As I've said before, it's extremely rare for a junior-level figure skater to be interviewed on Canadian television (for instance, Nicolas wasn't interviewed after he won the silver medal at last year's Junior Worlds), and considering that Roman had the lowest placement among the Canadian men at this year's Junior Worlds, the CBC producers could've chosen to ignore him and invite only Conrad to the show. (Nic, who had the highest ranking, obviously wasn't a convenient choice because he was nowhere near Toronto at the time, as he had performed in an ice show in Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac the night before.) Perhaps I'm reading too much into things, but I like to think that the network still regards Roman as a possible hope for the future provided that he overcomes his technical issues related to his height.

He seems a bit taller than Conrad in the interview, so it appears that his growing pains will continue to plague him for some time. :(

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The YRSA ice show took place 2 days ago, and Roman appears in this fancam of the boys-only number:

Roman was also featured in this Pink Floyd group number:

Last edited:

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
Thanks siberia82 for your hard work on these threads! :) Always nice to know what the boys are up to.

Check out the two cute little guys on the left hand side of this photo: http://media.zuza.com/6/5/6505ab46-...0d2/RH_skaters_David_Li_008_WEB___Gallery.jpg

It was taken at the end of Nov. 2014. Hard to believe that Roman is the same youngster as in the picture. :eeking: Conrad is still pretty easily recognizable, but Roman looks like a whole different person.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Roman's individual performances from the YRSA Ice Show! 💗

"Fix You" (I remember Jeff Buttle skated to this as an exhibition 11 years ago):

"Love Never Felt So Good":

Thanks siberia82 for your hard work on these threads! Always nice to know what the boys are up to.

You're very welcome, vintagefigureskater; I'm always happy to contribute in whatever way I can. :)

Check out the two cute little guys on the left hand side of this photo: http://media.zuza.com/6/5/6505ab46-...0d2/RH_skaters_David_Li_008_WEB___Gallery.jpg

Awww, they were both such cutie pies! ☺️

It was taken at the end of Nov. 2014. Hard to believe that Roman is the same youngster as in the picture. :eeking: Conrad is still pretty easily recognizable, but Roman looks like a whole different person.

I completely agree. My current FB profile pic is of Roman in a beautiful pose from this season's "Romeo & Juliet" LP, and one of my fs buddies who doesn't follow junior-level skaters was stunned by the photo and asked me who he was. When I showed him the video of Roman's "Les Misérables" LP from the 2015 Nationals, my pal's reaction was essentially, "OMG, he used to be that kid?! :eek: I couldn't recognize him at all!"

Last edited:

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
Roman's individual performances from the YRSA Ice Show! :luv17:

"Fix You" (I remember Jeff Buttle skated to this as an exhibition 11 years ago): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIKqPToZRAE&t=38m30s

OMG.....that made me cry a little. Thank you so much for sharing! I remember when Jeff did this program (he choreographed it the morning of the show IIRC) and now Roman is following in his footsteps....just wonderful. :love: And was that a quad lutz attempt in the program in addition to the quad sal???

I completely agree. :agree: My current FB profile pic is of Roman in a beautiful pose from this season's "Romeo & Juliet" LP, and one of my fs buddies who doesn't follow junior-level skaters was stunned by the photo and asked me who he was. When I showed him the video of Roman's "Les Misérables" LP from the 2015 Nationals, my pal's reaction was essentially, "OMG, he used to be that kid?! :eek: I couldn't recognize him at all!"
He's practically doubled his size. :laugh: That's an exaggeration of course, but is it any wonder he's struggling with some of his jumps? I'm not willing to write him off quite yet.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The Fix You number is really nice, his edge quality and flow were really apparent. Does he have ballet/dance training background? I'm hoping the jumps will improve, but If he continues to struggle a couple years down the line he may want to consider ice dance. No idea if he has any interest and it's his choice of course, but he's remarkably graceful for a lanky guy with limbs that long, it's nice to see (a departure from Lysacek arm flailing!)

loretta007

Rinkside
The Fix You number is really nice, his edge quality and flow were really apparent. Does he have ballet/dance training background? I'm hoping the jumps will improve, but If he continues to struggle a couple years down the line he may want to consider ice dance. No idea if he has any interest and it's his choice of course, but he's remarkably graceful for a lanky guy with limbs that long, it's nice to see (a departure from Lysacek arm flailing!)

https://skatecanada.ca/2013/08/roman-sadovsky-looking-results-isu-junior-grand-prix-circuit/There was an interview back in 2013 where Tracey mentioned that he was having ballet class everyday, and he went to see National Ballet of Canada's Onegin according to his IG story few months ago so I guess he's at least interested in Ballet:rock:

Grzegorz Filipowski, a 1980 world bronze medalist, admits that it is fun being Sadovsky’s choreographer. “He’s not shy at all,” Filipowski says. “He looks good in any kind of movement and he’s really willing to try things.” Wainman says he takes 30 minutes of ballet a day – and he wants to, something unusual for his age.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
OMG.....that made me cry a little.

While Roman's performance to "Fix You" didn't cause my eyes to become wet, it was certainly the most emotional routine he has ever done, IMHO. :love: With time, I think he'll be able to make me weep "tears of beauty" (I'm not sure if there's a proper term for what I mean) with his ethereal skating. I love how his presentation skills are maturing, and he looks more grown-up with the non-costume. His 18th birthday is 6 weeks away, and he's gradually becoming a very beautiful man and artist on the ice. :)

I remember when Jeff did this program (he choreographed it the morning of the show IIRC) and now Roman is following in his footsteps....just wonderful.

Yes, absolutely! I adored Jeff while he was competing, and it warms my heart to see Roman emulate his idol. :luv17:

And was that a quad lutz attempt in the program in addition to the quad sal???

I don't think so, it just looks like a triple lutz. I don't think I've ever seen a video of him practicing a quad lutz, and I doubt that he'd place it near the end of a program. It's pretty cool that he did a quad Salchow for his first jump; I didn't expect that in an exhibition number! :rock:

I'm not willing to write him off quite yet.

Me neither. :thumbsup: I have no clue if he'll be able to adjust to his height, but I don't want to give up hope. Maybe I'm just a selfish fan, but Roman's skating style is so, so, so lovely to watch that I'm not keen on the idea of him sharing the spotlight with someone else. Moreover, the woman is usually the main focus in ice dance (and pairs), and it's unappealing for me that he'd have more of a supporting role.

he's remarkably graceful for a lanky guy with limbs that long, it's nice to see (a departure from Lysacek arm flailing!)

It's part of what Roman's skating so special. :bow:

Thanks for the article; I wasn't 100% sure if he took ballet lessons, but I had a feeling that he did. I like Filipowski's quote, "He looks good in any kind of movement." Roman could skate to someone reading a phone book, and he'll find a way to make me like it. :p

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I know it's two months late, but if there are non-Canadians who want to listen to the CBC commentary for Roman's Jr. Worlds LP (no short programs were aired), it's now available in 1080p: [Dead link]

There was also a short preview of the Canadian Men:

Last edited: